Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some of The Worst Stoppages In Boxing History?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I knew the names of the fighters, but I remember seeing a clip on the news in the '90s sometime on the local news where a ref stops a fight when both guys are standing and throwing punches and the loser holds out his arms and asks why? Some kind of crazy plays of the week clip.

Comment

Originally posted by OCPancho View Post
      You can blame WBC and Sulaiman for screwing the Duvas for that too. Lou did not think they could win a close decision . They were already robbed in the first Whitaker- Ramirez fight. Absolutely the worst decision I ever saw. I didn't think Ramirez even won 3 rounds . This was worse than Pac-Bradley 1.
      Then Rocky Lockridge barely lost to JCC. The Duvas thought Rocky did enough .

Plenty of boxers got wrecked in their winning performances. Ali in Thrilla in Manila was totally spent . Wanted to quit at the end of the 12th round. Dundee would not stop the fight .
      I can't contradict you.

But I do questioning Lou Duva and Angelo Dundee as human beings. When any of their fighters were spent and damaged goods, they just moved on to another young prospect to take advantage of.

To me, neither Duva nor Dundee were the nicest of guys.
      Last edited by Ben Bolt; 05-12-2018, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
        I can't contradict you.

But I do questioning Lou Duva and Angelo Dundee as human beings. When any of their fighters were spent and damaged goods, they just moved on to another young prospect to take advantage of.

To me, neither Duva nor Dundee were the nicest of guys.
        Well, you can probably say that about most trainers and managers .
        And promoters.
        The boxers are their own worst enemies themselves though. They don't know how to save money ( most ).
        Actually, most athletes don't .
        Retired NBA and NFL players are mostly broke after 3 years of retirement .
        Baseball has the best program b/c they are vested after 10 years of service.
        I know several of them who just play golf now .

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          Would you say it was a worse decision than Casamayor vs. Santa Cruz.
          Can't be worse than Ruelas-Garcia.
          I have no clue what Mitch Halpern was watching that day.

Comment

Well, you can probably say that about most trainers and managers .
            And promoters.
            The boxers are their own worst enemies themselves though. They don't know how to save money ( most ).
            Actually, most athletes don't .
            Retired NBA and NFL players are mostly broke after 3 years of retirement .
            Baseball has the best program b/c they are vested after 10 years of service.
            I know several of them who just play golf now .
            For ex., Dundee worked so many years with Ali, noticing a young, superior athlete getting brain damaged (Ali's doc Ferdie Pacheco left the camp several years earlier because he didn't like what he saw.)
            Duva was very well aware of that Meldrick Taylor's brain was stopped functioning.

Yet, Dundee nor Duva never hesitated luring young, healthy kids into boxing in the belief it wouldn't harm them.
            They might have been great boxing trainers, but for being decent human beings, you could have second thoughts about Dundee and Duva.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
              For ex., Dundee worked so many years with Ali, noticing a young, superior athlete getting brain damaged (Ali's doc Ferdie Pacheco left the camp several years earlier because he didn't like what he saw.)
              Duva was very well aware of that Meldrick Taylor's brain was stopped functioning.

Yet, Dundee nor Duva never hesitated luring young, healthy kids into boxing in the belief it wouldn't harm them.
              They might have been great boxing trainers, but for being decent human beings, you could have second thoughts about Dundee and Duva.
              Well, Bundini Brown was even worse than Dundee.
              He didn't want to stop the fight against Holmes.

Duva actually had a few boxers who ended up really well under him.
              Meldrick Taylor actually kept fighting AFTER Lou told him to retire. MT went somewhere else and they were happy to exploit him.

Comment

Well, Bundini Brown was even worse than Dundee.
                He didn't want to stop the fight against Holmes.

Duva actually had a few boxers who ended up really well under him.
                Meldrick Taylor actually kept fighting AFTER Lou told him to retire. MT went somewhere else and they were happy to exploit him.
                Duva also told Golota and Tua to retire as well. Nobody listens to the guy

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Duva also told Golota and Tua to retire as well. Nobody listens to the guy
                  Yup.
                  Boxers are their worst enemies .
                  Look at Pacquiao now. Roach told him to rematch with Horn then retire .
                  He did not want to hear that .

Holyfield left Lou Duva and Dino Duva and kept on fighting .
                  Same with Bobby Czyz and Alex Ramos .

Comment

Yup.
                    Boxers are their worst enemies .
                    Look at Pacquiao now. Roach told him to rematch with Horn then retire .
                    He did not want to hear that .

Holyfield left Lou Duva and Dino Duva and kept on fighting .
                    Same with Bobby Czyz and Alex Ramos .
                    So does that mean Pacquiao is going to keep fighting after he rematches Horn?

Comment

Boxers are their worst enemies.
                      Perhaps most of us are.
                      Don’t we all surrender to temptations, whether it’s unhealthy food, maybe smoking and drinking or whatever.

Frankly, if I loved to fight, I guess I would stick to it even if my health was at severe danger, because it’s the thing that gives my life meaning.

Read about this doctor who treats cancer patients. He said he and his wife (in the same occupation) visit the Canary Islands a couple of times every year to sunbathe – though they are very aware of the risk they take, as they both are fair-skinned.

He also told it isn’t unusual that after he has done lung surgery on a smoker, the patient when waking up, wants to be transported to the smoking room.

He makes no moral values or condemn anyone. He only notes, that’s how we humans function.

Comment

Working...
                      X