Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Per ESPN Canelo vs Jacobs generated more then 48M in subscriptions

Per Fat boy Dan

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41064029-4

The Canelo Alvarez-Daniel Jacobs middleweight championship fight had more than 1.2 million viewers watching across DAZN’s eight territories, the streaming service announced Wednesday. More than 700,000 devices – some on $20 monthly plans and some on $100 annual subscriptions – were tuned into the fight with more than 600,000 of the concurrent streams coming from the United States, a source with knowledge of the figures told ESPN, adding that the fight generated more revenue in new subscriptions than the roughly $48 million cost of the main event. The fight was the second of Alvarez’s five-year, 11-fight, $365 million deal with DAZN
    Last edited by bigdunny1; 05-09-2019, 10:25 AM.

They still only get ten bucks from me

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
      Per Fat boy Dan

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41064029-4

The Canelo Alvarez-Daniel Jacobs middleweight championship fight had more than 1.2 million viewers watching across DAZN’s eight territories, the streaming service announced Wednesday. More than 700,000 devices – some on $20 monthly plans and some on $100 annual subscriptions – were tuned into the fight with more than 600,000 of the concurrent streams coming from the United States, a source with knowledge of the figures told ESPN, adding that the fight generated more revenue in new subscriptions than the roughly $48 million cost of the main event. The fight was the second of Alvarez’s five-year, 11-fight, $365 million deal with DAZN
      How do those numbers make sense though? 1 million subs at $15 dollars each = $15 million.

DAZN does seem excited by the numbers though so maybe there is a revenue stream there I am missing.

Edit - OK I guess they are using the full revenue of yearly subscriptions bought there towards the $48+ million number. Not taking the $9 annual number.

If they have 1.2 million subs - if 400k are annual - that's $40 million. Then 800k would be monthly - so that's $16 million.

So by those numbers they would make $56 million for this fight/month. They seem to really like the numbers though. I wonder what the next few months will look like for them.
      Last edited by Boxing_1013; 05-08-2019, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Awesome! DAZN is a great platform. Happy to see it succeed.

Comment

Man, it's kinda crazy to think about where they started and how far they've gotten in such little time.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
            How do those numbers make sense though? 1 million subs at $15 dollars each = $15 million.

DAZN does seem excited by the numbers though so maybe there is a revenue stream there I am missing.
            This and the report last week that they were close to 1M subscribers and we know of their subscribers at least 600K watched it live makes it all but impossible for them to not have already hit 1M subscribers.

Some bought the $99 subscription and other bought the 1 month $20 subscription. You would assume more likely bought the 1 month then 1 year. But is it 50/50? My guess is 1/4 bought the $99 and more bought 1 month to test out DAZN. If that's the case then that's 1.2M Subscribers. If it's 50/50 and half are yearly that's 800,000 subscribers.
            Last edited by bigdunny1; 05-08-2019, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Edit - OK I guess they are using the full revenue of yearly subscriptions bought there towards the $48+ million number. Not taking the $9 annual number.

If they have 1.2 million subs - if 400k are annual - that's $40 million. Then 800k would be monthly - so that's $16 million.

So by those numbers they would make $56 million for this fight/month. They seem to really like the numbers though. I wonder what the next few months will look like for them.
              where did you get 15 dollars from...it states 20 dollars and 100 dollars

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                This and the report last week that they were close to 1M subscribers and we know of their subscribers at least 600K watched it live makes it all but impossible for them to not have already hit 1M subscribers.

Some bought the $99 subscription and other bought the 1 month $20 subscription. You would assume more likely bought the 1 month then 1 year. But is it 50/50? My guess is 1/4 bought the $20 1 month to test out DAZN. If that's the case then that's 1.2M Subscribers. If it's 50/50 and half are yearly that's 800,000 subscribers.
                Yeah I got ya. I realized after I posted that they were probably using the annual purchases (like mine) towards that $48+ million number. Impressive and exciting I think. Kind of interested to see where they end up for the year.

Every month they will not be getting the Canelo bump in buys. But every month they don't need to pay Canelo either. The GGG fight with Rolls will do hardly anything big imo. Joshua's subs may have already bought in before.

DAZN seems genuinely excited by the numbers though so that's cool. Would love to pay $100 a year for the next 10 years and get 20 watchable/great fights a year.

Comment

Originally posted by LADIV View Post
                  where did you get 15 dollars from...it states 20 dollars and 100 dollars
                  I was roughly averaging the average monthly cost of the annual purchase($9) with the one month cost ($20). Assuming the subs were roughly 50/50 of monthly buys and annual buys.

I realize they are using the whole $100 now towards the revenue numbers for this month. A little slick math I think but they are genuinely excited by the numbers so that's a good thing imo.

It's just every month they aren't going to get all those annual buys they got this month from Canelo.

Comment

I was roughly averaging the average monthly cost of the annual purchase($9) with the one month cost ($20). Assuming the subs were roughly 50/50 of monthly buys and annual buys.

I realize they are using the whole $100 now towards the revenue numbers for this month. A little slick math I think but they are genuinely excited by the numbers so that's a good thing imo.

It's just every month they aren't going to get all those annual buys they got this month from Canelo.
                    they will do pretty well with numbers once the Joshua fight comes.....after that who knows what numbers will look like
                    The ufc fights should add to those numbers as well

Comment

Working...
                    X