No announcement yet.

Seckback on how much a fighter takes home

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
    The purse isn't your only income because there are also sponsors. That money after taxes is solely yours unless that too was a hook up from your manager.

You only dictate shots when you can sell tickets. I guess one of the reasons why ethnic minority boxers do well financially is cuz they can network better and get the community behind them. Khan, Sturm, Cotto and all the Mexican-American fighters etc. More tickets also equals more sponsors given those people are paying you to advertise them, so bigger the platform the more sponsors.

As for a bum deal as mentioned in the video Boxing is levels above MMA and Kick boxing in regards to being rewarded. Atleast when you make it big time you're compensated for it. You can be a world champion in MMA/Kickboxing and still not make a title challenger money like Algieiri's 100k vs Provo. Some of their purses are just SAD compared to boxing.
    I think they were just discussing the lower end of guys starting off or just hovering around at that level.

But yea, those things factor in the bigger you get... I guess these are the lower end guys who aren't associated in a big way in the unteleivsed cards or smaller shows

Comment

They got Promoter and Manager mixed up

The Promoter and Manager cannot be the same person

The Promoter gets around 30% which is industry standard, whatever the manager gets is on top of that

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
        They got Promoter and Manager mixed up

The Promoter and Manager cannot be the same person

The Promoter gets around 30% which is industry standard, whatever the manager gets is on top of that
        You dont know what you are talking about. By law, a promoter is not allowed to take a percentage of a fighters purse, with the exception of bouts where the promoter was the losing bidder in a purse bid.

And taxes are always calculated on the net, not the gross. The tax would be calculated last, after the manager and trainer have already been paid.......

Comment

1/3 seems like way too much for a manager, doesn't it? I'd think it'd be more like 15-25%.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Rode View Post
            1/3 seems like way too much for a manager, doesn't it? I'd think it'd be more like 15-25%.
            Maybe he's referring to the starting up part....probably different at the top level

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
              Maybe he's referring to the starting up part....probably different at the top level
              I just never heard of any manager (agents in other sports) taking 33%. It's crazy too pay someone that high of a percentage

33% also seems high for taxes. It might vary state to state but I doubt the government takes 33% of $2k...I could see the top guys who make 6 figures and above paying 33% taxes but I don't think they take that much if they're only making $2k

Comment

I just never heard of any manager (agents in other sports) taking 33%. It's crazy too pay someone that high of a percentage

33% also seems high for taxes. It might vary state to state but I doubt the government takes 33% of $2k...I could see the top guys who make 6 figures and above paying 33% taxes but I don't think they take that much if they're only making $2k
                At the starting point,a guy who just picked up boxing at the lower club levels, I wouldn't be surprised

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
                  At the starting point,a guy who just picked up boxing at the lower club levels, I wouldn't be surprised
                  That wouldn't surprise me either, but they're getting ripped off if they do that.

The taxes part is straight up BS though. I just took a paid vacation where my employer literally paid me to do nothing. I got a little over $1k and I ended up paying about 25% in taxes. Normal pay is taxed even less. Guys who makes 6-7 figures per fight might be paying 30-40% in taxes, but a guy making $2k a fight isn't gonna be getting taxed that much.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                    You dont know what you are talking about. By law, a promoter is not allowed to take a percentage of a fighters purse, with the exception of bouts where the promoter was the losing bidder in a purse bid.

And taxes are always calculated on the net, not the gross. The tax would be calculated last, after the manager and trainer have already been paid.......
                    Didn't see this post earlier, but the bolded does make a lot of sense. 1/3 of $2k is way too much to be paying

Comment

That wouldn't surprise me either, but they're getting ripped off if they do that.

The taxes part is straight up BS though. I just took a paid vacation where my employer literally paid me to do nothing. I got a little over $1k and I ended up paying about 25% in taxes. Normal pay is taxed even less. Guys who makes 6-7 figures per fight might be paying 30-40% in taxes, but a guy making $2k a fight isn't gonna be getting taxed that much.
                      Yea.... maybe he's just taking it in general... there're tax brackets for the income ranges... don't know what's what, but 33 percent is far too much

Comment

Working...
                      X