Great IRISH BOXERS--- Not just based in IRELAND

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
    imho Jimmy McLarnin is the GOAT Irish fighter
    He may have the best resume, I made this thread up because Les Darcy was 2nd generation Irish-Aussie. He came from along line, His Mother used to taunt Les's Father with, "the FitzPaartrick's used to beat the Darcy's oop", the Fitzpatricks were all fighting men going way back to pirate days and so were the Darcy's. That's the way of the Irish, tough and uncompromising, that's why the McLarnin's, Dempsey's were fighters. Gentleman Jim Corbett was Irish-American first gen. have you seen "Gentleman Jim" (Errol Flynn), his parents used to argue about which side of the family was responsible for Jim's fightin' genes, Ah it's the way of Irish.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Jimmy Mclarnin is the greatest Irish fighter of all time, IMO.

One of the most elite resumes of all time and beat as many HOF'ers as the great Harry Greb (Technically).

Comment

Andre Ward's father was 100% Irish. I think he could go down as the greatest Irish fighter ever if he beats Kovalev,Stevenson,Beterbiev.

Comment

Originally posted by sugersean15 View Post
          Now that i think of IT some of the best boxer have irish in them look it up ireland=best
          This is true. Even today look at the top guys in boxing and mma. Tyson Fury,AJ,Hughie Fury,Andy Lee,Carl Frampton,Katie Taylor,Conor McGregor,Joe Duffy,etc

And John Joe Nevin will be world champion in the near future.

Comment

Terry McGovern.

Comment

No one in the last 50 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
                This is true. Even today look at the top guys in boxing and mma. Tyson Fury,AJ,Hughie Fury,Andy Lee,Carl Frampton,Katie Taylor,Conor McGregor,Joe Duffy,etc

And John Joe Nevin will be world champion in the near future.
                McGregor just got *****ed out, AJ aint Irish you mug, Duffy hahhaaha and a woman?

I'll give you Frampton and Tyson, both top guys but far from great.

The Irish tradition of boxing is nowhere near as strong as it was in the first half of the 20th century.

In my lifetime, has there been a single great fighter from Ireland or of Irish descent?

Comment

A good idea for a thread. And I get to be the first poster to mention the most illustrious, wise, and arguably the greatest of them all--Mr. Tunney.

Ray Leonard (not Irish) gained boxing immortality, and probably a permanently lofty spot in all time rankings by fans and journalists et al, on a record of even fewer fights, but the right ones at the right time. Gene did miss some important black fighters of his day, but he sure fought the right white ones. I believe he was ready to sign for Harry Wills, when some boxing powers-that-be of the day stepped in to quash the idea.

He was one of the best pure boxers of his day who could also punch and who got his big chance and lived up to it. He retired undefeated heavyweight champion, having lost one fight out of five to Greb as a light heavyweight. In retirement he was a businessman millionaire who mingled among the upper classes and enjoyed gentlemanly pursuits, such as reading literature and writing books of his own. Tunney held onto his money after boxing, and even made more through investments.

So far, no one of any ethnicity in the history of the sport has matched Tunney's over all acheivments in and out of the ring, so he has to be the cream of the Irish crop, as well, as I see it

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    McGregor just got *****ed out, AJ aint Irish you mug, Duffy hahhaaha and a woman?

I'll give you Frampton and Tyson, both top guys but far from great.

The Irish tradition of boxing is nowhere near as strong as it was in the first half of the 20th century.

In my lifetime, has there been a single great fighter from Ireland or of Irish descent?
                    John Duddy?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
                      John Duddy?
                      You're taking the piss right?

Comment

Working...
                      X