Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most underrated fighters in fantasy fights...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    And cause you heard it that somehow makes it illogical... Ok Sugar. You usually make more sense than what one could loosely call these "lines of reason." I get that you feel strongly about this and are temporarily abandoning the house of reason. So be it...Floyd is underated going head to head even though he didn't.
    Lmao....

Keep proving my point..

"Floyd a shytbag, can't beat the greats"

You are just proving my point that he is underrated in fantasy fights..

I got tons of replies on this thread, and all think I'm crazy,,, totally proving my point Floyd underrated..

Shyt is so funny..
    Me---"Floyd underrated in fantasy fights"

Posters--- "no he isn't, he loses"

I honestly can't make up this stupidity.. posters actually think Floyd overrated and everyone can beat him

Comment

And cause you heard it that somehow makes it illogical... Ok Sugar. You usually make more sense than what one could loosely call these "lines of reason." I get that you feel strongly about this and are temporarily abandoning the house of reason. So be it...Floyd is underated going head to head even though he didn't.
      Lmao... Keep hating on floyd.... Only backs my reasoning that he is underrated in these fantasy fights

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
        I also think head-to-head fantasy fights are best when comparing two fighters who fought maybe only a generation or two away from each other rather than over far larger periods of time.
        Yeah, it doesn't really make sense to discuss fantasy fights between today's boxers and those active 100 or more years ago.

Old timers like Fitz, Ketchel, Dempsey, etc. were the best in THEIR OWN TIME! How can we reasonably ask for more than that? I don't think we can. You can't really aim higher, or strive for more, than being the best in your own era... and that boxing has moved on since then, doesn't lessen their accomplishments, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
          Yeah, it doesn't really make sense to discuss fantasy fights between today's boxers and those active 100 or more years ago.

Old timers like Fitz, Ketchel, Dempsey, etc. were the best in THEIR OWN TIME! How can we reasonably ask for more than that? I don't think we can. You can't really aim higher, or strive for more, than being the best in your own era... and that boxing has moved on since then, doesn't lessen their accomplishments, imo.
          The sport was different and thats a big part of it. Simplicity is a virtue...as they say. But different things come into play when we change glove sizes, fighting distances, etc.

Comment

I think the thing with Floyd is, people (mostly people trying to hate on him) always try and treat him like a WW and put him in fights with some of the great WW's who often moved up to MW and beyond. Sure he would probably lose to SRR, Hearns, SRL and the likes because they are naturally much bigger (and better imo, but thats not the point of this comment).

Put him in with the great LW's of all time and its a much more difficult pick, though I think theres a couple who stylistically would have his number.

Comment

You are being intolerable! make a list of all the fellow ATG's Floyd has beat in their prime....wait let me do it for you

There!

Floyd is not underrated, he never tested himself in the manner of a lot of the guys who have experience balls being taken to the wall... And when Floyd did get pressure he showed weakness. it would tend to lead one to believe that Floyd would be lacking in a head to head match...At least Roy Jones, quite the cherry picker himself at times, beat some great fighters prime for prime.

And the posters answered your inquiry well imo...Whitaker showed he could handle pressure, basically making Chavez look like an amateur. Floyd, by comparison, made an amateur (Madiana) look like a pro! Not to mention what should have been his first loss.
              Whitaker fought Chavez when he was in his prime, Mayweather fought Maidana when he was 38 years old and way past it.

That's like saying Whitaker couldn't handle pressure because he struggled with McGirt and Riveira who put educated pressure on him and barely scraped victories against them.

What should have been his first loss?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Whitaker fought Chavez when he was in his prime, Mayweather fought Maidana when he was 38 years old and way past it.

That's like saying Whitaker couldn't handle pressure because he struggled with McGirt and Riveira who put educated pressure on him and barely scraped victories against them.

What should have been his first loss?

Castillo in both cases! First loss arguably and proof that he was susceptable to pressure fighters. Surely you exxagerate..."Way past it?" "Prime?" I recall that Sweet Pea was a little past it, so was Chavez though, to be fair.

the difference is that the pea fought many of the greats including Trinidad and De La Hoya, again we get into what Mayweather fans hate to hear... Floyd never had those fights with a fellow great." If Floyd had the exact same experience with Castillo and had fought at least one ATG in their prime I would concede the point, but it raises a red flag when it comes to comparing head to head comparisons.

And yes he fought and had a competative fight, with an old De La Hoya...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  I think the thing with Floyd is, people (mostly people trying to hate on him) always try and treat him like a WW and put him in fights with some of the great WW's who often moved up to MW and beyond. Sure he would probably lose to SRR, Hearns, SRL and the likes because they are naturally much bigger (and better imo, but thats not the point of this comment).

Put him in with the great LW's of all time and its a much more difficult pick, though I think theres a couple who stylistically would have his number.
                  THis is indeed a great point. I have his greatest fighting weight at around 135 pounds or so.

Comment

Castillo in both cases! First loss arguably and proof that he was susceptable to pressure fighters. Surely you exxagerate..."Way past it?" "Prime?" I recall that Sweet Pea was a little past it, so was Chavez though, to be fair.

the difference is that the pea fought many of the greats including Trinidad and De La Hoya, again we get into what Mayweather fans hate to hear... Floyd never had those fights with a fellow great." If Floyd had the exact same experience with Castillo and had fought at least one ATG in their prime I would concede the point, but it raises a red flag when it comes to comparing head to head comparisons.

And yes he fought and had a competative fight, with an old De La Hoya...
                    No I don't exaggerate. Floyd was well past his prime in 2014.

Whitaker passed his prime in 1993? How?

How does it prove that he can't handle pressure when he beat him? Castillo was an very good fighter by the way and the best Lightweight of the modern era. And he beat him twice, same as Maidana.

Again, it's the equivalent to saying Whitaker can't handle pressure because he struggled with McGirt and Rivera and just about scarpes wins against them just like Floyd did in the first Castillo and Maidana fights.

It's like saying Whitaker can't handle boxers because he had major problems with Hurtado.

Lastly, what prime ATG's where possible fights on Floyd's radar throughout his career? I've got Pacauaio in 2010 and now I'm stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      No I don't exaggerate. Floyd was well past his prime in 2014.

Whitaker passed his prime in 1993? How?

How does it prove that he can't handle pressure when he beat him? Castillo was an very good fighter by the way and the best Lightweight of the modern era. And he beat him twice, same as Maidana.

Again, it's the equivalent to saying Whitaker can't handle pressure because he struggled with McGirt and Rivera and just about scarpes wins against them just like Floyd did in the first Castillo and Maidana fights.

It's like saying Whitaker can't handle boxers because he had major problems with Hurtado.

Lastly, what prime ATG's where possible fights on Floyd's radar throughout his career? I've got Pacauaio in 2010 and now I'm stuck.
                      The first Castillo fight many people thought he lost, myself included. The difference is that Sweet pea faced other great fighters prime to prime, Floyd did not, so even if he had a tough outing we know that he at least fought that level of comp and performed...We don't know that with Floyd.

The details of WHY Floyd didn't...people were not around for him to fight, etc, don't concern me. its a shame that Vitalie klitsko never faced a great fighter at his best, I personally think it would have proved he was better than his brother...BUT facts are facts!

Oh and struggling in an outing, making adjustments etc is one thing. We may feel differently about what the Castillo and Madianna fight revealed...Ill leave it at that. I do think to say that Floyd was at his best and should be judged lighter weight days is fair.
                      Last edited by billeau2; 12-10-2016, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X