Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gloves for hitting the heavy bag (female)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gloves for hitting the heavy bag (female)?

Hey guys,

My wife wants to start hitting the heavy bag as part of her exercise routine. Neither of us knows anything about boxing so I am hoping you guys can give some suggestions as to what type of gloves we should get her...brand/model, weight, etc. I have been doing some reading on here and based on that I am thinking she would want 14oz at the most being female? Are their gloves specifically for women that are smaller on the inside, or are they unisex?

I have already got her some 180" Mexican style wraps on order.

For the gloves, looking for the best value. Do not want to spend a bunch since they are just for exercise, but want to make sure she has something good enough that she does not get hurt.

Thanks!
    Last edited by yttocs; 01-10-2016, 11:24 PM.

Originally posted by yttocs View Post
    Hey guys,

My wife wants to start hitting the heavy bag as part of her exercise routine. Neither of us knows anything about boxing so I am hoping you guys can give some suggestions as to what type of gloves we should get her...brand/model, weight, etc. I have been doing some reading on here and based on that I am thinking she would want 14oz at the most being female? Are their gloves specifically for women that are smaller on the inside, or are they unisex?

I have already got her some 180" Mexican style wraps on order.

For the gloves, looking for the best value. Do not want to spend a bunch since they are just for exercise, but want to make sure she has something good enough that she does not get hurt.

Thanks!
    Depends on her size as females can have much different size and strength. My wife is tiny and uses 8oz but 12 to 14 is ideal for the average woman. Go to Title or Ringside and look at the house brands in the $50 range if you want something that will ensure hand health and durability. It may be "just exercise" but that doesn't change the fact that a person can fk uptheir hands easily, especially if they're starting out on the heavy bag without formal training. They make $35/$40 gloves that are useable but be very, very cautious when hitting the bag without training.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. My wife has an athletic build and is taller than average (for a woman) at about 5'7". I will look into gloves in that 12-14 oz range.

Comment

How about something like this: titleboxing.com/gloves/womens-gloves/title-classic-boxing-gloves
        Or: ringside.com/ringside/ringside-pro-style-training-gloves-10

Don't mind spending more, but if these would work then she can see if it is something that she is going to like and continue to do.

Sorry if the links do not work. Had to delete the www part since I am not allowed to post urls to other sites since I have less than 15 posts.
        Last edited by yttocs; 01-10-2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I am 5'7"/130 woman, I use 12 oz for heavy bag and mitt work, 16 oz for sparring. But this is so right to be cautious when hitting without training. Any newbie tends to concentrate on punch strength and to ignore important basics. If she considers boxing sooner or later, the heavy bag only wouldn't help much at the beginning... watch some videos and add shadowboxing at least imho

Comment

My gym is predominantly women since we have both a former female pro and a female US amateur champion as coaches. Just a more welcoming atmosphere for a mostly male sport I guess.

Just about everyone uses 16 oz Hayabusas for just about everything and no one ever complains. Women are tough so don't worry about making things easier for your wife for that reason. The size of her gloves won't deter her if she takes a liking to it just like anyone who starts boxing.

What's really important is comfort. Some people like the extra weight and hand protection of 16 oz gloves while others prefer a little extra speed with 12's. Not only that but where the padding is differs by brand as well. Some emphasise wrist protection while others do the fist.

If you can it's important to let her try on a few pairs and decide what she prefers. I've owned $300 Winnings the pros use and found that I honestly prefer $90 Hayabusas. What I can recommend for sure is to avoid Everlasts at all costs.

Plus when you pick your own gloves it's like picking out a guitar. It's just more special to you if you get exactly what you want and you actually get excited when you use them.
            Last edited by Firefist; 01-11-2016, 01:30 AM.

Comment

16oz is great for beginners because of extra hand protection.

Knuckles and wrist injuries are nasty and annoying and can keep you out for a long time. Why take a chance?

12oz and 10oz are for people who want to box seriously so they harden their knuckles. If you're just doing it recreationaly there's no need.

But 16oz gloves and make sure you know how to wrap your hands correctly, watch some instruction videos on youtube. You need to have your hands wrapped properly otherwise you're risking injuries.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. It all helps. We do not have any stores locally that sell good boxing gear so we may have to order online without trying them on first. Will do some more checking and see if there are any retail places in the nearest city (you would think there would be).
                I was worried 16oz may be too large for her hands, but it sounds like plenty of women are wearing them according to these posts. Again, this is purely for fitness...she will never be sparring, etc. since we do not have the facilities in the area.

Comment

Working...
                X