No announcement yet.

Can someone please explain to me why Lomachenko NEEDS Teofimo Lopez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please explain to me why Lomachenko NEEDS Teofimo Lopez

Lately I’ve been seeing people clamoring for Loma to take the fight with Lopez, that he NEEDS to fight him. Can someone please tell me why fighting a 21 year old prospect with no notable wins nor a belt is such a top priority all of a sudden? Other than Lopez looking pretty good against no hopers and having potential why does Loma need this guy right away when he has nothing to offer? I’d rather have Tank, Mikey, Farmer, Berchelt, or Commey. Is there something that I’m missing? Its the same thing that’s happened to Walters where people wanted Loma to fight him. The fight was made, Loma makes easy work of Walters, and then all of a sudden Walters is considered a bum. Do you guys really want the same thing to happen to Lopez?

Lomachenko doesn't "need" anybody. I really like Lopez but asking a 21 year old with just 12 pro fights to beat one of the best in the world P4P is crazy. He needs to prove himself first against better competition before he should be considered a big threat to Lomachenko.
    Last edited by pillowfists98; 04-08-2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

They had to create a boogeyman for lomachenko and this is the best they could come up with.

Comment

Why does Lomachenko "need" to fight Crolla or Marriaga or Pedraza or Sosa? This isn't about Lomachenko needing to fight Lopez, because he doesn't technically "need" to fight anyone. But why are so many people opposed to the Lopez showdown, especially if he shows he is world level if he dominates someone of Pedraza's caliber? It is perfectly fine to want Lopez to have at least one good win against a top level LW, I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. But I don't get why so many people are against this fight and keep saying this win won't matter much since people will say Lopez is too small. I mean why is that Lomachenko's problem? Lopez fight will also likely provide a very nice payday to Lomachenko as Arum will possibly put that fight on PPV.

Comment

people who want fighters to lose always say this type of thing

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
            Why does Lomachenko "need" to fight Crolla or Marriaga or Pedraza or Sosa? This isn't about Lomachenko needing to fight Lopez, because he doesn't technically "need" to fight anyone. But why are so many people opposed to the Lopez showdown, especially if he shows he is world level if he dominates someone of Pedraza's caliber? It is perfectly fine to want Lopez to have at least one good win against a top level LW, I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. But I don't get why so many people are against this fight and keep saying this win won't matter much since people will say Lopez is too small. I mean why is that Lomachenko's problem? Lopez fight will also likely provide a very nice payday to Lomachenko as Arum will possibly put that fight on PPV.
            Well for one thing Marriaga was a late replacement after Salido backed out of a career high payday in a rematch with Loma, and Loma was obligated to fight Pedraza since he got a belt. I'm opposed to a Lopez showdown because if Loma were to fight him right now without Lopez having a notable win or a belt an easy win over Lopez will be immediately scrutinized. Let Lopez fight someone with a pulse and actually EARN himself a fight with Loma first.
            Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 04-08-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

They all need each other. That could be a big fight for him. Loma is a small guy so he is not going to make it up to the Money Divisions like 147 so yeah he is going to need Teofimo, Tank Davis, Richard Commey, Miguel Berchelt all these guys in and around his Divisions to eventually have that big PPV Fight. Right now he doesn't have a dance partner to do PPV.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
                Well for one thing Marriaga was a late replacement after Salido backed out of a career high payday in a rematch with Loma, and Loma was obligated to fight Pedraza since he got a belt. I'm opposed to a Lopez showdown because if Loma were to fight him right now without Lopez having a notable win or a belt an easy win over Lopez will be immediately scrutinized. Let Lopez fight someone with a pulse and actually EARN himself a fight with Loma first.
                But that's the plan, no? Arum himself said they want Lopez to fight a top LW contender/champion and then Lomachenko. So say Lopez washed Pedraza, why wouldn't you want to see the Lopez fight? Would clearly show what level Lopez is at and that he is worthy of fighting Lomachenko since he's a level above most recent opponents of his. I fully understand wanting Lopez to get at least one good win as that is fair, but Top Rank isn't just throwing Lopez in there without one good win. Now that wouldn't be fair to either fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                  But that's the plan, no? Arum himself said they want Lopez to fight a top LW contender/champion and then Lomachenko. So say Lopez washed Pedraza, why wouldn't you want to see the Lopez fight? Would clearly show what level Lopez is at and that he is worthy of fighting Lomachenko since he's a level above most recent opponents of his. I fully understand wanting Lopez to get at least one good win as that is fair, but Top Rank isn't just throwing Lopez in there without one good win. Now that wouldn't be fair to either fighter.
                  Going by what you're saying you want Loma to fight Lopez over fighting Davis, Berchelt, Farmer, Commey, Mikey, guys that are actually champions?? Lopez is at the bottom of the priority list for Loma, unless he holds a belt.
                  Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 04-08-2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
                    Going by what you're saying you want Loma to fight Lopez over fighting Davis, Berchelt, Farmer, Commey, Mikey, guys that are actually champions?? Lopez is at the bottom of the priority list for Loma, unless he holds a belt.
                    Okay, so now this is a totally different discussion and I'm not sure how you can imply all that from what I said lol.

But I actually give Lopez a better shot than any of the fighters you named to beat Lomachenko. His style/size/strength is going to be a huge problem for Lomachenko.

Berchelt? Solid fight but that fight goes only one way.

Farmer? He has little to no shot against Lomachenko.

Commey fight is perfectly fine. No problem with it.

I'd love the Mikey fight, that is still a mega fight with two top 10 P4P fighters.

I've been calling for Davis' team to put him in with Lomachenko for a while. I think that is a very competitive fight that Davis probably loses a close decision. But that loss by no means hurts his stock or hurts him in the future, in fact it does the opposite.

And speaking of Davis and Garcia, those fights are a lot a whole a lot harder to make than the Lopez fight. I'd love for a lot of the fights to happen you mentioned but for one reason or another, some of them won't happen anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X