Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pernell Whitaker changing angles and boxing in a circle.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pernell Whitaker changing angles and boxing in a circle.

Pernell Whitaker was a master of making his man turn to him. Great to watch.

If your into short boxing film studies, subscribe to my youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwE...HColXB7sjnoggQ

Originally posted by salem-no1 View Post

Pernell Whitaker was a master of making his man turn to him. Great to watch.

If your into short boxing film studies, subscribe to my youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwE...HColXB7sjnoggQ
    This is a lost art in boxing, its funny how people misinterpret old greats boxing skills. Fighters nowadays like Lara, use ring post to ring post lateral movement and think they are boxing like sweet pea and Mexican fighters think walking forward is mimicking Chavez. Anyways, Ive always said the way you beat GGG is fighting like sweet pea, thats how Whittaker beat Chavez (in most viewers eyes) but the only person I know that could fight like Sweet Pea is Ward and thats why GGG didnt want none. I always tell my boys that you are supposed to box in circles whether inside or out, the ropes are just there for looks, ring generalship is knowing where you are in the ring and using it to your advantage.

Comment

I can see why it was so frustrating to fight Pernell.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
        This is a lost art in boxing, its funny how people misinterpret old greats boxing skills. Fighters nowadays like Lara, use ring post to ring post lateral movement and think they are boxing like sweet pea and Mexican fighters think walking forward is mimicking Chavez. Anyways, Ive always said the way you beat GGG is fighting like sweet pea, thats how Whittaker beat Chavez (in most viewers eyes) but the only person I know that could fight like Sweet Pea is Ward and thats why GGG didnt want none. I always tell my boys that you are supposed to box in circles whether inside or out, the ropes are just there for looks, ring generalship is knowing where you are in the ring and using it to your advantage.
        Thanks for the comment bro, yea I think ring generalship is often misunderstood by the casual fan. If your on the back foot, turning a guy, walking them onto shots, then u are the ring general. People often get credit for coming forward, even when they are walking onto shots.
        Last edited by salem-no1; 05-26-2016, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          I can see why it was so frustrating to fight Pernell.
          especially if you followed him around the ring!

Comment

Love it. As a southpaw its frustrating when you are trying to talk about angles and you might as well be speaking Dutch.

Comment

Originally posted by GTTofAK View Post
              Love it. As a southpaw its frustrating when you are trying to talk about angles and you might as well be speaking Dutch.
              thanks bro, glad u like it.

Comment

Working...
              X