Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Roberto Duran Fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leonard fight easily, I enjoyed the Hagler fight too.

Comment

Originally posted by Doritos View Post
      Leonard fight easily, I enjoyed the Hagler fight too.
      Larry Holmes said he thought Duran beat Hagler. It was close and I think it showed that Duran was the better overall fighter.

Comment

Duran/Leonard II is the single fight with the most rare information content. That is my favorite Duran fight. He had already shown me what he could do, now he kindly showed me what he could not do. I liked the Barkley fight, as well, because it was visual David & Goliath.

Comment

You have to like the Hearns fight for its information content, too. We all knew knew Duran could take a mighty shot, but we did not really know the limits of that.

Duran gave all the information a fighter can give in a career. This is the thing I respect most in a fighter and the main reason I have low respect for Mayweather. Duran released all information to his fans and to history. We have a complete career against an incredible variety of opposition in which to gauge him against other eras. It doesn't get better than that. We know his chin, we know his fists, we know his education, and we also know his limits. Duran's claim on greatness is stamped with the seal of Moutain Climber. No one is conquering heights today like Duran. MW and his generation are weekend hikers in the foothills.

Duran was not the favorite against Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Barkley and a host of other larger fighters. When has MW been daring enough to fight as an underdog?
          Last edited by The Old LefHook; 08-21-2015, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            Duran/Leonard II is the single fight with the most rare information content. That is my favorite Duran fight. He had already shown me what he could do, now he kindly showed me what he could not do. I liked the Barkley fight, as well, because it was visual David & Goliath.
            That was no assessment of what he could not do. He won the first fight when the clowning was not happening and the second fight was close before he quit. he quit because the fight was a farce and an insult to the sport. He's not going to admit it now since the old days are gone and no one would care or believe him anyway, but to say that is a measure of what he could not do is satire at best. He beat Leonard in his prime at his natural weight while out of his natural weight. In the third fight, granted, nothing happened. Leonard ran and Duran had no legs left. But he took the fight because big money was offered. Who wouldn't? Duran clearly won the first fight which turned out to be the only one that mattered. A fan at ringside for the rematch said that people started leaving once Leonard started that crap. They knew it was a circus. Sad day for boxing, but Duran's first win solidified his greatness and the rematch was pointless. Seriously watch it again. It was very close before being stopped. Why would he quit? It definitely had nothing to do with Leonard dominating him.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
              That was no assessment of what he could not do. He won the first fight when the clowning was not happening and the second fight was close before he quit. he quit because the fight was a farce and an insult to the sport. He's not going to admit it now since the old days are gone and no one would care or believe him anyway, but to say that is a measure of what he could not do is satire at best. He beat Leonard in his prime at his natural weight while out of his natural weight. In the third fight, granted, nothing happened. Leonard ran and Duran had no legs left. But he took the fight because big money was offered. Who wouldn't? Duran clearly won the first fight which turned out to be the only one that mattered. A fan at ringside for the rematch said that people started leaving once Leonard started that crap. They knew it was a circus. Sad day for boxing, but Duran's first win solidified his greatness and the rematch was pointless. Seriously watch it again. It was very close before being stopped. Why would he quit? It definitely had nothing to do with Leonard dominating him.
              Yeah of course, the only fight that mattered was the one that Duran won. Fan Boy much? I can only stomach so much propaganda.

Comment

Yea, Im a bigger fan of Duran than Leonard, but I don't consider Leonard clowning around in the second fight. Duran couldn't catch him and Leonard was landing far more effective punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing56 View Post
                  Yea, Im a bigger fan of Duran than Leonard, but I don't consider Leonard clowning around in the second fight. Duran couldn't catch him and Leonard was landing far more effective punches.
                  So the guy who never quit any other fight in his life in over 100 fights, throws in the towel due to frustration? Not buying that for a second. Something was up with that fight. The clowning or his stomach troubles. it was not Leonard's performance.

Comment

When he beat up Ray Leonard in Montreal.

Comment

DeJesus 3.

Comment

Working...
                      X