Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO out of the Kovalev business..???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HBO is tanking with boxing. They may drop boxing from their programming soon. It sucks that HBO is struggling so much now with boxing shows. HBO used to be the standard bearer for boxing. SMH

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
      Exactly. It's crap that a ranked fighter no matter how up the ladder he goes doesn't get the coverage because they've decided he's not PPV material. Look at football (soccer), tennis, even MMA....you're ranking is recognised and is given coverage period, not up to bean counters deciding how many tickets will sell.
      To be fair, I think this has less to do with HBO not being interested in Alvarez and more to do with the fact that there isn't room in the budget to do the rematch regardless of the winner. They might have planned on paying for Kovalev-Bivol, but that's a fight that would have done a higher number and by doing the rematch they'd still need to find money for a Bivol fight.
      Last edited by paulf; 08-29-2018, 06:11 PM.

Comment

The fight is probably SHO bound now. Kov is not the A-Side and Alvarez is a PBC fighter.
        Hell this may be a double header with Stevenson-Gvozdyk.

Comment

Not exactly...HBO has declined to pick up the bout, while retaining its right to match any offer made by another party.

Sounds more like HBO still wants the fight but wants to renegotiate what they will pay for it. I think this may backfire. This rematch is actually more interesting, at least to me, than the first meeting. Put it up for bid and they might be surprised.

Comment

kovalev is ****ing finished.

ward ruined him.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
              Hearn better book it...

HBO's Max Kellerman just wants to trash on Kovalev anyway to give his idol credit
              Exactly, watching the last Kovalev fight, I had an impression that Kovalev wasn't an HBO fighter, more something like Kellerman's biggest enemy or something.

And good call, it would be nice if Hearn signed him.

Comment

Originally posted by kingstip9 View Post
                would love to see him avenge the loss then see if another network brings him over.
                I would love it too, but realistically I'm sad to say I don't think it would happen. But yeah, Kovalev don't have much time left if he wants to defeat any elite light-heavyweight, he must do it now because if he takes some time fighting B level fighters, he's only going to get older and more vulnerable.

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post
                  Not exactly...HBO has declined to pick up the bout, while retaining its right to match any offer made by another party.

Sounds more like HBO still wants the fight but wants to renegotiate what they will pay for it. I think this may backfire. This rematch is actually more interesting, at least to me, than the first meeting. Put it up for bid and they might be surprised.
                  That's exactly how they lost Stevenson and Mayweather.

And we already know Hearn and Top Rank are gonna bid more than HBO is willing to pay for it.

Comment

First fight did something like 700K and Kovalev has dropped 3 inside the last 24 months. If Hearn or Arum want to overpay for it, HBO should let them.

Comment

If he fights that kid again he will get hurt! He was a hype job who couldn't stop a 90 year old Hopkins! He had no answers for Ward and when he came in soft for his last bout he got beat up!

He made some money, now go home!

Ray

Comment

Working...
                      X