Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fu#k it. I’m gonna quit my job job and become a roofer. Any tips?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    how many hours are they working? and are you paying cash? that's a lot of money to be shelling out each day for entry level labor. how much has technology limited your need for labor over the last 5-10 years? i remember when my friends roofed in high school and home for break in college they would have to lug bundles up ladders, now they have technology for that.
    No you still have to carry the shingles up the ladder, it's too expensive to rent a lift for a one day job, roofing technology hasn't changed much for basic residential roofs.

Roof jobs are a pretty fixed cost, and getting the job done quick is the best way to do them, so you have to pay decent money for decent labor.

Comment

Don't ...................

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
        I'm not black but agree 100% with everything you said. Your right whites weren't paying blacks well back in the day, especially in certain states or towns, but now there is a major lack of trade workers, so it doesn't matter who you are, if your skilled you'll get work and get paid.

5-10 years from now the demand for trade workers will be out of this world. Young people haven't been learning these skills for the last 10 years or so. So tell your young friends start learning this stuff now, join unions, take on labor jobs whete they can learn on the job.

And you really don't need to be young to learn this stuff tbh. To be a master at a trade it takes years but to learn the basics enough to do basic work, it doesn't take a long time to learn any of the trades.

**** that corporate life, man wasn't built to sit around a desk and do pointless crap all day while listening to the bs of 3-4 different bosses. When I was in school they made corporate life sound so great,and made trades sound like peon work, it was the complete opposite imo.
        That exactly how I feel right now. I have a friend who’s an electrician. He’s a college dropout. He’s been at it for maybe 5 years now. I think he’s making around $25 an hour now and he’s nowhere near maxed out. He says that in time, he’ll be pulling in 6 figures.

I have a 4 year degree and I’m barely pulling in $40K a year and at the company I’m at now, it’s not going to get much better than that. I’d need to move up into a management position and I don’t think I want that. I’ve never been a fan of the office environment to be honest, but you’re right. That type of lifestyle was shoved down our throats growing up. I don’t like that type of working environment. Sitting in front of a computer all day, taking phone calls, filling out 3 or 4 different reports everyday, it seems so meaningless to me. It doesn’t feel like what I’m doing even matters in the long run.

There’s at least 6 or 7 different things or tasks I need to remember and keep track of on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis that if I slip up on, I get sh#t on.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
          That exactly how I feel right now. I have a friend who’s an electrician. He’s a college dropout. He’s been at it for maybe 5 years now. I think he’s making around $25 an hour now and he’s nowhere near maxed out. He says that in time, he’ll be pulling in 6 figures.

I have a 4 year degree and I’m barely pulling in $40K a year and at the company I’m at now, it’s not going to get much better than that. I’d need to move up into a management position and I don’t think I want that. I’ve never been a fan of the office environment to be honest, but you’re right. That type of lifestyle was shoved down our throats growing up. I don’t like that type of working environment. Sitting in front of a computer all day, taking phone calls, filling out 3 or 4 different reports everyday, it seems so meaningless to me. It doesn’t feel like what I’m doing even matters in the long run.

There’s at least 6 or 7 different things or tasks I need to remember and keep track of on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis that if I slip up on, I get sh#t on.
          The corporate grind is degrading to the human spirit. Man didn't evolve to live like that, that's why everyone who works behind a desk is miserable.

That's why they tell people who are creative or different, or really hyper that they have all sorts of disorders like ADD, anxiety, etc. It's so they can feed you pills to get you back in your fkin chair and productive for the corporatations.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
            The corporate grind is degrading to the human spirit. Man didn't evolve to live like that, that's why everyone who works behind a desk is miserable.

That's why they tell people who are creative or different, or really hyper that they have all sorts of disorders like ADD, anxiety, etc. It's so they can feed you pills to get you back in your fkin chair and productive for the corporatations.
            Big pharma is such a huge industry. They push coffee on you too. Coffee = productivity. I tell people all the time I’m retiring. I’m 27 years old. They just laugh at my pain.

Comment

I don't know what state you live in mate, but in Texas construction pays pretty well. If you really put in your work and learn everything you can, you could easily branch off and start your own small business.

Comment

Corporate is for poosies with no balls and ambition. There are high school classmates who my mom often used to compare me to. Some went to Yale, berkley, and couple went to Harvard.

Fast forward 15 years and literally none of those nerds are more successful than me. Im so proud of that.

Im in the business of Hardwood floor wholesale and construction. I do alot of commercial projects, certain residentials, and started doing government jobs. In this business, im totally legit.

Learning a trade is the way to go.

Comment

Trust me. If you worked where I work, you would understand. I’m young, but I’ve worked several jobs now. I’ve never seen such low morale in a work place. It’s unbelievable. We have a new supervisor who sucks. Doesn’t do anything. I told one of the women at work that she’s working with him tomorrow for a few hours. She literally started crying because she knew she would have no support from him. Crying.
                  ive worked places like that before. Genuinely depressing.

Definitely look to get out if you hate it, you spend too much of your life at work to not get any satisfaction from it! Try roofing out if thats the bug youve got, youll meet plenty of people in construction with different trades and if you hate roofing then you can look to switch it up.

Myself I left Uni with a degree in History and English with a view to get into Copywriting. Started doing some work and realised pretty quick it wasnt gonna be for me. Moved cities to be with my missus and basically ended up doing a string off ****ty labouring and agency jobs which I hated. I ended up lucking out getting a basic seasonal lab job in a sugar factory, did well, now im in the control room working as a process technician on a good and stable wage and good career prospects.

Life takes you some funny directions, but you gotta dig yourself out sometimes if it chucks you in the ditch, so definitely get out of that **** job while you still can. Im sure where you are you see people who never got out and are now depressed and de motivated as a result. Theyll never get out. I met them all the time doing agency jobs and decided I couldnt be that guy. Stay positive and dont stop looking for a job that suits.

My mate is retraining as an electrician at 42 and loving it after working in the hospitality business for decades and hating it.
                  Last edited by Tom Cruise; 12-07-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X