No announcement yet.

Most protected fighter in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBoxingXpert View Post
    Who do you consider to be the most protected fighter in boxing?

To me, it got to be Saul Alvarez. The things he is allowed to get away with are extremely lame. Making his own weight class? Fighting smaller opponents? The judges not only giving him the lead against Khan, but also wins against Lara and Trout and a draw against Mayweather? The constant excuses for not fighting Golovkin while getting away with it?

Another candidate would have to be Stevenson. The guy just refuses to fight anyone dangerous.
    I think it is a tie between Golovkin and Wilder. Being protected means that you don't fight quality competition. Alvarez has fought quality competition, but has received several gift decisions. Between Wilder and Golovkin, they have exactly one quality opponent (Bermane Stiverne) on their records.

When you have over 30 fights and have either one or zero quality opponents on your record who will actually test you, you are protected. Chavez Jr. was protected until the Martinez fight. Ricky Hatton was protected until the Mayweather fight. Lucian Bute was protected until the Froch fight. When the protection ended, all were exposed as mediocre fighters. The same will happen to Goiovkin and Wilder.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
      I think it is a tie between Golovkin and Wilder. Being protected means that you don't fight quality competition. Alvarez has fought quality competition, but has received several gift decisions. Between Wilder and Golovkin, they have exactly one quality opponent (Bermane Stiverne) on their records.

When you have over 30 fights and have either one or zero quality opponents on your record who will actually test you, you are protected. Chavez Jr. was protected until the Martinez fight. Ricky Hatton was protected until the Mayweather fight. Lucian Bute was protected until the Froch fight. When the protection ended, all were exposed as mediocre fighters. The same will happen to Goiovkin and Wilder.
      Who is Ggg protected from, and what makes Stiverne a quality opponent? He's no better than any number of Ggg opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        Who is Ggg protected from, and what makes Stiverne a quality opponent? He's no better than any number of Ggg opponents.
        It's laughable...ggg fights bums, but stiverne is somehow a great win.

Comment

I only partly agree with you here. Yes, it's not Golovkin's fault that the guys at his own size won't fight him, but if he really is so special (which I think he is) then he should be able to move up in weight and pursue greatness there. Can't blame him for wanting to unify first, though, I would have done the same. If he beats Saunders, I will consider it his first true quality win. Saunders is undefeated and defeated 4 undefeated fighters in a row, including Eubank, and then defeated Andy Lee while knocking him down twice. If Golovkin unifies and then moves up, then he can't be blamed for anything. But if he doesn't move up after unifying, then his unification won't make up for his lacking resume.
          Unification is an excuse for not moving up in weight to fight better quality competition. It is an excuse to continue to fight weak completion while s till collecting a paycheck from HBO. Golovkin could have moved up ot 168 and fought Andre Ward and still come back down and unify the titles instead of fighting Willie Munroe Jr. and Dominic Wade. Instead, he chose to fight these C-level opponents under the guise of unifying the division.

Roy Jones moved up to heavyweight and beat John Ruiz. He then moved back down to light-heavyweight to fight the best opponents at that weight. Golovkin could do the same thing.
          Last edited by big_james10; 06-16-2016, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Who do you consider to be the most protected fighter in boxing?

To me, it got to be Saul Alvarez. The things he is allowed to get away with are extremely lame. Making his own weight class? Fighting smaller opponents? The judges not only giving him the lead against Khan, but also wins against Lara and Trout and a draw against Mayweather? The constant excuses for not fighting Golovkin while getting away with it?

Another candidate would have to be Stevenson. The guy just refuses to fight anyone dangerous.
            At this point, you're just straight up hating and/or trolling.

The correct answer is Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              Stiverne was a world champion when he fought Wilder. That immediately classifies him a a quality opponent, even in the midst of this era of 18 world championship belts per division..

In terms of Golovkin, when his team refuses to put him in the ring with a high quality opponent, he is protected. You can say all day that no one in my division is willing to fight me. If that is the case, you should move up a division to find quality competition instead of fighting C-level opponents in your own division.

Comment

Stiverne was a world champion when he fought Wilder. That immediately classifies him a a quality opponent, even in the midst of this era of 18 world championship belts per division..

In terms of Golovkin, when his team refuses to put him in the ring with a high quality opponent, he is protected. You can say all day that no one in my division is willing to fight me. If that is the case, you should move up a division to find quality competition instead of fighting C-level opponents in your own division.
                So was Lemiuex

Comment

haha Wilder, IMO. Brook and Alvarez are up there too. Alvarez a very close second.

Comment

Lemieux was a world champ. Geale was a unified champ. As I said, similar level of win

So no names, guys from a division up? Then everyone in boxing is protected, except Hws who may still be protected in other ways

Comment

You guys are getting lost. It's not about opponents or resume. It's about protecting the investment at this time not the past.
                      Again
                      I'll say wilder
                      GGG
                      Brook and
                      Can'tNelo

Comment

Working...
                      X