No announcement yet.

Chris Arreola: "Mayweather beats a Prime Julio Cesar Chavez"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
    Can't sign off on that without great hesitation. If he's thinking in terms of the success that Whitaker and Taylor had against Chavez and he's associating Floyd with those two I think he has a bad equation. I also think he's overlooking the success Castillo had against Mayweather punching his way in which is the correct way to fight him. Few did that better than Julio Cesar Chavez.

Exactly, Chavez did EVERYTHING better than Jose Luis Castillo at 135.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      and throw in the fact that chavez was past prime in both the taylor and def the pernell fight..
      Chavez was a beast at 130-135, but just a really good fighter by 1989 at 140

the chavez that fought taylor and pernell would lose a clear UD to floyd IMO
      Somewhat disagree with red portion but agree with everything else. Possibly Whitaker but don't agree on Taylor. That Chavez was still moving fast enough to maybe get the job done against Floyd. Just don't think Chavez is a good style matchup for Floyd at all.

Comment

Somewhat disagree with red portion but agree with everything else. Possibly Whitaker but don't agree on Taylor. That Chavez was still moving fast enough to maybe get the job done against Floyd. Just don't think Chavez is a good style matchup for Floyd at all.
        yeah but taylor was able to hit him at will, and made the mistake of staying in range too long and getting tagged..
        I think floyd would be able to land but wouldnt stand there for the return fire

Comment

People forget that the Castillo fight was 12 years ago. You have to go back over a decade to find a fight were you can argue Floyd actually lost and it seems people forget Castillo lost the rematch. The Castillo fight was Floyd's first fight at 135 and he was up against the champ in that division and it was still competitive.

People are also forgetting that Floyd has improved as a boxer since then. If Pernell was too much for Chavez Floyd will definitely be too much. Chavez himself called Floyd the best boxer he's ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            yeah but taylor was able to hit him at will, and made the mistake of staying in range too long and getting tagged..
            I think floyd would be able to land but wouldnt stand there for the return fire
            Floyd is too much of set-reset type of fighter for that equation. This is exactly my point. Taylor could let off combinations from anywhere at any position at any angle. Same goes with Whitaker. Floyd compartmentalizes offense and defense in a completely different way. He needs comfort and room to work and prefers not to fight in transition. You're straight up comparing Taylor and Mayweather. That's like comparing off-road racing and racing on a track.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
              People forget that the Castillo fight was 12 years ago. You have to go back over a decade to find a fight were you can argue Floyd actually lost and it seems people forget Castillo lost the rematch. The Castillo fight was Floyd's first fight at 135 and he was up against the champ in that division and it was still competitive.

People are also forgetting that Floyd has improved as a boxer since then. If Pernell was too much for Chavez Floyd will definitely be too much. Chavez himself called Floyd the best boxer he's ever seen.
              people also seem to forget that the rematch wasn't a wipeout, close fight that may weather won (7-5, or 8-4 type fight).

and may isn't in his prime anymore, theres a reason why only picks slower fighters right now.

Comment

It's 60-40 Floyd. His ability to aadjust would allow him to rack up points and Chavez isn't going to KO him whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by ramses07 View Post
                  people also seem to forget that the rematch wasn't a wipeout, close fight that may weather won (7-5, or 8-4 type fight).

and may isn't in his prime anymore, theres a reason why only picks slower fighters right now.
                  No way it was 7-5, but it was 9-3 or 8-4. It was not the wipeout 11 or 12 round domination people like to say it was. It followed the same pattern as the first fight until the championship rounds; Floyd won the early rounds, Castillo took the middle, and the difference was Floyd took the championship rounds in the rematch.

Comment

Floyd is too much of set-reset type of fighter for that equation. This is exactly my point. Taylor could let off combinations from anywhere at any position at any angle. Same goes with Whitaker. Floyd compartmentalizes offense and defense in a completely different way. He needs comfort and room to work and prefers not to fight in transition. You're straight up comparing Taylor and Mayweather. That's like comparing off-road racing and racing on a track.
                    i get what your saying, but floyd at 140 or under was a much different fighter than the one we see today that "resets"

I honestly have no doubt in my mind that floyd that fought gatti or corley would beat chavez of 90....

Now if its chavez at 130 135 then its a different story

Comment

I really doubt Floyd would have that much trouble with Chavez. Floyd def is not the same fighter he was at 135. His style def changed since then because he is not as aggressive. Now he tends to let his opponents do most of the work for him so he can counter off what they do and at the same time pick them apart in spots. This fight imo would be a 8-4 in Floyd's favor probably 9-3. Chavez is NOT going to knock Mayweather out and that only spells trouble for him.
                      Last edited by Zano-24; 03-28-2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X