No announcement yet.

The Unpopular Opinion thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I love Jake Lamotta but I just can't see an argument for him being a Top 5 Middleweight, personally.

Monzon
    Greb
    Robinson
    Hagler
    Fitzsimmons

I just can't see any way he can be ranked above any of those fighters at MW, personally.
    Hence why it's an unpopular opinion

Comment

• Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
      Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
      your not alone.
      Thanks, at least I know I'm not all crazy. However, I'm very aware that's it's a very unpopular opinion. As you can see by the reaction of such opinion.

And, I already gave my unpopular reasoning as to why I rank Lamotta so highly. And, even if this might be irrelevant. But, I also think it gets held against Lamotta that he didn't really have a long successful title reign due to SRR but also due that IMO he won the title at the tail end of his career.. And, no fault of his own. He had to throw a fight just to get a shot at the title.

And, this holds true for many great fighters back in the day. But, I think mainly Lamotta would have benefited more so with having day before weigh-in and/or SMW division. But, that's neither here nor there.

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
      I don't think Ketchel, Walker or Hopkins are greater.
      Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
      I think Steele would beat him too, I just think he's an underrated fighter - mostly in terms of resume, that's just me though I don't have a solid list middleweight ranking of my own.
      I agree. But, I think some confuse on who would win H2H match up as being greater. That has nothing to do with it. I personally go by resume and accomplishment.

Now if you want to say that B-hop is a better fighter and would out class Lamotta. Then fine I won't argue that. But, his resume is not better than Lamotta. So I can't rank him ahead of Lamotta all time at MW due to the resume.

Anyways, I know it's unpopular but I personally have him at #5 at MW. But, I won't debate or argue if someone would rank the likes of Fitzsimmons or even Ketchel ahead of Lamotta.

I honestly think that MW is such a deep and talented division. That after fab 4(Greb, SRR, Monzon, and Hagler) anywhere from 5-15 could be splitting hairs and just be a matter of preference. This might also be a very unpopular opinion
      Last edited by jrosales13; 07-18-2011, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• Holyfield at his best beats any version of Iron Mike.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heeb View Post
          Holyfield at his best beats any version of Iron Mike.
          I've always thought this as well, Holy had his number.

Comment

• Jack Dempsey is overrated

Jimmy Young would have a good chance to decision Larry Holmes

Comment

• Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
              Jack Dempsey is overrated

Couldn't resist sorry,

Comment

What year would that have happened? I'm hoping it wasn't past 1980.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heeb View Post
                  Holyfield at his best beats any version of Iron Mike.
                  Sadly this is a unpopular opinion. Anyone who knows the sport can see that holyfield was simply a better fighter in every way possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnburner View Post

Couldn't resist sorry,
                    pretty lame. And you also got that from ESB. just proving my point further

Comment

pretty lame. And you also got that from ESB. just proving my point further
                      So in summary I get lame stuff from ESB, disproving your point?

Comment

Working...
                      X