No announcement yet.

Wildredo Benitez, how good was he?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
    I think the comparison to Miguel Cotto would be a very good comparison in terms of where he ranks in history. A great fighter who fought in an era of special fighters. And another ATG Puerto Rican fighter as well. Usually, ranks around #4 behind Tito, Gomez, and Carlos Ortiz. Although I have seen some rank him behind Camacho and Rosario.

I wouldn't compare Judah to him in terms of wins. He's far more respected in the sport than Judah is and ever will be.

He would most likely rank a "Top 5" win on any fighters resume in almost any era.
    you think cotto is comparable to benitez in any way??? he has 3 wins that crush cottos best win. cottos best win is what 36 year old mosley??? or crippled 39 year old martinez??? dont talk crazy! when they say they dont make um like they used to, its true.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      you think cotto is comparable to benitez in any way??? he has 3 wins that crush cottos best win. cottos best win is what 36 year old mosley??? or crippled 39 year old martinez??? dont talk crazy! when they say they dont make um like they used to, its true.
      If compared side by side Benitez in him prime was much more impressive but he lacked the longevity of Cotto.

I do think it's a fair comparison to say if it wasn't for Hearns and Leonard, Benitez would have been the top Welterweight in the world. I think the same can be said about Cotto who would have been the best Welterweight if it wasn't for Mayweather and Manny.

But at the same time, Cotto lost to smaller guys while Radar lost to bigger guys.

Maybe Mosley would be a better comparison in terms of where he would rank on a fighters resume. Kinda of that higher 2nd-tier but not quite a 1st Tier. Because although he was just as good as Mayweather and Manny who will never rank above them in history nor carry the same weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny2x2x View Post
        Fair enough. IS he a top 100 all time fighter?
        I think so. He was truly a natural and special talent. One of the best defensive fighters ever.

Comment

He was a very special fighter but didn't take his career seriously enough to achieve his true potential. Just look at how badly he schooled Duran, he could've achieved a lot more than he did, even in that era. Very talented, great defense.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
            I think so. He was truly a natural and special talent. One of the best defensive fighters ever.
            Thanks for the input. Sounds like he had a few highlights, was very good in his time, but then lost to some guys as he went up in competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny2x2x View Post
              Compares to Zab Judah? Eric Morales? Somewhere in between?
              Morales was light years better than Judah ever was.

Benitez was B to B+ level for back then.

Yes he beat Duran, but Duran at 154 wasn't the same Duran. Duran was at his best at 135-140 --- with 147 being his summit. The guy started at 118 namsayin?

It's like Mosley at 154, that was never his weight.

Comment

benitez was a lot better than cotto. come on now. cotto is easier to appreciate because he actually trained like he cared but benitez in his prime was better in almost all areas of boxing.

cotto does not beat palomino or cervantes.

Comment

Working...
                X