Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Interesting Wilfredo Gomez Comments......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Interesting Wilfredo Gomez Comments......

This is from 2006.....

''I have been in recovery for eight years, the same amount of time that I've been in church. It has been eight years of monagamy and eight years free of alcohol and cocaine''.

''This is a time period I like to call the rebirth. I stand before you a new man''.

How bad was Gomez during his wild time?

''Real wild. I was using drugs, sleeping with a variety of women. I had alot of bad influences in my life. I never had the proper guidance, but I was a grown man. I knew the difference between right and wrong. I chose to go down the path''.

''If I had been focused and disciplined, I would have never of lost. Belive me when I tell you that''

At the beginning of my career I was fine. Everything started to go downhill at the end of my career''

How did Gomez feel about the news of Salvador Sanchez had died?

''It affected me a great deal, both emotionally and psychologically''

''Salvador was only 23 when he passed away, My God, that's young. He was just starting to live his life. I felt really bad for his family''

''We may have been ring rivals, but we had alot of respect for each other'' ''The other thing that bothered me was that I would never be able to avenge my loss''

''I really blew it the first time around, I didn't have the preparation or the conditioning. I was doing everything you're not supposed to do a few weeks before the fight''

Married with 3 Girls and a Boy, Gomez says he is not a millionaire but doing OK, with various properties. He modestly call Felix Triniadad the greatest Puerto Rican boxer of all time, but later said ''I feel I earned the right to be call the greatest PR boxer of all time''

''There was nothing I cound't do, I could box, I could punch, I had defence, and most importantly I had guts''

He once threatened to kill a cornerman if he pulled him out of a fight he was struggling in vs Rocky Lockridge.

Hell of a fighter.. He was something like 32-0 (32 KO) before he fought Sanchez.. I believe everything he says there..
    P4P, probably the hardest puncher of all time!
    Last edited by mickey malone; 10-18-2009, 07:17 AM.

Comment

at his best wilfredo was amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
        Hell of a fighter.. He was something like 32-0 (32 KO) before he fought Sanchez.. I believe everything he says there..
        P4P, probably the hardest puncher of all time!
        P4P, even harder than Langford and Ketchel?

Comment

He had tons of heart did Gomez, tons of heart, he was badly struggling against Lockridge and looked like he had not conditioned himself adequately but he toughed it out like a true Champion, tremendous heart & punching power.

Barrera is one of my all time fav's as you can see but he would of had his hands full with Gomez, no question about it.

Relentless, good body puncher, quick, devastating puncher, huge heart, good Boxing skills, good at slipping punches.

I think Gomez's biggest flaw was that he used to square himself up and leave himself open when he got into exchanges.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Futch View Post
            P4P, even harder than Langford and Ketchel?
            It's impossible to say, Yes definitely, or No definitely not..
            He'd be in the mix with Ketchel and Langford for sure.. So would Saddler, Foreman, Moore, Jackson etc.. There's loads of probablys, and I'll admit to a bit of latent bias, as I grew up watching Wilfredo..

Comment

It's unfortunate that Gomez abandoned his great use of footwork that he displayed early on in his career in favour of two-fisted slugging but it did make for some exciting fights.

Comment

Working...
              X