Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul Williams is going back to picking on the little guys... Again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he can make the weight, then there should be no issue. Maybe there should be same day weigh in's, but until then, it is what it is.

Comment

This again...

What is his "own size"? Light Heavy, Cruiserweight?

It's beyond ridiculous that people expect him to fight guys who are naturally 25-50 pounds heavier just so they are the "same size" based on height and reach. Do you not get that he has a different body structure and if he were to fight in the higher weight classes he would be severally blown up and put at a disadvantage.

He could have been hiding out at 147 the whole time but instead he was willing to fight anyone from 147-160 including the middleweight champ, yet apparently that's still not enough.

Comment

This **** is so lame. Most of the top guys at 147 are more than capable of fighting at 154 and they are big Welterweights themselves. Mosley has fought at 154. Mayweather fought Oscar at 154 and looked like a Middleweight when he beat JMM. Clottey is crying about not being able to make 147. It goes to show you how dedicated Williams is athletically that he can make 147. It's what separates him from guys like Hatton and even Cotto to a certain extent.

Comment

Having a height advantage doesn't always mean an easy win. Paul doesn't fight straight up. Most of the time he's hunched over because he's fighting guys that are shorter than him. I'm excited to see him back at welterweight again but I don't think that he's going to dominate the division. Sergio Martinez gave everybody the blue print on how to fight Paul. Even though the win went to Paul, I think Sergio should have got the MD.

Comment

He can't handle a solid boxer with a strong punch above 147. Quintana outboxed him so did Martinez, the difference is that Martinez rocked him, Quintana didn't.

Pavlik would probably knock him the **** out, he has the reach and enough boxing ability to keep Williams exactly where he wants him.

Regardless I think Williams wont be able to drop to 147 so easily this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
              I do because it's within the rules.
              Exactly, i'm sure there are plenty of boxers who would do the same if they could.

Comment

I think the martinez fight took him to deep water and maybe just maybe he is doubting himself. I really think any good puncher from SMW would shatter his chin. *wink* *wink* kelly pavlik..

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
                  If he can make the weight, then there should be no issue. Maybe there should be same day weigh in's, but until then, it is what it is.
                  See the thing to me is, its not really that important what they weigh in at the day before a fight but more what they weigh during the actual fight when it really matters.

There is a weight class designed for fighters based on your natural size you can be either a WW, a JMW, or a MW not all 3.

If he is a WW now so what then was he the "smaller man" against Martinez a JMW when they fought at MW and both weighed 166 during the actual fight?

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                    See the thing to me is, its not really that important what they weigh in at the day before a fight but more what they weigh during the actual fight when it really matters.

There is a weight class designed for fighters based on your natural size you can be either a WW, a JMW, or a MW not all 3.

If he is a WW now so what then was he the "smaller man" against Martinez a JMW when they fought at MW and both weighed 166 during the actual fight?
                    Very good point. I was actually watching Williams/Quintana I last night, & If I recall correctly, PWill was about 18 pounds over the ww limit on fight night.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post

He won't weigh 166 come fight night for a fight at welterweight. He could well come in 160, but so do Margarito, Cotto, Mosley etc etc. The guy is tall but he's skinny as ****. I class him and Cintron as the same size. 154 is probably their best weight, but with the ability to reach 147 and 160 depending on the circumstances.

Still, none of this changes the fact that if he can make the weight, he can fight there. Every fighter would go looking for big fights at a lower weightclass if they could make the weight. Most can't, Paul Williams can. He can do whatever the **** he wants as far as i'm concerned.

Comment

Working...
                      X