The Myth of Pound for Pound

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Myth of Pound for Pound

Define the term Pound for Pound.

It seems as though this term gets thrown around alot latly for every fighter.

This is NOT aimed at any fighter in particular, but surely someone who fights in the same weight class all the time is NOT a pound for pound fighter.

So... define the term for me please folks. School me on the subject if you can and I shall tell you what I think.

When you scared the **** out of one of the best fighter....you're consider p4p #1.

Comment

I always assumed P4P meant how fighters would fare against other fighters irrespective of weight class. So it is all based around resume and skills & traits shown inside the ring against other (top class) opponents, so it doesn't matter if you stay in one weight class or not. As long as you're fighting at the top level and show you are a top fighter then you can be considered a P4P type fighter.

But that's just my understanding of it, I guess everyone has different criteria for P4P and it doesn't matter that much since it is all opinion anyway! As long as it's justified then it's all good!

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealTruth321 View Post
        Define the term Pound for Pound.

It seems as though this term gets thrown around alot latly for every fighter.

This is NOT aimed at any fighter in particular, but surely someone who fights in the same weight class all the time is NOT a pound for pound fighter.

So... define the term for me please folks. School me on the subject if you can and I shall tell you what I think.
        It is a concept that is defined as "If all fighters were the same size, who would be the best?".

So yes, a fighter that only fights in one weight class can still be considered pound for pound.

/Thread.
        Last edited by deliveryman; 06-06-2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdoodledoo View Post
          I always assumed P4P meant how fighters would fare against other fighters irrespective of weight class. So it is all based around resume and skills & traits shown inside the ring against other (top class) opponents, so it doesn't matter if you stay in one weight class or not. As long as you're fighting at the top level and show you are a top fighter then you can be considered a P4P type fighter.

But that's just my understanding of it, I guess everyone has different criteria for P4P and it doesn't matter that much since it is all opinion anyway! As long as it's justified then it's all good!
          Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
          It is a concept that is defined as "If all fighters were the same size, who would be the best?".

So yes, a fighter that only fights in one weight class can still be considered pound for pound.

/Thread.

Great replies... thanks Gents.

Delete this **** Thread MODS lol

Comment

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post

/Thread.
            Not only that but you have to do a little bit of imaginary scaling up or down and try to guess what lets say Wlad's power and speed would be if he was a WW fighting Pac and also how tall he should be for the weight class.....its a cute little concept but its a bit of a joke how seriously its taken because it is after all just imaginary.

Comment

Can I just clarify that "pound-for-pound" ratings are not actually mythical. They exist. They're theoretical, speculative, hypothetical . . . but they do exist.

Comment

Originally posted by S.G. View Post
                Can I just clarify that "pound-for-pound" ratings are not actually mythical. They exist. They're theoretical, speculative, hypothetical . . . but they do exist.

they come from Asgard...like Thor

Comment

it's a more credible title than mr vacation that's for sure

Comment

Working...
                  X