Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Futch-Arcel, who was the greater trainer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Futch-Arcel, who was the greater trainer?

Both Ray Arcel and Eddie Futch trained some of the greatest champions in history. In your opinion, who was the greater trainer and why? Do you base your opinion solely on the names they trained or do you look at who they developed a fighter and the game plans they brought into the biggest fights. Vote and discuss.
    Futch
    60.00%
    Arcel
    40.00%

The poll is expired.

It's got to be Arcel for the pure fact he trained 20WC.

3 of them included in my Top 10 P4P.

Comment

Ray Arcel.

Greatest trainer of all time.

Comment

I gravitate towards Futch because he trained 2 of my favorite hw's, Smokin' Joe and Riddick Bowe. I have heard of Arcel, but don't know that much about him, so the choice is pretty obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
          I gravitate towards Futch because he trained 2 of my favorite hw's, Smokin' Joe and Riddick Bowe. I have heard of Arcel, but don't know that much about him, so the choice is pretty obvious.
          Eddie Futch didn't actually take the role of main trainer until Yanky Durham died, which was after his best win in FOTC. So his impact on Frazier is over-rated IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            Eddie Futch didn't actually take the role of main trainer until Yanky Durham died, which was after his best win in FOTC. So his impact on Frazier is over-rated IMO.
            Doesn't matter. He did some good work with Joe. And he also trained Magic Man Starling, another HOF-worthy fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
              Doesn't matter. He did some good work with Joe. And he also trained Magic Man Starling, another HOF-worthy fighter.
              Of course, I still have him a Top 3 ATG trainer, I'm just pointing that his work with Frazier is not all it seemed at first.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                Futch was the one who basically laid out the groundwork while Yurham was in charge. He didnt want to take the spotlight, so he had no problem taking a backseat and allowing Durham to take the main credit

I dont know much about Arcel, which kinds of disqualifies me form this debate

Comment

Futch by a hair.....wouldn't quibble over someone having Arcel ahead though. Really they're 1-A 1-B GOAT trainers.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    Futch by a hair.....wouldn't quibble over someone having Arcel ahead though. Really they're 1-A 1-B GOAT trainers.

Poet
                    This is pretty much how I see it. I slightly lean towards Futch because I know he designed game plans to beat Ali. Thats pretty big in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X