Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jett Travolta and Exodus Tyson: Both children, both dead, why different?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jett Travolta and Exodus Tyson: Both children, both dead, why different?

If anyone has noticed, since the death of Exodus Tyson yesterday, there has been very little media attention associated with this tragedy. While I'm sure Mike prefers it that way, I can't help but notice a stark contrast in the media's coverage of the events. It is as if Mike Tyson's actions as a human being have trickled down and consequently lessened the tragedy that is his daughter's death.

Jett Travolta died of a seizure. He had a history of seizures and though his death was unexpected, it was certainly not "lightning striking", by any means. In comparison, the death of Exodus Tyson was very random and by all means a shock to everyone. Not only was she younger, but she died in a much more astonishing fashion.

However, with that said, Mike Tyson is known as a "bad guy" and Travolta is known as a "good guy". Because of this distinction the public and the media view the deaths differently. Jett Travolta gets All Access Hollywood specials and Exodus gets the back page. It really gives some perpective on how we are viewed based on who we are associated with.

If the situations were reversed and Jett Travolta had been the one wrapped in an electrical chord, the media would be in mourning and we wouldn't stop hearing about it for a month. But because Exodus is the son of a convicted rapist and all around "bad guy", her death is minimalized and pushed into the last line of the news as a "nice to know".

How is one child's death more relevant than the others? They're not, it's just the media and public perception. Exodus Tyson was just as innocent as Jett Travolta and deserves the same respect he was given.

Rest in Peace, both of you. Equally.

i agree

also, doesnt help that tyson is black.

racism is still alive and thriving even though most people just turn a blind eye

Comment

Media favors white people when there are missing persons cases or deaths.

Just take a look at Nancy Grace's track history. 95% of her shows are about missing pregnant wives or little white girls.

Comment

Originally posted by r ! z View Post
        i agree

also, doesnt help that tyson is black.

racism is still alive and thriving even though most people just turn a blind eye
        Good point. Black kids die on the streets everyday, but you only hear about the six year old blond white girl who's been missing for an hour and a half.

Comment

Whites control the Media, therefore they make it a huge thing when it involves White people.

You barely see Blacks making it in the media unless they've done a crime.

It's pathetic, that's why i don't pay attention to the media.

Why do you think the Lacy Peterson case went that long and was reported in all media channels? because she's White, what about the Caley Anthony murder case? because she's WHITE!.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
            Media favors white people when there are missing persons cases or deaths.

Just take a look at Nancy Grace's track history. 95% of her shows are about missing pregnant wives or little white girls.
            Originally posted by dans01234 View Post
            Good point. Black kids die on the streets everyday, but you only hear about the six year old blond white girl who's been missing for an hour and a half.
            not to stir up racial **** but it's true

a person dying, getting kidnapped, etc is a horrible thing despite skin color but i cant help but notice things like that.

for example, that natalie holloway chick is still talked about to this day. what happened to her was terrible, especially after that douchebag admitted to what he did (while being secretly taped) but i doubt that many special segments and talkshows would be dedicated to her if it that would have happened to "Maria Consuelo" or "Shaniqua Jackson"

Comment

a person dying, getting kidnapped, etc is a horrible thing despite skin color but i cant help but notice things like that.

for example, that natalie holloway chick is still talked about to this day. what happened to her was terrible, especially after that douchebag admitted to what he did (while being secretly taped) but i doubt that many special segments and talkshows would be dedicated to her if it that would have happened to "Maria Consuelo" or "Shaniqua Jackson"
              There needs to be more racial diversity among the media's elite. I can't blame a reporter for reading a story they've been handed. The bias comes from the top and trickles down. It can also be looked at as a product of public demand. Most of the money is controlled by white people, therefore they dictate the content. Generalizing, white people want to see criminal blacks/latinos and tragedies of other white people.

Comment

It could just be wishful thinking, but i don't think this is a black or white thing, i think its a celebrity status thing, in this day and age, john travolta is higher on the celeb scale than mike tyson. Obama is black and if he had something terrible happen in his immediate family it would get significant coverage, because of his celebrity status. I work in the media, and i think alot of the reason there is less coverage here is that Tyson has asked for privacy and is not commenting or having reps comment, whereas the travolta's had a pr person speaking to the media, and honestly unless you can get comments from the family in situations like this, its concidered poor taste to provide extensive coverage.

Comment

What was the confession of the Holloway case? I actually stopped caring about the case for that simple fact. It was like the hottest topic yet they can't give more than 5 minutes of air time.

I think Holloway's case really irritated me because around the same time frame, a little black girl in Philly was kidnapped for about a week. It made some tiny news headline, like in the footer, no big deal. The girl was like 7 or 8. She was held captive, bound and duct taped about 3 miles from her home. She ended up chewing threw her restraints and sneaking out and running to her grandmas house. It received no attention and I was so disgusted, because if the girl was a white girl; Jesus Christ would have awoken to help in the search and rescue efforts.

Its sad and I'm sure Mike appreciates the privacy. But I doubt it has to do with the rape convictions and stuff. Mike is still pretty beloved. Its just the way it goes in the media world. Things are still pretty black and white

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
                    It could just be wishful thinking, but i don't think this is a black or white thing, i think its a celebrity status thing, in this day and age, john travolta is higher on the celeb scale than mike tyson. Obama is black and if he had something terrible happen in his immediate family it would get significant coverage, because of his celebrity status. I work in the media, and i think alot of the reason there is less coverage here is that Tyson has asked for privacy and is not commenting or having reps comment, whereas the travolta's had a pr person speaking to the media, and honestly unless you can get comments from the family in situations like this, its concidered poor taste to provide extensive coverage.
                    Mike Tyson is one of the most recognized celebrities in the world, and in sports, They're both equal when it comes to recognition.

It is a race issue, Whites control the Media.

Comment

Working...
                    X