No announcement yet.

Does Boxing Really Need to be "Saved?"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Boxing Really Need to be "Saved?"

Yeah, boxing isn't as popular as it has been in the past but I don't really think it's on life support right now either. There are still a lot of great fights happening, a lot of great fighters, and people all over the world are watching boxing. You see arenas in Europe filled up and boxing's popularity is only behind soccer in Latin American countries. You have fighters like Manny Pacquiao and Koki Kameda who have captivated their respective countries.

The only thing wrong right now with boxing, at least in the US, is that it's not on free TV anymore. That would help bring in more fans. But the true fans have no problem paying a few bucks a month for HBO and/or Showtime and you can usually get a few people together to split a PPV.

When I look at boxing, I don't really see a sport that needs to be saved...

No it's fine there are a lot of new young boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by $iN View Post
      Yeah, boxing isn't as popular as it has been in the past but I don't really think it's on life support right now either. There are still a lot of great fights happening, a lot of great fighters, and people all over the world are watching boxing. You see arenas in Europe filled up and boxing's popularity is only behind soccer in Latin American countries. You have fighters like Manny Pacquiao and Koki Kameda who have captivated their respective countries.

The only thing wrong right now with boxing, at least in the US, is that it's not on free TV anymore. That would help bring in more fans. But the true fans have no problem paying a few bucks a month for HBO and/or Showtime and you can usually get a few people together to split a PPV.

When I look at boxing, I don't really see a sport that needs to be saved...

The lowest paid guy in the NFL makes a pretty good income. The lowest paid guy in boxing gets a Chinaman's wages. As a matter of fact lots of Chinamen make more money than most American boxers. Since only the rare few are going to make the million dollar paydays, it is going to get harder and harder to attrack good athletic talent to boxing. Without a doubt boxing needs to be saved!

Comment

No.....I truely believe that people who are'nt interested in boxing or what I get alot from people is "I used to watch boxing but it is'nt the same" anyway all of these people are really missing out on what has to be the greatest non team sport ever.......I mean most of these ****heads will watch American Idol or some silly ass reality show but can't enjoy a good boxing match???? WTF is wrong with people?

Anyway No it does'nt need saving it just needs less corruption and 1 main championship sanctioning body for each weight class and everything is just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by potatoes View Post
          The lowest paid guy in the NFL makes a pretty good income. The lowest paid guy in boxing gets a Chinaman's wages. As a matter of fact lots of Chinamen make more money than most American boxers. Since only the rare few are going to make the million dollar paydays, it is going to get harder and harder to attrack good athletic talent to boxing. Without a doubt boxing needs to be saved!
          Well, anyone can be a boxer. Not anyone can jump right into the NFL...

Comment

boxing needs a new posterboy.... replacements for holyfield and oscar.... theres nonody out there that can draw like them right now....

Comment

Holyfield?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Cartel View Post
                Holyfield?
                holyfield was a big draw, not anymore...

Comment

Thats what im saying m8 no more..
                  I thought u meant his still a big draw..

What was already discussed in a previous post,,
                  HBO or showtime or whoever the promoters etc..
                  All need to start giving nuff hype to fighters like Manny pacquaio
                  Juan Guzman etc..These can also become BIG household names..

You can can have a music album that could sell fcuking millions but without
                  the right promotion you wont sell 2 copies it goes hand in hand...

For most big fights coming up they should start a mini series like the De La Hoya/Mayweather one that would really help push ppv sales

Comment

If the big names are fighting like Oscar vs. Mayweather than I will watch boxing. If it's just an ESPN fight with unknown guys I will watch a round or two and then continue to flip channels.

If it's two big names like Liddell vs. Jackson than I am watching. If it is some IFL match with two unknowns fighting than I am watching cause I know there will either be a big knockout from a punch, knee, kick or a bone breaking submission.

Comment

Working...
                    X