Any Arabs in the house?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Arabs in the house?

????

My great grandfather on my mother's side was an immigrant from Lebanon, so I am part Arab. My mother is from the East Coast and I was raised on the West, so I am not terribly close to my mom's family, however we do actually have a very large extended family, which includes a common surname (it's my middle name, as it was my mother's surname).

The original surname is Abou Rjeily, however mine is a modified version.

Comment

Originally posted by Organik View Post
      My great grandfather on my mother's side was an immigrant from Lebanon, so I am part Arab. My mother is from the East Coast and I was raised on the West, so I am not terribly close to my mom's family, however we do actually have a very large extended family, which includes a common surname (it's my middle name, as it was my mother's surname).

The original surname is Abou Rjeily, however mine is a modified version.
      I see. I was interested in learning Arabic and wanted to speak to a few arabs about this.

You speak any Arabic?

Comment

Originally posted by ibnabdullah View Post
        I see. I was interested in learning Arabic and wanted to speak to a few arabs about this.

You speak any Arabic?
        No, I dabbled in it at one point but I have not been able to make a serious effort at learning it.

My focus has been on Japanese mostly, as well as Chinese/Korean to a lesser extent, largely because these have been languages which were available for me to study. Perhaps I'll study Arabic at some point in the future.

Comment

No, I dabbled in it at one point but I have not been able to make a serious effort at learning it.

My focus has been on Japanese mostly, as well as Chinese/Korean to a lesser extent, largely because these have been languages which were available for me to study. Perhaps I'll study Arabic at some point in the future.
          I see. Wait a minute, your the guy that just started the thread about ringing your professor. lols.

I really enjoy learning new languages. It gives you an insight into a culture that is difficult to attain without learning the language.

Comment

I see. Wait a minute, your the guy that just started the thread about ringing your professor. lols.

I really enjoy learning new languages. It gives you an insight into a culture that is difficult to attain without learning the language.
            Yeah, studying languages has almost become something of an obsession for me. However unfortunately, I am more interested in learning about the languages, as well as the relavent cultures, than I am in drilling vocabulary.

Oh well, I guess it's a human thing. Discipline is the name of the game.

Comment

????
              1/3 arab.. Morocco to be exact.. I don't really study my roots that much though. Welcome to BS and don't get butthurt over the racsim. That's everyday stuff around here (unfortunately)

Comment

Do you study japanese culture aswell?

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Champ View Post
                  Do you study japanese culture aswell?
                  Not per se, but I have picked up quite a lot of perspective on Japanese culture through my studies of the language/visits to the country/relations with Japanese nationals.

Comment

Not per se, but I have picked up quite a lot of perspective on Japanese culture through my studies of the language/visits to the country/relations with Japanese nationals.
                    I see. I've been to Japan a couple of times myself. I've always been intrigued by their history which I've been reading up on a lot for some years in my sparetime. Plus I've practiced Kendo for 6 years now. Do you speak Japanese fluid?

Comment

Working...
                    X