Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ending to Old Boy is the definition of mind ****ed. Battle Royale ****s all over Hunger Games too.

Comment

• Master and Commander the Far Side of the World - 9/10

What a gem of a movie.

Felt what it meant to be a sailor after watching this, the attention to detail was superb.

Comment

• Finally watched Django.

I was a little disappointed. Everyone was raving about it, and maybe my expectations were too high.

But heres what i thought; Tarentino has become slightly predictable in his paying homage to 70's exploitation films, his cool music set pieces and scenes which feature a tense, nail biting stand off. And of course OTT violence.

The brutal depictions of the treatment of slaves was great, but then followed moments of comic relief which i didnt think worked. The action sequences werent choreographed very well imo, (compared to the great Kill Bill fight scenes), the revenge story was kinda predictable, and for the first time his love of exploitation cinema felt too plagiarized.

But DeCaprio, Jackson and Waltz were awesome, and overall it was good, but not great.
        Need to watch again. I only loved Inglorious Bastards after a rewatch.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
          Finally watched Django.

I was a little disappointed. Everyone was raving about it, and maybe my expectations were too high.

But heres what i thought; Tarentino has become slightly predictable in his paying homage to 70's exploitation films, his cool music set pieces and scenes which feature a tense, nail biting stand off. And of course OTT violence.

The brutal depictions of the treatment of slaves was great, but then followed moments of comic relief which i didnt think worked. The action sequences werent choreographed very well imo, (compared to the great Kill Bill fight scenes), the revenge story was kinda predictable, and for the first time his love of exploitation cinema felt too plagiarized.

But DeCaprio, Jackson and Waltz were awesome, and overall it was good, but not great.
          Need to watch again. I only loved Inglorious Bastards after a rewatch.
          Watched the movie twice, and walked away with the same impression. Leo, Jackson, and Walts were brilliant in the movie, but the overall movie dragged on, and didn't really leave a lasting impression.

Comment

• Saw Raid:Redemption on STARZ Edge today.

Not much of a storyline but it's a great little action movie. The silat knife and stick fighting looks very good on screen. 8/10

Comment

• sound city & the hobbit...thought sound city was a really cool documentary. i didn't know that rick springfield was that big of an artist back in the early eighties. i enjoyed the story of the mixing board & the history of the studio. 3 times it almost went bankrupt. in the 70s, 80s & the 90s. fleetwood mac, rick springfield & nirvana kept the doors open. nirvana took 16 days to record "nevermind". that mixing board is what made grohl who he is today. the hobbit was ok but i like the lord of the rings better.

Comment

• 8/10

Comment

• finding neverland

a semi biography of playwright JM barrie and how peter pan germinated in his mind...

the plot is on the thin side and marc foster instead focuses on character development and some witty visuals to deliver a very admirable film from start to finish... johnny depp straddles from playing quirky odd characters to serious ones with ease and it is never been more evident the way he acted in this film... i found myself cheering for him and wishing him to succeed... that man is a great actor indeed... the interplay of fantasy and real world that happens in his mind is handled adroitly by forster who never lets himself swept away by the momentum he triggers in the first place... the result is a very coherent show that never loses its focus by becoming melodramatic and campy...

i should also commend kate winslet for giving a very touching performance who was able to dance with johnny depp in the acting sandbox...

well personally, i have noticed that JM barrie and JD salinger (another literary genius) had this fear of little children growing up... well, thanks to this fear these giants came up with these great works for us to enjoy...

thanks to my man terrel for recommending this film... great stuff my friend... better late than never for the review i promised...
                  Last edited by talip bin osman; 04-01-2013, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                    Sp1ke Lee is making a remake of Oldboy this October. I haven't liked a Sp1ke Lee film since Inside Man and he hasn't had a really really good film since Malcolm X, but he's got Josh Brolin and Samuel L. Jackson for his version of Oldboy. Could be good.
                    I've seen Old Boy & loved it. I'm probably one of the few that's looking forward to this remake. The cast is solid so I'm hoping it can live up to the original.

Comment

• Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
                      I started getting in to some asian foreign films lately I've watched The Raid: Redemption, Oldboy and Nameless Gangster

All good movies

I'd give The Raid and Oldboy 9/10 and Nameless Gangster 8/10 possibly 9 all worth watching
                      Here's a few you should check out:

This & the sequel

Comment

Working...
                      X