Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else feel like ggg should have gone to the body more?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
    Not surprised at all, it's not that simple to go to the body when your opponent is quicker than you with the counter. He was getting countered early on, so he knew where is speed was at. Canelo would have taken more rounds of him if he had done that, you could see Canelo was the one landing those right hands to the body.
    Yes...canelo was generally better in the middle of the ring...but i was talking about when ggg had canelo on the ropes. There was plenty of opportunity to mix in body shots and i believe it would have allowed him to land more effective head shots. It was clear mid way through the fight that ggg didn't respect canelo's power too much...he stepped right to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Street View Post
      No. If he had gone to the body, Canelo would have countered him to the face. It was a no win situation
      What you say is true when they were in the middle of the ring, but when ggg had canelo's back on the ropes...he coulda mixed in the body shots.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
        Yes...canelo was generally better in the middle of the ring...but i was talking about when ggg had canelo on the ropes. There was plenty of opportunity to mix in body shots and i believe it would have allowed him to land more effective head shots. It was clear mid way through the fight that ggg didn't respect canelo's power too much...he stepped right to him.
        If you are talking about on the ropes yeah I agree, he was head hunting all his shots. He could have gone for the sort of shot he landed on Mackie but I think he was looking for those head shots that would take you clean out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
          If you are talking about on the ropes yeah I agree, he was head hunting all his shots. He could have gone for the sort of shot he landed on Mackie but I think he was looking for those head shots that would take you clean out.
          Ye he was most definitely looking to take his head off...but canelo has very good defense. Even the shots he takes he rolls with them well...ggg should have recognized this and hit the body. Canelo spent too much time with his back on the ropes.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
            Just adding to what Ray said - its not that simple, even on the ropes. When Canelo was on the ropes he wasn't in a compromised position, he was 90% of the time in a position to counter and his eyes were always on Golovkin.

In that scenario GGG has to sell out to land those body shots - and people always assume selling out means risking your chin, and possibly being hurt or knocked down, but its not just that its the points he is giving away in a nip and tuck fight which is stopping him from doing that. Its not about respecting his power. Hagler in his fight with Leonard sold out, but he also gave up plenty of head shots in the process which ultimately cost him to lose the fight.

I personally feel GGG fought a great fight, probably close to the best fight he could against a more talented fighter. I had the fight a draw, could maybe see 7-5 Golovkin. They need to have another one, but mark my words Canelo will be better in the rematch so GGG will have to fight another great fight to win.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
              Just adding to what Ray said - its not that simple, even on the ropes. When Canelo was on the ropes he wasn't in a compromised position, he was 90% of the time in a position to counter and his eyes were always on Golovkin.

In that scenario GGG has to sell out to land those body shots - and people always assume selling out means risking your chin, and possibly being hurt or knocked down, but its not just that its the points he is giving away in a nip and tuck fight which is stopping him from doing that. Its not about respecting his power. Hagler in his fight with Leonard sold out, but he also gave up plenty of head shots in the process which ultimately cost him to lose the fight.

I personally feel GGG fought a great fight, probably close to the best fight he could against a more talented fighter. I had the fight a draw, could maybe see 7-5 Golovkin. They need to have another one, but mark my words Canelo will be better in the rematch so GGG will have to fight another great fight to win.
              I can see that perspective...but there were times on the ropes where canelo had gone completely defensive. Ggg was winging some pretty wide head shots and getting countered out of position...i don't think he had that much respect for canelo's power, he was just looking to hurt him. I feel like he had plenty of opportunities to mix in body shots.

Comment

He did respect his power especially on the ropes there was a moment were ggg attacked on the ropes and canelo dodged and left the ropes and ggg stayed canelo saw him and walked back to him and layed back on the ropes inviting him and ggg refused to attack

Comment

Working...
                X