Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 PM #31
Up and Comer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shovelhook is on a distinguished road
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 12,213.68

Quote:
Originally Posted by arraamis View Post
I posted this to get some feedback from fans .... and it would seem that only a few picked up on the irony.

Khan's situation is strikingly similar to Brooks, minus the obvious opponent variations and perceived totem pole levels.

Dirk asked "What is controversial about them?"

Its not a question of controversy, its an observation that many boxer's and even fans do not acknowledge exist. That without an active authoritative organization few if any boxer's will ever get the shot they think they deserve. This authority used to be the governing bodies within boxing. Now, the so-called governing bodies apparently can't even regulate or dictate who deserves a shot at their titles.

And it further raises the concern where popularity enables some to dictate what happens and with whom, to the detriment of the sport. What happens when the most popular boxer's who enjoy such dictatorial power retire?

When the big names start to retire, its going to become a major concern for those who are late to the realization, that in reality, they have no leverage at all without a functioning governing organization in boxing.

This may be a fly-by for some so-called fans ...
This. This is correct.

That said, do you think that the nature of boxing (i.e. boxers can only fight 3-4 times per year, perhaps due to health concerns) means that the only way it will ever run is through a popularity contest, since we'll never ever get to see a round robin of the top 10-20 fighters? Fewer fights means each fight draws a bigger chunk of revenue, meaning you have to make the most popular fights to survive as a sport/organisation/entity meaning you bow to the momentum of popularity rather than a centrally organised, scheduled set of fights?

But yes, I think you hit the nail on the head.
Shovelhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-27-2014, 07:52 PM #32
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
arraamis has a reputation beyond reputearraamis has a reputation beyond reputearraamis has a reputation beyond reputearraamis has a reputation beyond reputearraamis has a reputation beyond reputearraamis has a reputation beyond reputearraamis has a reputation beyond reputearraamis has a reputation beyond reputearraamis has a reputation beyond reputearraamis has a reputation beyond reputearraamis has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,635,240,109,744,952.50
Total Points: 2,649,833,880,331,502.00
Tasty - ??? No Message - arraamis No Message - arraamis No Message - arraamis No Message - arraamis 
No Message - arraamis Tasty... - ??? have one on me! - Alx. have a gift bro - chiguy91 Gift - eddie_monster 
Well done on 4k posts :D - *Boss Lady* Vday love :D - *Boss Lady* No Message - chiguy91 have a gift bro. - chiguy91 thx - Starof David 
please return the favor, bro. - RossCA No Message - RossCA No Message - RossCA No Message - FkDaHtrs great poster - sugarsmosley 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Kuyukut Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - ??? Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - arraamis Childhood Cancer - arraamis 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - ??? Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - chiguy91 Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - chiguy91 Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - MANGLER Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Starof David 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Starof David Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Starof David Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Starof David Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Starof David Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Jury 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - RossCA Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - RossCA Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - FkDaHtrs Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - FkDaHtrs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhook View Post
This. This is correct.

That said, do you think that the nature of boxing (i.e. boxers can only fight 3-4 times per year, perhaps due to health concerns) means that the only way it will ever run is through a popularity contest, since we'll never ever get to see a round robin of the top 10-20 fighters? Fewer fights means each fight draws a bigger chunk of revenue, meaning you have to make the most popular fights to survive as a sport/organisation/entity meaning you bow to the momentum of popularity rather than a centrally organised, scheduled set of fights?

But yes, I think you hit the nail on the head.
The current trend, where popularity (Big Draw Boxers) based events are staged is running its course. We currently only have a few boxer's that are considered top draws, and when they start to retire it is going to have a major impact on the sport. Because not many other boxer's have really been developed to become a name-brand, that non-hardcore fans will pay to see.

The plus-side of the present business model is that the promoters, networks and boxers are cashing in profits. But the down-side is that once these boxers retire, there is going to be a drought because only a few up & coming can really carry the event torch. Another down-side is new talent exposure -- Since the top-guns won't fight a new-comer, their exposure is very limited.

Take for example that 2015 will be Pac's and Floyd's last year in boxing. Because they have been the main cash cows, who's going to pickup the slack? {Canelo for GBP and (?) for TR} There's really no one else who can produce the CONSISTENT PPV numbers that Pac & Floyd generated. And really Canelo is limited in his attraction to a pure US market. Sure, he will always have the Mexican market to capitalize on - But outside of that demographic who really knows Canelo in the US?

When the Organizations were more involved in the equation, everyone got exposure because of that round-robin routine. Since it has been eliminated, only certain names have gotten any exposure at all. So, bottom-line 800K-900K PPV's is gone after Pac and Floyd and Canelo will be lucky to pull in those numbers going forward.

That's why I stated that Khan and others, should be fighting as often as possible regardless of the level of competition, because their exposure to the general populace is still very limited. And in this business, you have to make as much noise as possible whenever you can. And when I state "noise" I'm not referring to running your mouth .... I mean getting out and kicking some azz as often as possible. Because the door is going to be wide open for the one that does just that.
arraamis is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
comments, khan's, think?

User Tag List