Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warriors vs Manly...who you got and why?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
    Rubbish.

For a competition to be able to do that it has to be incredibly strong. The only reason the major football leagues in Europe can operate under this model is the fanatical support and unbelievable popularity they enjoy.

How do you think the NRL would cope without a Finals Series? Terribly, that's how. Same goes for the AFL, A-League and all the rest.
    Then how do you account for pissant irrelevant countries like Latvia having that football system? It has nothing to do with "fanatical support" or "unbelievable popularity", which the AFL seems to enjoy regardless, the problem is ******ed management.

The system would work, of course there is greater financial benefit with the current system but as far as being a "just" system is concerned, it's not that.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSTAM View Post
      Then how do you account for pissant irrelevant countries like Latvia having that football system? It has nothing to do with "fanatical support" or "unbelievable popularity", which the AFL seems to enjoy regardless, the problem is ******ed management.

The system would work, of course there is greater financial benefit with the current system but as far as being a "just" system is concerned, it's not that.
      It is the culture in football. And also those minor leagues in Europe still have fanatical support, they just do not require the revenue that the bigger leagues do in order to meet their costs (i.e. player wages).

Clearly a 100% league-based system is the most just approach to determining the best team over the duration of a season. That shouldn't really even be open for debate. I just don't think the NRL would be able to survive without the revenue and interest that is generated by the Finals Series.

Comment

Look at it this way, if the finals system is eliminated and the league is extended by a few games (5,6 etc) for every club, that would mean a greater financial benefit for the teams who didn't manage to make the Top 8, so there's already a bonus for the majority of the clubs in the league. Also, that extra few games would match the revenue generated by the couple or so games the teams who made the Top 8 generate.

Also, not every finals game is a jam-packed sell-out either, I doubt they would lose revenue in that regard.

I think what needs to be done is doing more to promote rivalries, I'd love to see the equivalent of Madrid vs Barca, where there is just an ingrained hatred between two opposing teams. We have a couple intense rivalries but nothing that matches something like that.

Just a different perspective, it's never going to be implemented but whatever.

Comment

Does anyone know how much of the NRL's TV revenue is accounted for by the Finals Series? It would be interesting to know how much of the revenue they get from that as opposed to the regular season games.

Obviously this is all hypothetical. People love the Finals Series and the GF and there would be a riot if they tried to get rid of it and make it a 100% league-based system, regardless of whether or not that is a fairer system of determining the number one team.

What would also be interesting is that it would revolutionise the approach that teams would take to the season. There would be no "peaking for finals", every game would be crucial. This would actually improve the attractiveness of the games earlier in the season.

A major problem would obviously be that we have no European qualification or promotion/relegation, so that teams not near the top have pretty much nothing to play for. That would be a huge pitfall under this system.

Comment

go **** yourself
            Under that system, Melbourne (who were the most consistent team this year) would've won the premiership this year.

So don't go hating on me.

Comment

Originally posted by ??? View Post
              Under that system, Melbourne (who were the most consistent team this year) would've won the premiership this year.

So don't go hating on me.
              You know who ROSTAM is right?

Its his way mate.

Comment

stupid ****in bogan slut

get the **** outta my thread
                You should listen to what Jack said in you're sig,
                Go make another index of you're hero

Comment

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
                  Yeah mate I think Manly by a fair few. They are in a different class to the Warriors.

The Warriors should not be there. The system needs to be changed. You shouldn't be able to finish 6th, get pumped in the first week of the finals then only need to win two games to be in the GF. AFL's system is far superior.
                  After the Broncos flogging, they didn't deserve another chance. But, then to go on and beat two premiership favourites in a row, I'd have to say they deserve to be in the GF. If that makes any sense.

Comment

been warriors fan since 1995.. but I think Manly will dick us. unlike Melbourne, They can attack just like the warriors, and will also be fresh. think the last 2 weeks taken their toll on the boys so im not holding my breath.

hope they do win.. but if they dont.. MATAI FTW

Comment

Originally posted by G A M E View Post
                      been warriors fan since 1995.. but I think Manly will dick us. unlike Melbourne, They can attack just like the warriors, and will also be fresh. think the last 2 weeks taken their toll on the boys so im not holding my breath.

hope they do win.. but if they dont.. MATAI FTW
                      Manly just have so many weapons in that backline. Lyon, Matai, Hoppa, Stewart. Then you add in probably the best all-round halves combination in the competition and a very solid forward pack that has seen the beast that is Tony Williams starting on the bench most of the season. Its no wonder they are favourites going into the GF.

Comment

Working...
                      X