No announcement yet.

Eubank on his resume!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eubank on his resume!

My resume was as good as you can possibly get for a world champion resume.

Apart from Nigel Benn... Rocchigiani, Holmes, (and) Malinga were (all) former and future world champions. Michael Watson and Thornton only lost to (the) world's best pound-for-pound fighters challenging.

And then there was Commonwealth, European and North American champions. And I was back in the gymnasium on the Monday after each fight because I had to be - I defended the world championship more than any world champion of the last six or seven decades or more I believe.

I was in my early and mid-20s when I did it, a kid.
    Decent 'argument'!
    Last edited by coghaugen; 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM.

Originally posted by coghaugen View Post
    I was in my early and mid-20s when I did it, a kid.
    He has a solid resume, but It could of been so much better. He fought in the same period as the likes of Jones, Nunn, Toney and McCallum. How did he manage to "miss" all of those guys?

Comment

Slimphley the best! One of my favourite all time fighters. The beef with benn was hilarious! haha

Comment

Hi Ironmike,

The question could be asked, how could all of those fighters miss Eubank? They would have all got a super payday out of him.

I suppose all had their reasons:

Nunn wanted to fight the winner of Eubank vs Benn 2 and it was a draw!

Jones peaked in 1995 whereas Eubank suffered the Collins losses.

McCallum was on the slide a bit after the Toney fights, no suprise that he wasn't being called out.

I cant think of many reasons for Toney and Eubank not meeting in the early 1990s though!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Hi Ironmike,

The question could be asked, how could all of those fighters miss Eubank? They would have all got a super payday out of him.

I suppose all had their reasons:

Nunn wanted to fight the winner of Eubank vs Benn 2 and it was a draw!!
          That was no reason for the fight not to happen. King agreed to get involved in the promotion of Benn-Eubank 2 on the condition that the winner and loser both sign with him after. They got a draw so Eubank walked, but Benn decided to sign on with Don.
          Jones peaked in 1995 whereas Eubank suffered the Collins losses.
          True, but Eubank also said in his autobigraphy that his only obligation was to defend his belt against his mandatories, not to unify with the over champs in the divison
          McCallum was on the slide a bit after the Toney fights, no suprise that he wasn't being called out.
          McCallum was still an elite fighter until the Jeff Harding fight
          I cant think of many reasons for Toney and Eubank not meeting in the early 1990s though!
          Toney was up for it and constantly called Eubank out. Eubank wasnt interested in the fight, that was made obvious from that Jonothan Ross interview with Benn, Eubank and Toney

Comment

I seem to remember that Ross interview, wasnt Toney on video conference?

I suppose for some champions, they are just happy to hold a belt, defend it and say that they are world champion.

I fear that this might be the case with David Haye. When he was a contender he was happy to call everyone out. But now that he has a belt, he is quite happy to accept the kudos of world champion without taking the mega risks.

Eubank was a clever chap, he wanted to make as much money as he could. He fought some damn good, dangerous opponents like Benn, Watson, Collins, Calzaghe or Thompson (way above his natural fighting weight). I dont think we can feel too hard done by.

Comment

I seem to remember that Ross interview, wasnt Toney on video conference?
              Yes it was. It was during the build up to Benn-Eubank II, called the best of enemies with Jonothan Ross. It shoukld be up on youtube
              I suppose for some champions, they are just happy to hold a belt, defend it and say that they are world champion.
              True, there are a number of fighters who share that pointt of view as well
              I fear that this might be the case with David Haye. When he was a contender he was happy to call everyone out. But now that he has a belt, he is quite happy to accept the kudos of world champion without taking the mega risks.
              David Haye is a strange one, he has done himself no favours in the way he has conducted himself ovrer the months
              Eubank was a clever chap, he wanted to make as much money as he could. He fought some damn good, dangerous opponents like Benn, Watson, Collins, Calzaghe or Thompson (way above his natural fighting weight). I dont think we can feel too hard done by.
              I rate him most for the Thompson fights, that took a lot of courage to step up to the cw class, Thompson was simply too big for him. I also had Eubank winning their first fight as well
              Last edited by Toney616; 07-23-2010, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Yea fight one was razor close. For me it was one of those fights where the rounds that Eubank won were far more impressive than the rounds Thompson shaded, but it still lead to a close points call.

Eubank was clearly the better technician of the two, some of his combination punching and timing was art, his ring generalship was terrific. Fight 2 was even more dominant for Eubank before that eye of his swelled.......again.

Great fighter, I'm a big fan....

Comment

Yea fight one was razor close. For me it was one of those fights where the rounds that Eubank won were far more impressive than the rounds Thompson shaded, but it still lead to a close points call.

Eubank was clearly the better technician of the two, some of his combination punching and timing was art, his ring generalship was terrific. Fight 2 was even more dominant for Eubank before that eye of his swelled.......again.

Great fighter, I'm a big fan....
                  Yeah, he was a great fighter, what do you think he did wrong during Collins ii?

Comment

Originally posted by coghaugen View Post
                    Decent 'argument'!
                    I watched all of his career and saw him live many times, good fighter who beat a lot of other good fighters. Loved to have seen him fight McCallum or Nunn though.

He also got a few lucky decisions in his career, most noteably in the first fight against Watson.

Watson beat him that night and battered him in the rematch, but you have to hand it to him in the way he literally finished watsons career with a desperation punch. Incredible power and granite chin and a great personality.

Comment

Working...
                    X