Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clinching when hurt is the most underrated tool in all of boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clinching when hurt is the most underrated tool in all of boxing.

And the fight tonight displayed that. It was the same thing with cotto for the majority of his career.

I don't understand it. How is one of the most important tools in all of boxing so widely ignored by supposed world class corner's?

The fact that Cotto went his whole career with a HOF resume filled with hard punchers...while virtually never clinching sans the last margarito fight, is amazing in itself.

Juanma much like earlier cotto, has the same problem of too much heart for his own good + inept corner. You can not be a boxer/puncher/brawler in this game and not know how to clinch when you are hurt...its a cardinal sin.

I hope PR trainers can take a page out of Cuban's books and start emphasizing the importance of angles/holding. Juanma has huge thick legs that have somehow kept him up in the first salido fight and that hellfight with mtagwa, I have no doubt that if he simply implemented clinching into his game, he would benefit hugely.

I know, I know. "BUT DERP, JUANMA WAS A KO WAITING TO HAPPEN. HE HAS NO DEFENSE" That may be true, but dont underestimate the amount of difference being able to get your breath back for a couple seconds is in a diehard sport like boxing, WHILE forcing your opponent to reset their offense. Just look at Bernard Holdkins career lasting until 46 frickin years old.

Clinching = longevity in this sport. Period.

There are just way too many skilled, super talented fighters out there today that have local cornermen for years, that when they reach the elite level of opposition, simply cannot elevate their fighter's to the next level.

bumpity bump

Comment

You saw Salido do it after he was knocked down. He didn't even take the risk, he immediately clinched. Smart fighters recognize when to clinch.

Comment

Maybe they ignored it because it's against the rules and they don't want to cheat? I don't mind it if the fighter is hurt, but using as a tactic to stop your opponents offence is BS.

Comment

Clinching is also illegal and for sissies.

Comment

I agree! Clinching is a great tool. I never understood why fighters throw back when they are hurt, I guess it's just human nature.

When you lost that round, try to survive and go restart in the next round. You may lose that round but the war is 12 round.

Comment

Very good point, but too many boxers act too proud to do this.

Comment

A little clinching is acceptable but when it is the main tool you have in your arsenal like Bhop it becomes annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post
                  Very good point, but too many boxers act too proud to do this.
                  Totally agree.

Comment

Clinching is gay and ruins inside fighting.

Comment

Working...
                    X