Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is it that you love about boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it that you love about boxing?

A patriotic thing i.e. you have a fighter who brings credit to your country?
    A racial thing. You believe fighters bring credit to your race?
    Is it a particular boxer?
    You just enjoy two men beating the daylights out of each other?
    You believe it is the purest form of sport?
    You enjoy the history of boxing?
    The unexpected?
    Or any reason or reasons you care to name?

I’m just curious as I read many posts on here by many posters and think that a lot of people have a lot of different reasons for following boxing.

I enjoy boxing for the same reason i enjoy MMA and the same reason I wrestled in highschool instead of other sports: no excuses. Its you vs your opponent and if you lose you basically have no one to blame but yourself. I like knowing that, if i lose, i dont have anyone else to blame but myself. I guess i like boxing also because it is pure sport. Minimal rules, and(for the most part) all grueling action.

Comment

Well, the original reason why I started watching boxing is of a boxer which comes from my country. His name is Luan Krasniqi and he has beaten Wladimir Klitschko once, during an amateur match. The expetations was high for him, but he could become just an european champion, nothing more... Well,I gues that watching him and some Rocky movies (xD) brought to me the love for this sport.

Comment

Obviously there have been few decent boxers to ever come out of Finland so nationalism isn't a part of why I am a fan of the sport. I'm a fan of most combat sports but boxing has the most intriguing history, characters and action that's unmatched in any sport really.

No one is going to go back and watch a soccer match from the early 1900's or even the late 1800's as can be done with boxing.
        Last edited by TheGreatA; 01-10-2010, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
          Obviously there have been few decent boxers to ever come out of Finland so nationalism isn't a part of why I am a fan of the sport. I'm a fan of most combat sports but boxing has the most intriguing history, characters and action that's unmatched in any sport really.

No one is going to go back and watch a soccer match from the early 1900's or even the late 1800's as can be done with boxing
          Totally agreed..........

BTW are you a football fan and are Finalnd in the world cup this year?

Comment

Originally posted by .SOUTHPAW16BF. View Post
            Totally agreed..........

BTW are you a football fan and are Finalnd in the world cup this year?
            I used to play football but I'm not a big fan of it. Finland's football team won't be in the world cup, they ended up third in the qualification group below Russia & Germany.

Comment

I like boxing because it's a one on one competition. Also, like TheGreatA said, there's a rich history behind it.

Comment

One word "drama." Its like watching a film testing the will and development of characters. We see courage, character, and skill. There is also the mental aspect of it as well. Muhammad Ali was like the thinking man fighter. Boxing has had great drama as in Douglas vs Tyson. A fighter loses his mom and shortly beats the odds like David vs Goliath to become HW champion. Boxing has many great stories, drama, and suspense.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                  The unexpected?
                  Bingo! Plus, the skills and fight strategy being displayed; not to mention fighters digging deep and gutting out wins. The subtleties involved too.

Poet

Comment

[QUOTE=GJC;7229138]A patriotic thing i.e. you have a fighter who brings credit to your country?
                    A racial thing. You believe fighters bring credit to your race?
                    Is it a particular boxer?
                    You just enjoy two men beating the daylights out of each other?
                    The unexpected?
                    Or any reason or reasons you care to name?

I’m just curious as I read many posts on here by many posters and think that a lot of people have a lot of different reasons for following boxing.[/QUOTE

My father introduced me to the sport when I was 8 years old back in 1976. The first fight I saw was on network tv between Duran and Edwin viruet. I was hooked immediately. We had a small B&W tv that we would watch all the fights on. I'm a huge sports fan, but boxing has always been my first and true love. Ali and Duran were my first idols, followed by hearns and Arguello. Then when Toney ko'd Nunn, I became a huge fan of his. Although I am Puerto rican, I rooted for bernard to beat trinidad, as he became another favorite of mine. In this decade past, i marvelled at the technical brilliance of PBF. The main reason I love boxing is that as an individual sport, the fighter has no one but to blame but himself if he gets his ass handed to him. Despite crooked referees, judges and promoters, I will Always love boxing. It is the only sport that I unconditionally love.

Comment

Working...
                    X