No announcement yet.

Floyd and Mikey at 135

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd and Mikey at 135

You assume this thread will be about a fantasy match between Mikey and Floyd at 135 but not so. I got a realization I want to present. When Floyd was at 135 he called out welterweights on numerous occasions, in particular Oscar and Shane.

I thought Floyd was a small guy but I never once doubted he could move up from 35 to 47, challenge and defeat any fighter at those weights. History shows that he was able to do just that yet when Mikey says he will move up from 135-140-147 I have 0 confidence that he can successfully challenge and defeat hardly any of the current welterweight champions.

So why do/did boxing fans including myself take Floyd seriously about moving up and giving him a great chance to be successful yet we have no confidence in Mikey's abilities to accomplish the same thing? Is there a difference, are they not attempting the same goals?
    Last edited by Code Red; 01-10-2019, 06:27 PM.

Originally posted by Code Red View Post
    You assume this thread will be about a fantasy match between Mikey and Floyd at 135 but not so. I got a realization I want to present. When Floyd was at 135 he called out welterweights on numerous occasions, in particular Oscar and Shane.

I thought Floyd was a small guy but I never once doubted he could move up from 35 to 47, challenge and defeat any fighter at those weights. History shows that he was able to do just that yet when Mikey says he will move up from 135-140-147 I have 0 confidence that he can successfully challenge and defeat hardly any of the current welterweight champions.

So why do/did boxing fans including myself take Floyd seriously about moving up and giving him a great chance to be successful yet we have no confidence in Mikey's abilities to accomplish the same thing? Is there a difference, are they not attempting the same goals?
    Floyd’s a bigger guy, definitely in terms of wingspan.
    The main reason though, is Floyd was far more skilled, especially defensively. He also has far superior hand and foot speed, so you could easily have pictured Floyd outboxing and outpointing bigger opponents, landing shots moving in and out of range, whilst also remaining elusive and difficult to catch. I don’t think you could make the same case for Mikey.

Comment

Edit: I definitely didn't read the actual question at hand and thought this was about a potential hypothetical match up SMH.

As for the question at hand, I do think Mikey can successfully fight at WW. I mean he would be a favorite right now against guys like DSG and probably even Porter. He also won a title at 140 last year and has fought at 140 in two of his last three fights. Basically only going up one weight class and not two.

Floyd had more explosiveness and physical gifts that made the jump easier for him, and also had the height. Mikey though has the heavier hands and definitely has the IQ to compete with most WWs. I'm expecting a good fight against Spence!
      Last edited by KTFOKING; 01-10-2019, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Mikey got marked up at 140. 147 is going to be bigger problems

Comment

Mayweather was far more talented and had tremendous defense....Mikey is good but he is slow, flatfooted and has leaky stand still defense...

Comment

But I love Mikey's confidence and have nothing bad to say about him

Comment

That is not a very accurate picture of how things were. Mayweather was champion at 130 lbs at the young age of 21. He slowly moved up the weight classes as he out grew them. He never fought a welterweight when he was still a natural lightweight. When Mayweather started fighting at 147 he was a hard muscular full sized welterweight who could no longer make 135. In contrast Mikey is 31 years old and his growing days are long gone. Mikey can still easily make 135. I would give Mikey an excellent chance to beat any welterweight but Spence. I think Spence will beat Mikey not because he is bigger but because I think Spence is a better fighter even pfp, MAN DOWN!

Comment

Because Floyd is a better fighter plus you're in love with him.

Comment

Another Hypothetical win for Floyd... lol

Comment

Tell us about the time Floyd moved from 135 to 147 to fight a undefeated 28 yr old champion who is a big welterweight... Oh wait.. You cant

Comment

Working...
                    X