No announcement yet.

Lifting Weights and Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
    There was a steroid distributor that was busted and had records for Holyfield for his entire professional career. That's including when he was a cruiserweight. Steroids are beneficial no matter what weight class you're in since they aid in recovery and strength as well.
    If you can find a link to this I'd love to read more; while I'm aware of the "Evan Fields" fiasco at the end of his career involving Applied Pharmacy Services, and the alleged link to Signature Pharmacy--another outfit servicing anti-aging doctors who Rx HGH and low doses of testosterone for TRT--if there is another story that has come to light I'd love to read it--Holyfield became a heavyweight, remember, before anabolic steroids were a controlled substance, and the rumors I've heard involve conventional steroid cycles such as testosterone in higher doses plus Deca-Durabolin and/or Winstrol.

If you compare, for example, the physique Holyfield displayed against Bowe in the first fight with the one in the second--it's quite a contrast; a similar contrast exists between the physique Holyfield had vs. Bobby Czyz and the one he brought into the ring vs. Tyson--his next fight. Night and day, or, rather, OFF and ON. Not the kind of change one who expect from someone who was consistent in his "supplementation" regardless of the fighter in front of him. Apparently Holyfield thought he could beat Czyz without juicing, but Tyson required a little "help".
    Last edited by GelfSara; 10-18-2017, 10:05 PM.

Comment

What about lifting weights ruins your cardio then?
      Nothing.

Scroll back a few posts for details on a weight training study which improved the average 2-mile run time of a group of college-age men by 88 seconds in 6 weeks without a single step of running.

Obviously, one can--if one wishes--strength train in a manner which does not greatly benefit endurance. Short sets with long rests in between, for example. But training this way won't harm endurance--it just won't be as beneficial as other, better, methods of training.

Comment

Originally posted by GelfSara View Post
        While one tends to gain MORE muscle while eating above maintenance, even persons who simultaneously go on a below-maintenance diet and begin a weight training program typically gain muscle while losing fat. This happens because adipose (fat) tissue contains far more energy per unit weight than muscle tissue, and the body can "rob" the energy required for daily needs (that is not provided by the hypocaloric diet) from fat stores while building muscle.

There are numerous studies on this; if you like, google

gaining muscle calorie deficit studies

Or go to Google Scholar and search more extensively.

Obviously, if one wishes to gain muscle while losing fat, in addition to an appropriate strength training program which hits all major muscle groups, it is very helpful for the diet to be only modestly below maintenance and high (1-1.5 grams/lb of bodyweight) in protein.
        Yeah but they aren't adding any more weight which is what I'm talking about. That was implied. If you want to talk about replacing fat with muscle then that is something else entirely. You can't build muscle (increasing weight) without eating in a caloric surplus, there is no way around this.

The rest of your post is talking about another subject entirely other than what the thread is pertaining to.

Comment

But training this way won't harm endurance--it just won't be as beneficial as other, better, methods of training.
          Yes it will. You're training your muscles to work for a short amount of time instead of for a long duration like in a fight.

Just for one second practice what you preach. I guarantee if you train like you've been saying then your conditioning will go down the toilet.

Comment

Nothing.

Scroll back a few posts for details on a weight training study which improved the average 2-mile run time of a group of college-age men by 88 seconds in 6 weeks without a single step of running.

Obviously, one can--if one wishes--strength train in a manner which does not greatly benefit endurance. Short sets with long rests in between, for example. But training this way won't harm endurance--it just won't be as beneficial as other, better, methods of training.
            I was asking mojo, I know full well it doesn't ruin your stamina. He's the one claiming it so I was asking why he thinks that so I could pick him apart some more. Honestly it's getting a little boring picking on him anyways. He just makes excuses and avoids questions.

Comment

I was asking mojo, I know full well it doesn't ruin your stamina. He's the one claiming it so I was asking why he thinks that so I could pick him apart some more. Honestly it's getting a little boring picking on him anyways. He just makes excuses and avoids questions.
              Lol you're one of THOSE guys...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
                Lol you're one of THOSE guys...
                one of those guys who uses logic and reason. I know, we're intolerable for you. Have fun being small, flabby and weak.

Comment

Yeah but they aren't adding any more weight which is what I'm talking about. That was implied. If you want to talk about replacing fat with muscle then that is something else entirely. You can't build muscle (increasing weight) without eating in a caloric surplus, there is no way around this.

The rest of your post is talking about another subject entirely other than what the thread is pertaining to.
                  If one begins an intelligently designed weight training program while in a modest calorie deficit one will gain muscle and lose fat while decreasing total body weight and while increasing strength and endurance.

If one begins an intelligently designed weight training program while eating the same number of calories one burns per day one will gain muscle and lose fat while roughly maintaining body weight and while increasing strength and endurance.

If one begins an intelligently designed weight training program while in a calorie surplus one will either gain muscle while not adding body fat or while adding body fat--while increasing strength and endurance (the exception being an extreme calories surplus--which could interfere with endurance in some activities).
                  Last edited by GelfSara; 10-24-2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Gotcha--my bad. I agree--he has no clue what he is talking about. It would be like me talking about the history of brain surgery techniques.

Comment

Yes it will. You're training your muscles to work for a short amount of time instead of for a long duration like in a fight.

Just for one second practice what you preach. I guarantee if you train like you've been saying then your conditioning will go down the toilet.
                      The evidence shows, once again, you have no clue what you are talking about.

For example, a 2008 study by Øyvind Støren and coworkers in Norway (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18460997) examined a rigorous program focusing on raw leg strength with no endurance component (heavy weights, long rests between sets) added to existing endurance training.

Støren’s protocol was four sets of four half-squats with a barbell, three times a week with three minutes of recovery, with nearly the heaviest weight the subjects could manage.

Seventeen runners (nine men and eight women) with 5k bests in the 18:40-range partook, with nine in the experimental group and eight in the control group. All of the subjects carried out their normal training during the eight week study and underwent the usual battery of physiology tests before and after the study.

Støren’s subjects displayed no increase in oxygen intake but a 5% increase in running economy and a startling 21% improvement in a treadmill run to exhaustion at somewhat faster than 3k race pace vs. the control group, who had no improvement on either mark. Støren et al. chalk up the improvements to increased muscular efficiency.

The runners who completed the half-squat protocol not only became stronger, but also more powerful—they were able to generate force much more quickly after the strength program. The researchers proposed that this allowed them to have a “quicker” stride and save energy while running.

Comment

Working...
                      X