Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

George Groves vs. Jamie Cox is a hell of a fight!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Groves vs. Jamie Cox is a hell of a fight!

Originally posted by Boxing News
    WBA world super-middleweight champion George Groves (26-3, 19 KOs) is hungrier than ever and wants to cross off more achievements on his bucket list. First, he has to get pass ‘ballsy’ Jamie Cox (24-0,13 KOs) in a Muhammad Ali Trophy quarter-final clash October 14 at the SSE Arena Wembley in London.

This is Cox’s first big fight – whereas you’ve been there for some time – how important is your experience going to be – and do you think Cox can handle the pressure?
    “Experience is very important. You don’t understand it until you got it and even when you got it it’s still difficult to understand. I’m sure it will play a part. Cox has boxed at a high level as an amateur but he’s yet to do it as a pro. Let’s see if he can cope. I’m sure he will be well rehearsed in the build up and well drilled in the gym but putting it together under the spotlight on the biggest stage is always the most difficult task. I’ve been there and done it before, but let’s see if he can.”

Cox talks a good game and appears confident – he says you’ve been over indulging – have you still got the hunger?

“I’ve still got the hunger. I’ve still nowhere near achieved what I set out to achieve as a little kid. I haven’t won enough belts, I haven’t won enough fights, I haven’t made enough money, and until all those and a few other things are crossed off the bucket list, I’m more hungry than ever. I finally know what it feels like to be a world champion and I don’t plan on surrendering that anytime soon. Now I would like the feeling of winning the Muhammad Ali Trophy.”

How has your training been going?

My training has been going really well. We’ve had plenty of time so we’ve been able to structure a long camp. Everything is on track.

You’ve been improving with every fight since teaming up with Shane McGuigan. Do you expect this to continue? Is there still room for improvement?

“100% I think I’m becoming a better and better fighter. Obviously with the physical experience of training and being in big fights you’re going to improve, but also with Shane’s guidance, I feel that I’ve improved as a fighter. I’m adding more and more to my game. I’m more and more comfortable in various situations. I’ve always been comfortable against southpaws. Cox is the first southpaw I’ve been working towards with Shane McGuigan but we’re on course and we know what we need to do.“

You’ve said you’ve known Jamie a little bit, you roomed together as amateurs, from what you know about him, what do you think his mind set will be going into this fight?

“He’s a competent chap. When I knew him he had a lot of desire. Although his professional record doesn’t suggest any desire because he’s been a pro longer than me and he still hasn’t been in a real fight. He’s had breaks, he’s had injuries, he’s had personal issues. I’m sure now he decided this is his last crack at the whip as a professional boxer he’s going to try to knuckle down and prepare to the best of his abilities. I’m preparing for the best Jamie Cox. He’s fit, he’s strong, he’s aggressive, he’s ballsy, but they are all things I possess as well so I’m sure it will make for a great fight. I certainly feel I have the measure of him and I have a few advantages, which I’m going to reveal on the night.”

Does fighting in London, your hometown, at The SSE Arena Wembley, where you have enjoyed some good nights before, give you an advantage?

It’s lovely for me to fight at Wembley. Wembley is good for me because it is so close to home. I can do every moment of preparation in my own surroundings. I’ll be at my own gym, I can sleep at home in my own bed the night before the fight. All these things will be an added benefit come fight night because for me personally, this is how I do best.
    Originally posted by World Boxing News
    WBA Super World Super Middleweight champion George Groves (26-3, 19 KOs) and Jamie Cox (24-0,13 KOs) are ready for their explosive Muhammad Ali Trophy quarter-final clash on October 14 at The SSE Arena, Wembley in London and tickets are now on sale ranging from £35 to £130.

“Not only did he chose the most dangerous opponent for him in terms of styles, but also the fighter most likely to end his career,” said Cox.’’The question is: Where does he go after I beat him?”
    Top seed Groves picked Cox at the World Boxing Super Series Draft Gala in Monaco in July calling his choice a ‘strategic move’:
    “It’s a long tournament so I picked the easy guy first,” said 29-year old 'Saint George’.

Groves, from Hammersmith, London, who is known for his two epic battles with countryman Carl Froch, finally claimed World honours on his fourth attempt, showcasing his incredible will, determination and perseverance in defeating Fedor Chudinov to become WBA World Super Champion in Sheffield in May.

Cox, on the other hand, is yet to claim a major title as a professional, but is already known for his talent and potential, which is still waiting to be redeemed.
    “I am looking forward to showing people what I am about and showcasing myself and the dedication I have to the game,” said Cox, who believes he is in a better position than Groves.

“Me and Groves live completely different lives. Groves is a celebrity - he has earned a fortune, achieved his goal at the fourth time of asking and his body shows that he has been over-indulging on the luxuries. I am an athlete; I live modestly and am hungry for success. I look sharp because of the lifestyle I live.”

However, Groves insists he is as hungry as ever: “I feel that Cox, like most people who fight me, is trying to look for comfort by looking for weaknesses in me. They are forever focusing on me. By the sounds of it, Cox is hoping that I’ve been over indulging and that I’m not taking a World title fight seriously, but I am afraid for his sake that I am.”
    Originally posted by Sky Sports
    Jamie Cox will be the "worst nightmare" for George Groves in the World Boxing Super Series, says former trainer Paddy Fitzpatrick.

The super-middleweight rivals will meet in the quarter-final of the new tournament after no 1 seed Groves picked the unbeaten southpaw as his next opponent, referring to him as the "easy guy" on stage during the draw in Monaco on Saturday night.

But Fitzpatrick, who has trained both men in the past, has suggested that Groves might have made a mistake by choosing to put his WBA 'super' belt at stake against Cox.

"It is an excellent fight," Fitzpatrick told the Swindon Advertiser.

"Jamie is the most dangerous super-middleweight out there. He is George's worst nightmare.

"Jamie is fearless, he can dish it out and he can take it. He is a good combination puncher, he loves to fight, but he is very good boxer as well and he has the power.

"When Jamie came to me, he was a light-welterweight, but you could see then that he has the ability to become a world champion."

Groves famously used a Rubik's Cube during a pre-fight press conference before his Wembley rematch with Carl Froch and Fitzpatrick admits his former charge has already started the psychological warfare.

"George loves to play mind games. From the moment he picked Jamie, that little quip is just to try and get under Jamie's skin," he said.

"Everything George says and does will be planned, to get Jamie wound up. How Jamie deals with that will be very interesting.

"I'm not surprised that George picked Jamie, he loves the challenge and to step up and have a fight but Jamie will be relishing it, because this is his chance. Jamie can be Swindon's first world champion.

"I can't wait for it. It is an excellent fight in an excellent tournament."
    Can't wait for this one!

Groves will knock him out, Cox doesn't have the experience at this level. Looking forward to it as it will be a cracking fight for as long as it lasts

Comment

Jamie Cox was ****ting his pants during that press conference, it was comical to tell you the truth ; as they stared each other down I thought Groves was going to suddenly leap up in the air and cry out loud something like ' COBRA!!! ' I can only laugh thinking what Cox's reaction would be, based off the fear I seen in his eyes I reckon he might of hid under the table.

Another mismatch brought to you by Eddie Hearn -- are you guys forced to PPV this event? and wow look at the undercard....John Rider vs. Patrick Nielsen ? WTF is this?!

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
        as they stared each other down I thought Groves was going to suddenly leap up in the air and cry out loud something like ' COBRA!!! ' I can only laugh thinking what Cox's reaction would be
        Lmao! Funniest thing you've ever said. And you never say anything funny.

Comment

Working...
        X