No announcement yet.

This Is Why The Super 6 Is Such A Great Idea

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is Why The Super 6 Is Such A Great Idea

I think most all boxing fans were excited about the Super 6 when it began. I think most would agree that what has followed has not been exactly best case scenario.

There have been controversial referees and scorecards, a fighter dropping out, delays, venue changes and a disqualification.

Tonight's fight along with the Dirrell- Abraham fight showed what makes this tournament truly unique and why all the fighters who enter should get a lot of credit for the amount of risk involved.

The way the Dirrell-AA fight ended overshadowed a brilliant performance by Dirrell, an underdog against an undefeated champion.

Tonight's fight took the theme of Dirrell-Abraham and Froch and Kessler went to war in an old fashioned fight that most boxing fans will agree was the year's best.

What it comes down to is that in both Dirrell and Kessler's cases they were faced with the unfortunate reality of the tournament structure and the fact that a Loss would most likely spell the end of their progress in the tourney, and also a terrible blow to their career prospects.

How many times nowadays does a fighter coming off a loss step right back into the ring with a undefeated champion with so much to lose? With no easy fight in between. With nowhere to go but forward?

The Super 6 puts these guys backs against the wall and faces them to buckle down and literally fight for their boxing life.

In both Kessler and Dirrell's case they were able to use this to motivate themselves to put on career defining performances under the greatest pressure a fighter can face.

As I said it was a shame the way Dirrell-Abraham ended as it put a black eye on this tournament that could have been further bruised by another bizarre or controversial ending.

Tonight Kessler, Froch, the ref, the judges, Showtime and everyone else involved finally got it right.

All credit to Mikkel Kessler for being willing to dig so deep and prove to everyone why this tournament is such a great idea for the sport.

This was a good candidate for FOTY...I told people that Mikkel has just had some problems with southpaws, he was not shot like a lot of people claim.
    This just made Andre Ward's stock raise that much further...
    no doubt a lot of Froch fans will be upset...

Comment

This fight breathed life into the Super 6. It needed a standout fight.

Competitive, tough fight.

Comment

I Love the fact that all of these undefeated fighters are putting their records on the line 3 fights in a row against live and threatening opposition.

Somewhere in the last couple years if a person has 3, 2, or even 1 lost people are asking if the person is shot, ruined or even done.

Its a sport, it's a good chance you can lose against someone who trains just as hard or you. Let's not leave out an off night.

Excellent Idea. Props to the fighters. This helps boxing.

Comment

The question really is would Kessler have been able to step it up to this level again if he had 9 months off, fought a bum, then took 6 months off and fought for a title (after losing to Ward) ?

I just don't think so. So in a way the Super 6 has forced Kessler to uncover the best version of himself.

Comment

Waiting for Froch to be formally alimented by Abraham.

Comment

Originally posted by damned1974 View Post
              This was a good candidate for FOTY...I told people that Mikkel has just had some problems with southpaws, he was not shot like a lot of people claim.
              This just made Andre Ward's stock raise that much further...
              no doubt a lot of Froch fans will be upset...
              The way Kessler rallied in the end made me smile. I was very happy for him. That's heart right there.

Comment

That was the same Kessler as the one who fought Ward. The difference was that he had the crowd to boost his confidence and that he wasn't being headbutted. Also, Froch and Ward are totally different fighters. Ward is faster, more intelligent and versatile. Froch hits harder and has heavy hands and longer reach.

Comment

Originally posted by PH|L View Post
                  That was the same Kessler as the one who fought Ward. The difference was that he had the crowd to boost his confidence and that he wasn't being headbutted. Also, Froch and Ward are totally different fighters. Ward is faster, more intelligent and versatile. Froch hits harder and has heavy hands and longer reach.
                  But Froch is also allot more open to strikes than any of the others.

Comment

it was a good fight. there should be more tournaments in boxing

Comment

Working...
                    X