No announcement yet.

Broner will re-ignite American interest in Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by #thirsty View Post
    He is right, outside of hardcore fans no one knows who Broner or Ward even are.
    Exactly. People on this site thinks their knowledge spreads to normal people.
    Nobody knows who Broner is, when Tyson was only 20, the world already was talking about him as the next Ali.
    Tyson was bigger than the entire NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Jel View Post
      Their not.
      They are the biggest boxing draws which equates to **** all.
      750 Million watched the World cup.
      Floyd and Manny sells 1-2 million PPV. A tiny **** portion.

Let me pull out some stats that I can prove.

Muhammad Ali vs Ernie Shavers was watched by 50% of America.
      Go look it up.
      50% of the ENTIRE country.
      This was a rapidly shot Ali too.

If Ali was in this era, he will be doing 10 million PPVS.
      God damn that's a lot of people.

Comment

He is right, outside of hardcore fans no one knows who Broner or Ward even are.
        Broner is alot more popular than you think. most of the time when i ask casuals about boxing they mention Broner. and how they want to see him fight Mayweather

but i see what you're saying. he's not on that level yet.

Comment

God damn that's a lot of people.
          Watch the documentary on Ali-Frazier 1.

That was a bigger event than any PRESIDENTIAL Election.

People are living in delusion if they think Heavyweights are not the life blood.

Every boxing writer says 'HW is the life blood of American boxing'

"When the HW division goes, so goes boxing'

I rather listen to the boxing writers than randoms on the Scene.

There have obviously been 'era's when the heavyweights did not dominate and boxing was still a premier sport.

Ala the Fab Four era. But it took FOUR of them and amazing marketing.
          So unless you can super charge Broner and clone him 3 more times.
          He's not gonna 'reignite' boxing in America any more than Floyd/Pac did.

Comment

Originally posted by Catch~Fade View Post
            Broner is alot more popular than you think. most of the time when i ask casuals about boxing they mention Broner. and how they want to see him fight Mayweather
            Yes but what he's saying is, if someone were to go to some random sports forum (that doesn't pertain to only boxing) and start a thread about "Adrien Broner" no one would even bother to reply to your thread because they don't know who that even is. But on that same exact forum you start a thread on Tyson or Ali, then you'll have their attention.

Comment

Yes but what he's saying is, if someone were to go to some random sports forum (that doesn't pertain to only boxing) and start a thread about "Adrien Broner" no one would even bother to reply to your thread because they don't know who that even is. But on that same exact forum you start a thread on Tyson or Ali, then you'll have their attention.
              As a further example of just how big the HW'S really are.

I can also start a thread on Roberto Duran and Sugar Ray Robinson and SOME of the casuals will know who they are because of their greatness, but 10x more casuals will know who Tyson or Ali was.

There is no way Tyson is >than Robinson, but to the public eye he's just more famous.

Another example

Riddick Bowe vs Pernell Whitakker.

Whitaker is much higher on any ATG List. But during the 90's Bowe was given world tours. World ****ing tours. Whitaker was getting robbed and fighting for a 10th of Bowe's money.

Comment

Broner?!? Really? For his piss poor trash talking and beating a slow as **** fighter whose already been beaten up worse twice? Good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jel View Post
                  There is no way Tyson is >than Robinson, but to the public eye he's just more famous.
                  I absolutely agree. I think the reason is that the casuals don't care much about weight classes in general. The question they will ask is:

"Who is the best boxer in the world, the one that will kill all others in the ring?"

And that, regardless of the era, will always be the heavyweight champ (I mean, just imagine Floyd or Ward vs. Wlad...). Had Tyson been f.i. a welterweight, he would never have been that popular, not even close to it, and certainly not internationally.

That being said, a boxer may of course be extremely popular on the domestic level. I remember Henry Maske being extremely popular in Germany because he was German - everybody, including casuals, were watching his fights. Had he been Italian for instance, Germans would not have given a damn. And it's the same thing with Floyd, Ward etc. in the US. If the Klitschkos were middleweights, they would not sell out stadiums accross Europe like they do. The same goes for Haye.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolor View Post
                    I absolutely agree. I think the reason is that the casuals don't care much about weight classes in general. The question they will ask is:

"Who is the best boxer in the world, the one that will kill all others in the ring?"

And that, regardless of the era, will always be the heavyweight champ (I mean, just imagine Floyd or Ward vs. Wlad...). Had Tyson been f.i. a welterweight, he would never have been that popular, not even close to it, and certainly not internationally.

That being said, a boxer may of course be extremely popular on the domestic level. I remember Henry Maske being extremely popular in Germany because he was German - everybody, including casuals, were watching his fights. Had he been Italian for instance, Germans would not have given a damn. And it's the same thing with Floyd, Ward etc. in the US. If the Klitschkos were middleweights, they would not sell out stadiums accross Europe like they do. The same goes for Haye.
                    Ya. The one time lower weights took over boxing was the 'fab four' era and that worked due to a variety of factors. The stars just aligned.

All four had surreal ATG Skills, all four FOUGHT EACH OTHER. All four had story lines.
                    Also they were actually normal sized human beings. With Hearns being a big dude. This is pretty important too.
                    I mean get the fuk out of here with Gary Russel Junior bullshyt, he's like 5'4 and a oompa loompa it's just weird.

The immense story building that went into promoting Hearns-Leonard-Hagler-Duran really is something we will not see again.

The Fab Four was just perfect.
                    Hit man with his Ko Power, Leonard with his pretty boy smile and Ali footwork, Duran and his killer mentality, and stone cold Hagler.
                    They made a perfect club.

The only way I see a Non-Heavyweight theme reigniting boxing in America is if there was like 4 Floyd Mayweathers with four different personalities and story lines and they all fought each other

Comment

Originally posted by Catch~Fade View Post
                      Ward will end up with Hopkins-like popularity. alot of casual fans know him and watched him against dawson, but actually pay to see him? i don't think so. he'll be watched and recognized as a great fighter but most likely not a PPV attraction.

Broner has the crossover superstar potential of Mayweather and DLH. and KO's along with his personality definitely helps.
                      I agree about Ward. Broner has the personality and the skill to become a big time star. He's got a different personality than Mayweather, he's a lot funnier. He tries to take his opponents out too, and that will be big with people paying for his fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X