No announcement yet.

Sports Science Reality

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
    There are records and there are landmarks and sometimes they are the same. I am not thinking of the right word. Watermark? In track and field many of them have fallen. There was the 20 foot barrier in pole vault, but that fell; there was the 8 foot barrier in high jump, and that fell. There are few other landmark...watermark, er, barriers left in track. The 30 foot barrier in the long jump is the last of those classic barriers. We are not even close enough to other possible new barriers to consider them seriously right now.
    30 feet..wow! Can't imagine... when that one is challenged better take a parachute.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      Assuming they do not change the way its done... Lets consider Marciano's record for a moment....I don't want to talk out of my posterior, and I have to say I don't know off the top of my head how many of the Rock's battles were 15 rounders... but certainly when a championship fight became 12 rounds, there is no doubt in my mind that this made his record of wins more accessible. Yet we don't really hear about that do we?

I can see a similar situation with the Lineal. If the fans take the power back then this title will mean what it was designed for, we might see some real effort and even a shot at that record. BUt its tough lol.
      Yeah plus didn't Louis fight more often than boxers fight these days? That probably also contributed to that record.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        Yeah plus didn't Louis fight more often than boxers fight these days? That probably also contributed to that record.
        Yeah, good point.

Comment

Right, Tony. No modern heavyweight is going to fight as often as Louis. Period.

Comment

Yeah, I mean it was the Bum of the Month Club, not Bum of the Year.

Comment

Working...
            X