Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would whitaker struggle with Hatton?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whitaker is one of the best infighters of all time, quite a lot better than Floyd, he would absolutely destroy Hatton if it was fought on the inside.

Comment

I'd imagine Whitaker would blow out Hatton. Hatton would have major problems finding Whitaker and Sweet Pea was just as adept at roughhouse tactics as Hatton was.

But given Sweet Pea's complete lack of luck when dealing with judges it wouldn't shock me if Hatton was gifted a split decision if it was fought in Britain.

Comment

1.I think Julio Cesar Chavez is a lot better than Hatton.

2.Whitaker could get the knockout because Hatton was never any good at 147. He got a gift decision against Collazo before Mayweather decided to fight him.

3. Hatton never did very well against southpaws(see Collazo above)

Comment

Originally posted by DeepSleep View Post
          But given Sweet Pea's complete lack of luck when dealing with judges it wouldn't shock me if Hatton was gifted a split decision if it was fought in Britain.

Comment

That fight would be so one sided - Not only did whitaker like come forward fighters but Hatton found difficulty against every slick southpaw hes ever faced and pernell is the slickest out of the bunch!

Comment

One sided win for Whitaker obviously but being kind to Hatton I think the version of Ricky that fought tszyu would make the fight entertaining, last the distance and avoid a COMPLETE shut out.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Ricky didn't have a great chin but he definitely had a good one and could take a good shot.

After the Tszyu fight he definitely seemed a little less resistant but still top tier. The Mayweather fight definitely took something out of him IMO. Both physically and mentally.
                Comparing Hatton in the lead-up to the Tszyu fight and post Tszyu is like looking at two different fighters. Clearly most people have only watched the latter given the repeated mentioning of "brawling", "smothering" and "wrestling". The Ricky I remember most was a quick-footed and more importantly - quick-witted buzzsaw fighter who certainly didn't "take one to give one" and left the in-the-ring wrestling to his Canadian WWF namesake.

THAT Ricky Hatton was a ruthless, murderous bodypuncher who gave himself plenty of space, shifted beautifully off either foot, shortened up the arcs on both left and right and bludgeoned the ribcage like Rocky unloading on a cow carcass.

At his best I can't think of a better British bodypuncher in the last twenty-or-so years. I loved to watch him.

Then, for one reason or another, it all went out of the window. Tragic really because that style of fighting no opponent rushes to make a fight with.

Of course, Whittaker was a class act. Undoubtedly the better fighter in terms of talent. But that version of Ricky would be no pushover. And let's not forget that Whittaker was prone to switching off occasionally.

I met Ricky last year, seemed abit funny to be honest. He wasn't rude by any means but he seemed a little, I don't know, condesending which surprised me a little.
                Sadly, it comes as no surprise to me. Whilst Ricky is worshipped by an army of fans his attitude and behavior outside the ring leave many wondering how he acquired it in the first place. I've met him a couple of times. On both occasions he was rude, embarrassing and struggled to fit his head through doorways.

Comment

Whitaker had a higher work rate and an underrated body attack, I think Hatton gets embarrassed.

Comment

I think Whitaker wins it but I think it would take him a few rounds to control and then set the tempo of the fight. Whitaker I think would have to go to the body, infight and throw more combinations than previous fights. Hatton wasn't a dumb swarmer he was very good at what he did and you don't see many fighters that could close someone down as quick as he could

Comment

Originally posted by katjack View Post
                      1.I think Julio Cesar Chavez is a lot better than Hatton.

2.Whitaker could get the knockout because Hatton was never any good at 147. He got a gift decision against Collazo before Mayweather decided to fight him.

3. Hatton never did very well against southpaws(see Collazo above)
                      Hatton got knocked out BY PACQUAIO SO NO FREAKING WAY he hangs with whitaker. But if the fight is in britain he might get robbed like in the Chavez/DELAHOYA fight. Whitaker would run hatton into all kind of shots.

Whitaker to me is the greatest fighter to ever lace them up. Better than Chavez, Duran, Leonard, Floyd, ALI, Robinson. There was never a guy whom he was afraid to fight

Comment

Working...
                      X