Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Rock: "Rugby is tougher than American Football"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audley Harrison is 6ft 7, 245 lbs (im guessing both, cant be fecked looking it up) can punch with a force of 1 metric tonne and he's as soft as ****.

Comment

• Great troll thread. What's next? Let's talk about how Cricket is tougher than Baseball or how Croquet is tougher than Golf.

Comment

• Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
        Here's 10 off the top of my head, and yeah, you might be able to pull up some random fat ****s that are a bit bigger, but you won't be "dwarfing them", i've done my research and there are some nfl players over 6'7" 300lb but they look soft, they would have to lose a lot of flab to be able to go 80 minutes, and if bakkies botha bulked up to just make kamikaze strikes he'd be over 300lb too, so i think it evens out.

1. Ali Williams 6'7.5" 260lb
        2 Bakkies Botha 6'7.5" 272lb
        3. Martin Johnson 6'7" 273lb
        4. Luke Chartris 6'9" 286lb
        5. Tony Buckley 6'5" 302lb
        6. Andries Bekker 6'10" 265lb
        7. Jonah Lomu 6'5" 272lb
        8. John Eagles 6'7" 260lb
        9. James Horwill 6'7" 260lb
        10. Nemani Nadolo 6'6" 290lb

And again, all these guys are in a game where they are playing a full 40 minutes with no breaks, then a quick break and another 40 minutes.

Back before rugby turned PRO, the average player was like 5'11" 180lb, but in the modern era they are a hell of a lot bigger, when Lomu was playing he was considered enormous, but nowadays he'd just be a bit bigger than average, and every year the average size is going up and up.

Interestingly, a lot of fans think the sport is actually less interesting to watch nowadays as they preferred the speed and flair that the older, smaller players had, although if you watch the way the All Blacks play, I think they are more skilled than the old school, but that's just me

Those guys are freaking huge and i respect rugby players but i think it takes much greater athletic skill to play in the nfl. imo i think the nfl is a whole lot more complex than rugby. its night and day. a lot more rules, a lot more complex defensive and offensive schemes than rugby. Even the way they draft and scout and physically test prospective players is a whole lot more complex than rugby.

They test everything. From their vertical jump, straight away speed, cone drills that test agility, catching drills, their strength, intelligence (wonderlic), and if that wasnt enough there's the player interviews where teams ask each player personal questions. See dez bryant who got asked straight up if his mother was a crackwhore prostitute.

I might have underestimated rugby players size when i said nfl players dwarf them but those guys you listed up there are those the normal size for most rugby players? Are those active players or players from different eras? Even still, i think most tackles, guards, in the nfl are still bigger. And those fat offensive linemen you talk about are also very athletic. Tackles especially have to have quick feet, intelligence (all offensive linemen) to read and recognize offensive and defensive schemes and great hand eye coordination.

DE- JJ Watt 6'5, 290lbs.

DT-stephen paea 6'1 303

DE- Mario Williams 6'6 290

LT-Duane Brown 6'4 315

DE Jason Pierre Paul 6-5, 270

DT Ndamokung Suh 6'4, 307 & Gerald Mcoy 6'4, 295

I havent even listed the mammoth guards, centers, defensive tackles that rugby players would have a hard time scrumming with. Those guys you listed are huge but how normal and consistent are players at that size in rugby? in the nfl they are all freaking huge.

DT vince wilfork 6'2, 325
        G carl nicks 6'5, 343
        G brandon brooks 6'5, 343
        C ryan cook 6'6, 325
        DT haloti ngata 6'4, 335
        C maurkice pouncey 6'4, 304

I can go on forever listing similar sized players FOR EVERY TEAM!!! Those physical measurements are the norm. the fvkcing norm!!!! I have a hard time believing any rugby squad winning scrum battles with nfl offensive and defensive lines.

Ill just let chris rock explain it to you:

NFL = N***** ****ing Large.
        Last edited by The Tase; 11-27-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DTMB View Post
          and if that wasnt enough there's the player interviews where teams ask each player personal questions. See dez bryant who got asked straight up if his mother was a crackwhore prostitute.
          That seals it then. The players get asked questions, therefore American Football is tougher than Rugby.

Why do you keep going on and on and on about size? Is heavyweight Boxing tougher than welterweight Boxing? There you go.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
            That seals it then. The players get asked questions, therefore American Football is tougher than Rugby.

Why do you keep going on and on and on about size? Is heavyweight Boxing tougher than welterweight Boxing? There you go.
            No, but would a heavyweight beat a welterweight?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
              No, but would a heavyweight beat a welterweight?
              Because they are naturally bigger, yeah.

Toughness has no bearing on it. Who's tougher, Audley Harrison or Arturo Gatti?

Comment

how are you just gonna pigeon whole that entire post and single out just one aspect and sarcastically say that's the reason why its tougher?

i guess the other things i mentioned just went over your head then? stop trying to be condescendingly sarcastic and going to extremes to prove somebody wrong.

going on and on about size?

yea because size doesnt matter in sports especially rugby and the nfl. Did you even read the quote i quoted? we were talking about size. because size matters in sports.

stop being stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by DTMB View Post
                  how are you just gonna pigeon whole that entire post and single out just one aspect and sarcastically say that's the reason why its tougher?

i guess the other things i mentioned just went over your head then? stop trying to be condescendingly sarcastic and going to extremes to prove somebody wrong.

going on and on about size?

yea because size doesnt matter in sports especially rugby and the nfl. Did you even read the quote i quoted? we were talking about size. because size matters in sports.

stop being stupid.
                  Why would I reply to the full post? It's a list of irrelevancies. It's a debate about which sport is tougher/more physically demanding to play, not which sport has the bigger/stronger/faster athletes.

The only reason I quoted that particular sentence is because of how laughable it is that somehow you think a player being asked some pre-draft questions is somehow relevant to an argument about how physically demanding a sport is.

Besides, I've already addressed some of your points in an earlier post which you didn't even respond to.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=96

Comment

• Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
                    Great troll thread. What's next? Let's talk about how Cricket is tougher than Baseball or how Croquet is tougher than Golf.
                    I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet you haven't watched much Rugby or Cricket.

Comment

Why would I reply to the full post? It's a list of irrelevancies. It's a debate about which sport is tougher/more physically demanding to play, not which sport has the bigger/stronger/faster athletes.

The only reason I quoted that particular sentence is because of how laughable it is that somehow you think a player being asked some pre-draft questions is somehow relevant to an argument about how physically demanding a sport is.

Besides, I've already addressed some of your points in an earlier post which you didn't even respond to.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=96

and those were already addressed but you still felt the need to post it anyway. dwayne johnnson never made it in the nfl and couldnt cut it in canadian football league. i think he has some bitterness towards the sport.

and your other question was also addressed but you still felt the need to stupidly ask it again despite the answer being in your face. the greater show of athleticism is short distance speed than long enduring marathons.

that's why they get paid more, that's why they are bigger stars and is the signature event in the olympics.

and size being an american thing?

yea you are stupid. size is a universal thing in sports.

Comment

Working...
                      X