Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 11-29-2018, 10:58 PM #301
Interim Champion

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
johnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to behold
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 14,241.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
No. Ali was not stopping Frazier in round two of their second bout.

It was not expected that Ali would best Frazier in75. Odds going into the fight were close. But what’s important is what actually occurred. A No 1 contender and former champion took Ali to the brink yet he came back to win. This bout convinced the knowledgeable historians that Ali deserved ATG ranking.
I disagree. Frazier was quite hurt and there was a minute to go and Ali was a great finisher and Frazier was known--see vs Bonavena--that he often took 2 rounds to get "smokin". I am sure there would have been at least a KD.

I also recall something little cited nowadays.

Ali was pissed and thought it was deliberate--Perez's halting as no one else heard a "phantom bell."©

Ali sued Perez claiming it was deliberate. The judge tossed the suit with reasoning that it was impossible to prove that it wasn't a mistake without malice aforethought. From what I know now I wonder if an appeal might have found that that's a question for a jury to decide. But Ali did not appeal.

No, I don't have a link, but followed the matter in the papers.
johnbook is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-30-2018, 12:51 AM #302
Interim Champion

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
johnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to beholdjohnbook is a splendid one to behold
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 14,241.22

Quote:
No. Ali was not stopping Frazier in round two of their second bout.

It was not expected that Ali would best Frazier in75. Odds going into the fight were close. But what’s important is what actually occurred. A No 1 contender and former champion took Ali to the brink yet he came back to win. This bout convinced the knowledgeable historians that Ali deserved ATG ranking.
[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
Odds in fact were 8:5 for Ali. [I don't necessarily agree with some things in that article. I saw it live on cc theatre. It was awesome give and take.]
Ali was the favorite and was not expected to have a tough time at that PIT.

Yes it was his greatest from the brink victory.
johnbook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:00 AM #303
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 14535 Post(s)
Zaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,025.25
Total Points: 35,732.53
Been reading your posts.  Theyre not even in English.  U must have dropped out of school.  U sound very illiterate.  And I flagged ALL your racist stuff u will be banned - HAMMER77777 Keep it up man.  This is too EZ.  They ley a lot of shit go in here, but racism isn't 1 of them.  I'm flagging everyone of your comments.  If mega doesnt ban u, Boston will.  Racism is not allowed on here.  So keep writing, I'll keep flagging then I' - HAMMER77777 Thought so.  Quiet now, huh?  Move along, I am done with you. - HAMMER77777 No hard feelings man.  If you're ever near North Dakota, u are welcome to have SOme Beer with my wife and I.  Take care, enjoy your visit to India.  You will see more of it than I ever have. - HAMMER77777 Dude, seriously.  If u can click on VBUCKS menu, u can delete that rude shit I sent u.  I apologize.  You're OK, I'm sorry I insulted you.  I really am. - HAMMER77777 
dey hatın, we makin! - Floyd's Mask Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy New Year, Christmas, and all the best to you this holiday season Zaroku! - Redd Foxx Thnx for the green ;) - Boxing Goat Keep up the great posts, brother. - anthonydavid11 
Welcome Back, Signor Mata. - P.K Dionysus Rock on! - HeadBodyBodyBody Good poster with a unique style. - 1bad65 Great post, my dude... - Tony Trick-Pony A medal for Jhonny.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Zaroku The Legend! - travestyny For getting SafeSpace banned - 1bad65 No Message - Tony Trick-Pony Hey bro keep fighting the good fight. - BLASTER1 Cheers! - GhostofDempsey 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1964 View Post
they both were beasts back in da day. who do you think was better?
Excellent question my brother... Iíd hate to see either of them warriors lose... I weak like that...

When Sanchez beat Gomez... I was sad the fought... I love the sport..

Somebody always has to lose...

I love seeing two guys throw down, and becomes friends after..

Gatti & Ward... tow men... I cried when Gatti got murdered... Iím an old cry baby.
Zaroku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:12 AM #304
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 847 Post(s)
HOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 9,033.64

The myth of Manilia article is trash. Written by a writer seeking attention. Lots of mistakes in addition. Ali was very close to losing that bout but surged out of nowhere to overwhelm Joe. Another bout I watched live. Tremendously exciting bout. REAL boxing.
HOUDINI563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:34 PM #305
Banned

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Zmerai Khan is infamous around these partsZmerai Khan is infamous around these partsZmerai Khan is infamous around these partsZmerai Khan is infamous around these partsZmerai Khan is infamous around these partsZmerai Khan is infamous around these partsZmerai Khan is infamous around these partsZmerai Khan is infamous around these partsZmerai Khan is infamous around these partsZmerai Khan is infamous around these partsZmerai Khan is infamous around these parts
Bank: 1,020.15
Total Points: 10,189.60

Quote:
Ghost.... you donít know what you are talking about.

Ali was not rated as an ATG by most in 1972. Why? His career was yet over. KNOWLEDGEABLE historians are PATIENT and DO NOT jump to conclusion until all boxes are checked. In 1974 Ali reworn the hwt championship by koing a fighter thought to be unbeatable. Ali however had yet to prove himself in a life or death struggle with a top opponent. That occurred in 1975 when he stopped Frazier in a fightmost would have lost. THIS cemented Ali as a premier top ATG hwt champion as he exhibited those characteristics EXPECTED of ATG fighters. Ali by mid 1970ís was then considered universally at least a top ten ATG hwt champion. His stock has only risen since.
I'm pretty sure we all know someone who glorifies the pre-exile Ali as superior to the post exile version. His opposition was weaker but he put on more dynamic and lop-sided performances.

I'm not in that camp. Pretty much no knowledgeable fan is in that camp. But we can agree we were watching the makings of the best Heavyweight ever.

I don't believe Fleischer failed to see that. But I do believe he had several reasons to be in denial.
Zmerai Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:50 PM #306
Undisputed Champion

HOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond repute

Again start knowing your history. Ali was not rated by most in the top ten all time in 1972. Reasons are as given. Ring was the only source who maintained Ali AS CHAMPION when everyone else had stripped him. This was specifically Fleischer decision to do so until Ali officially retired in 1970. Learn boxing history.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:32 PM #307
Undisputed Champion

Ali Frazier 3 odds were 6-5 Ali not 8-5. Ring record book from 75, 76 and 77 which I have in my possession list all the odds of hwt championship bouts.

Share This With Friends

User Tag List