Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Would Bernard Hopkins Do Against ATGs In Their Primes? (No Haters/Huggers Please)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Would Bernard Hopkins Do Against ATGs In Their Primes? (No Haters/Huggers Please)

In Prime Bernard Hopkins Versus In Prime:

Ray Robinson
    Bob Fitzsimmons
    Marvin Hagler
    Stanley Ketchel
    Charley Burley
    Harry Greb
    Jake LaMotta
    Carlos Monzon
    Tony Zale
    Panama Joe Gans
    Marcel Cerdan
    Les Darcy
    Holman Williams
    Mickey Walker
    James Toney
    Mike McCallum

Your thoughts Gentlemen?

Poet

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post

Ray Robinson
    Bob Fitzsimmons
    Marvin Hagler
    Stanley Ketchel
    Charley Burley
    Harry Greb
    Jake LaMotta
    Carlos Monzon
    Tony Zale
    Panama Joe Gans
    Marcel Cerdan
    Les Darcy
    Holman Williams
    Mickey Walker
    James Toney
    Mike McCallum

Your thoughts Gentlemen?

Poet
    To be honest Poet. I find it hard to do fantasy fights between fighters that were so many years apart.

As alot of things were different in say Fitszimmons era to Hopkins's era. So I find it hard to invision what the fight would look like and play out like, as they fought in totally different era's of boxing and rules.

Comment

Originally posted by .SOUTHPAW16BF. View Post
      To be honest Poet. I find it hard to do fantasy fights between fighters that were so many years apart.

As alot of things were different in say Fitszimmons era to Hopkins's era. So I find it hard to invision what the fight would look like and play out like, as they fought in totally different era's of boxing and rules.
      Not a problem If you think a fighter is too far out of era to make a comparison just pass on the matchup.

My conception with these is to take an active fighter that gets a lot of print on Boxing Scene and get the good posters here (ie. not haters or huggers) to put their thoughts in on how they stack up. It's just seems to me that it's been getting a bit dry around here for Boxing History's heavy hitters what with the all the trolls and people with agendas taking over every thread.

Poet

Comment

Not a problem If you think a fighter is too far out of era to make a comparison just pass on the matchup.

My conception with these is to take an active fighter that gets a lot of print on Boxing Scene and get the good posters here (ie. not haters or huggers) to put their thoughts in on how they stack up. It's just seems to me that it's been getting a bit dry around here for Boxing History's heavy hitters what with the all the trolls and people with agendas taking over every thread.

Poet
        Yeah, I agree threads like these make the History section a much better place. One match up that I really like here is Hopkins vs McCallum.

Two of the soundest techincal fighters of all time. I edge towards Hopkins taking a decision, but I imagine it's a close affair, with both men having success.......

Comment

Originally posted by .SOUTHPAW16BF. View Post
          Yeah, I agree threads like these make the History section a much better place. One match up that I really like here is Hopkins vs McCallum.

Two of the soundest techincal fighters of all time. I edge towards Hopkins taking a decision, but I imagine it's a close affair, with both men having success.......
          It's amazing the sort of thoughtful discussions these threads get: I simply block the known trolls from posting in them and abracadabra the discussions generate light instead of heat

Hopkins Vs. McCallum is VERY intriguing: A few years shift in age on the part of one or the other and it could very well have actually occured. Can you imagine the display of skills?

Poet

Comment

He beats them all easily, no-one can touch a prime BHOP on his best day.

some of them would do well, but he's just better than all of those guys.

Comment

He beats everyone on points apart from

Carlos Monzon
              Harry Greb
              Ray Robinson
              Marvin Hagler
              Roy Jones
              Charley Burley

who I believe would all outpoint him..

50/50 matches (to be decided on points)

LaMotta
              Zale
              Fullmer
              Darcy
              Walker
              Fitzsimmons

Only fight that may not go the distance would be against Ketchell, but Stanley would be lucky to catch Hopkins flush, so i'll go for Hopkins UD..
              Last edited by mickey malone; 01-12-2010, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SirAuron View Post
                He beats them all easily, no-one can touch a prime BHOP on his best day.

some of them would do well, but he's just better than all of those guys.
                No Hugging Sir

Poet

Comment

It's amazing the sort of thoughtful discussions these threads get: I simply block the known trolls from posting in them and abracadabra the discussions generate light instead of heat

Hopkins Vs. McCallum is VERY intriguing: A few years shift in age on the part of one or the other and it could very well have actually occured. Can you imagine the display of skills?

Poet
                  Yep agreed there mate. I just like coming on and having a serious and enjoyable discussion about the history of boxing, discussing and debating the past ATG's.

And enjoy reading posts from the intellegent posters on here.

Comment

Ray Robinson
                    Bob Fitzsimmons
                    Marvin Hagler
                    Stanley Ketchel
                    Charley Burley
                    Harry Greb
                    Jake LaMotta
                    Carlos Monzon
                    Tony Zale
                    Panama Joe Gans
                    Marcel Cerdan
                    Les Darcy
                    Holman Williams
                    Mickey Walker
                    James Toney
                    Mike McCallum

Your thoughts Gentlemen?

Poet
                    On his best day, I can see Bernard beating every single one of those guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X