Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Freddie Mercury the greatest male-vocalist of All-Time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrpedigree View Post
    Tell me another rock/pop super star like freddie that is skilled enough they could go sing opera ?
    Michael Jackson

''Technically, Michael had one of the finest voices in contempary music. His first advantage is the natural speed of his voice. He has the ability to sing in staccato, and sing complex rhythms in perfect timing. The best recorded example of this is the title track from his 1979 album, Off The Wall. Michael possesses a 4 octave vocal range. (Christina Aguelira has a 3 1/2 octave range, Whitney 3, just to give you an example of great voices). His voice goes from two E's below middle C, to two B's above middle C, or 44 notes. This is an EXTREMELY rare range amongst adult male singers. Essentially, Michael was able to reach octaves that other tenors cannot attain with their natural voice. His voice is NOT falsetto, as many people believe. Of course, MJ does use falsetto, but this is the range of notes he can sing in full voice. If you listen to the butterflies acapella, you can hear that all those high notes are in full voice and not falsetto.

He has also been labelled "High tenor" by Seth Riggs, his vocal coach.''

As for the rock tracks look up tracks like Dirty Diana..

Comment

Mercury deserves respect in the music world, but putting him atop so many amazing vocalists, is just absurd. Have you heard David Ruffin? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8F6M6cCzBs
      Luciano Pavarotti, or any one of the three tenors?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zov1X1Sattc
      He's an ATG, but cmmon greatest?

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Champ View Post
        Michael Jackson

''Technically, Michael had one of the finest voices in contempary music. His first advantage is the natural speed of his voice. He has the ability to sing in staccato, and sing complex rhythms in perfect timing. The best recorded example of this is the title track from his 1979 album, Off The Wall. Michael possesses a 4 octave vocal range. (Christina Aguelira has a 3 1/2 octave range, Whitney 3, just to give you an example of great voices). His voice goes from two E's below middle C, to two B's above middle C, or 44 notes. This is an EXTREMELY rare range amongst adult male singers. Essentially, Michael was able to reach octaves that other tenors cannot attain with their natural voice. His voice is NOT falsetto, as many people believe. Of course, MJ does use falsetto, but this is the range of notes he can sing in full voice. If you listen to the butterflies acapella, you can hear that all those high notes are in full voice and not falsetto.

He has also been labelled "High tenor" by Seth Riggs, his vocal coach.''

As for the rock tracks look up tracks like Dirty Diana..
        I don't think Mikes voice was strong enough for opera, though he had an amazing range. I.E the "four octave" range from "off the wall"
        Freddy probably has Mike on the "strength" of his voice.

Comment

these are probably the guys I've got in a list if i made one.

John Lennon (obviously)

Ian Curtis

robert plant (though i kinda feel he ripped steve mariott)

Kurt Cobain( dude had a great rock and roll voice)

Colin hay(the guy from men at work)

bono (even though i find him annoying, there's no denying talent)

chris martin (same. they get alot of a ****, but they make some great pop rock. not digging the new stuff though)

Jim James (just listen to this.)

Comment

Freddy vs Michael?
            judge for yourselves.

Comment

No.

Ville Valo is THE GREATEST male vocalist ever. Period.

You can't find anyone who can go as low as him and then seamlessly go as high as him. He is the greatest.

Comment

hells to the no....

otis redding is. not including classical artists.

Comment

listen to how low he gets, the bass. then how high he can go "she'll never be alone!". bass-baritone. ville is a beast!

I prefer a person who can go low and high, seamlessly. show variety. not just sign in a head/female voice.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
                    hells to the no....

otis redding is. not including classical artists.
                    This man is the only man that's knows what he's talking about...

Otis, Luther and my man Donny Hathaway who had a voice so smooth, it felt like velvet caressing your ears.

It's not just "range", there's a lot of people with range. It's the sound and tone of that persons voice. Soul, heart, emotion and uniqueness means a lot.

Donny Hathaway was one of the greatest to ever do it.
                    Last edited by Cuauhtémoc1520; 07-18-2011, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
                      This man is the only man that's knows what he's talking about...

Otis, Luther and my man Donny Hathaway who had a voice so smooth, it felt like velvet caressing your ears.

It's not just "range", there's a lot of people with range. It's the sound and tone of that persons voice. Soul, heart, emotion and uniqueness means a lot.

Donny Hathaway was one of the greatest to ever do it.
                      If you go by those standards you can't rely deny Nat King Cole

Comment

Working...
                      X