How is this good for American boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    Conversation I had yesterday at the barbershop

Me: You watching the Andrade fight tonight?

Barber: Yea I wanted to check him out. It's on ESPN right?

Me: Naw he's fighting on a new app

Barber: On the ESPN app?

Me: No. A new app called DAZN

Barber: Yea I heard of that. Imma have to check it out n

The barber knows who Andrade is. He knows ESPN broadcast fights now. He knows about ESPN plus & DAZN. He's not a casual fan but he's not as hardcore as we are. He follows the sport but needed direction me where to watch the fight. IDK if he watched or not. But I know if it was on ESPN he'd watch it because of ease of access.

An American boxer won a major world title and probably only 20k people saw it. Explain to me how this is good for American boxing.
    We’ve all got phones and access to the internet. If you want to watch it, you’ll know how. If I thought something was on ESPN and find out it’s not, I’ll see where it’s at.

It’s like Netflix. Anything you can watch Netflix on you can watch DAZN on. No excuse.

If you’re a broke ass and can’t afford 10 bucks then you and your boys can gather up some change and watch it separately. I don’t know how many devices work at the same time but I had it on I think 3 things last night. My bedroom, living room, and phone when I was grilling in the back.

It’ll take time to grow of course but the ease of access is there just like with anything, including espn, netflix, etc.

Like they say. Once you know, you know. Once the big fights roll around, you’ll see many more drawn to it and thus knowing the platform and either keeping it or get it for the months they want.

It’s actually quite a good thing for someone to think boxing is in a different “network”. There’s boxing everywhere right now and if you don’t look it up, you’ll end up watching a different fight. It’s a good time.

Comment

I don't know anyone with DAZN. I know a few with the ESPN+ app just because it's an extension of ESPN.

What I've been tryin to say all along. Yes, it's great for us the boxing community. But it's not great for everyone else. Casuals not goin out of their way to get a streamimg service with only combat sports and cricket on it. And I'm not too sure Canelo makes them change anytime soon (the Rocky fight is free.)

Comment

Boxing is really splintered right now.

I expect viewership numbers to suffer, casuals are used to HBO and it will take a while for it to sink in that this outlet is gone.

Showtime can fill the void as people are familiar with it but it has never been as popular.

The apps require subscribing and paying and watching via an internet connection. The traditional boxing fan isn't going to take to this right away, if at all. But maybe the younger generation will flock to it in time?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Boxing is really splintered right now.

I expect viewership numbers to suffer, casuals are used to HBO and it will take a while for it to sink in that this outlet is gone.

Showtime can fill the void as people are familiar with it but it has never been as popular.

The apps require subscribing and paying and watching via an internet connection. The traditional boxing fan isn't going to take to this right away, if at all. But maybe the younger generation will flock to it in time?
          yea those "traditional" boxing fans and there no internet connectivity will take a while them to even know what dem der indernetz are

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
            I don't know anyone with DAZN. I know a few with the ESPN+ app just because it's an extension of ESPN.

What I've been tryin to say all along. Yes, it's great for us the boxing community. But it's not great for everyone else. Casuals not goin out of their way to get a streamimg service with only combat sports and cricket on it. And I'm not too sure Canelo makes them change anytime soon (the Rocky fight is free.)
            u probably didnt know anyone with netflix when that was in its first half a year too

u idiots dont realize things take time to build up

obviosly it wasnt going to explode in to every house hold after 4 months or whatever

Comment

Originally posted by Split Decision View Post
              yea those "traditional" boxing fans and there no internet connectivity will take a while them to even know what dem der indernetz are
              Obviously the older boxing fans know what internet is.

But are they going to pay to stream boxing? I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Split Decision View Post
                u probably didnt know anyone with netflix when that was in its first half a year too

u idiots dont realize things take time to build up

obviosly it wasnt going to explode in to every house hold after 4 months or whatever
                Absouluty not comparable to Netflix other than a streaming service.

Did Netflix jump out of the gate paying an actor the highest paying deal to get their services?

Netflix did not have to be successful at first jump.

DAZN does. Look at the money they're throwing out.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  Conversation I had yesterday at the barbershop

Me: You watching the Andrade fight tonight?

Barber: Yea I wanted to check him out. It's on ESPN right?

Me: Naw he's fighting on a new app

Barber: On the ESPN app?

Me: No. A new app called DAZN

Barber: Yea I heard of that. Imma have to check it out n

The barber knows who Andrade is. He knows ESPN broadcast fights now. He knows about ESPN plus & DAZN. He's not a casual fan but he's not as hardcore as we are. He follows the sport but needed direction me where to watch the fight. IDK if he watched or not. But I know if it was on ESPN he'd watch it because of ease of access.

An American boxer won a major world title and probably only 20k people saw it. Explain to me how this is good for American boxing.
                  An app to supplement boxing is great. An app to be the only outlet for boxing isn’t going to be great for the future of boxing IMO. I should say I believe it is going to make the sport very niche, even more than it is today.

What I think it kills is the casual fan. They guy who has no obligation to do anything other than turn on the TV. Scrolling through he sees a fight and watched a few minutes. Maybe he enjoys it watches more. Maybe that casual fan than becomes hardcore. With an app you’ve essentially killed that casual fan. Can be very good for hardcore but hurts the growth potentially of the sport I think.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
                    We’ve all got phones and access to the internet. If you want to watch it, you’ll know how. If I thought something was on ESPN and find out it’s not, I’ll see where it’s at.

It’s like Netflix. Anything you can watch Netflix on you can watch DAZN on. No excuse.

If you’re a broke ass and can’t afford 10 bucks then you and your boys can gather up some change and watch it separately. I don’t know how many devices work at the same time but I had it on I think 3 things last night. My bedroom, living room, and phone when I was grilling in the back.

It’ll take time to grow of course but the ease of access is there just like with anything, including espn, netflix, etc.

Like they say. Once you know, you know. Once the big fights roll around, you’ll see many more drawn to it and thus knowing the platform and either keeping it or get it for the months they want.

It’s actually quite a good thing for someone to think boxing is in a different “network”. There’s boxing everywhere right now and if you don’t look it up, you’ll end up watching a different fight. It’s a good time.
                    But this is exactly my point. You are going to have to actively look for it. That is fine for the hardcore crowd but it will kill the casual fan.

I consider myself a boxing fan but not a hardcore fan. By hardcore I define that as someone who basically watches everything, within reason. There are few of those people. Last night college football is going on. The Dodgers are on in game 7 and Lebron is playing his first home game.

Maybe I’m surfing the channels and going back and forth and I see the Murata or Andrade fight. I just DVR and catch it a few minutes later, or I watch it then. Or I tell my buddy hey flip over to ESPN or HBO and take a look at this fight tonight. No big commitment or work on their side.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post

Agree. Great for hardcore. Not great for casual fan IMO. Going to make the sport even more niche in the US.

Canelo didn’t even increase views from first to second Golovkin fight. Best drawing power in NA boxing but he isn’t Mayweather or PAC in drawing power.

Comment

Working...
                      X