No announcement yet.

Fighters that never had a close fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T3dBundy View Post
    instead of arguing with me go watch the first fight, listen to joe louis's commentary, the reaction of the crowd everytime clay makes liston miss a punch by an inch etc. and u might realize the fight is actually legit. liston took quite a beating in that fight and was extremely frustrated because clay was just too slick that day. the second fight the ref just ****ed it up, today ali would get disqualified for standing over liston instead of going to the neutral corner. he also listened to nat fleischer who said liston was already down for 20 seconds, i just think liston waited till the ref starts counting. it was a stupid stoppage imo.. the second fight took a lot away from the brilliancy of the first fight, the first fight is my favorit boxing match ever, ali's footwork was incredible.
    If he followed the rules in the second fight one of the most iconic sports photos would never have happened.

Comment

instead of arguing with me go watch the first fight, listen to joe louis's commentary, the reaction of the crowd everytime clay makes liston miss a punch by an inch etc. and u might realize the fight is actually legit. liston took quite a beating in that fight and was extremely frustrated because clay was just too slick that day. the second fight the ref just ****ed it up, today ali would get disqualified for standing over liston instead of going to the neutral corner. he also listened to nat fleischer who said liston was already down for 20 seconds, i just think liston waited till the ref starts counting. it was a stupid stoppage imo.. the second fight took a lot away from the brilliancy of the first fight, the first fight is my favorit boxing match ever, ali's footwork was incredible.
      I watched it. You're not talking to a casual. I also read several books and developed an informed opinion. Not one based upon emotion or being swept off my feet by a fixed fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
        I watched it. You're not talking to a casual. I also read several books and developed an informed opinion. Not one based upon emotion or being swept off my feet by a fixed fight.
        i rather listen to joe louis who said he is happy clay wasn't around in his time right after the fight. u could see he was impressed by ali's performance, that's all i need.

Comment

No one. It only happens for a while in a career. Even Mayweather had a few close fights.

At their careers' beginnings fighters destined to be world class pugs often begin with an awesome streak. Anymore, every record is carefully crafted for any fighter with chances and minimal management. Quite a number of boxers are undefeated and have never (obviously) faced any of the other undefeateds in their divisions. But back in the days when records were less crafted for the young pro, one as crude as Gene Fullmer began his career looking like a big puncher if you went straight by the record book, because he KO'd his first fifteen or sixteen opponents. Actually, Gene was not a huge puncher but a world class mauler with stamina and chin.

For a while certain phenoms look invincible as they roll over the opposition like cardboard cutouts. That always happens and is part of what will always make speculation exciting. Any fan who lived through Mike Tyson's ascent, watching his fights on television remembers how impressed and excited they were.

One amazing feature of this in boxing is that a cute boxer can make the huge money you might guess would be reserved for those who really are deadly punchers in the ring. Amazingly, the record indicates that in fact a dandy boxer the public semi despises has the potential to out-earn the biggest punchers.

Well. If this, if that. If'n I'da. But anyway, a RJJ who retired right after Ruiz, never to don gloves again in a pro match, would have had an awfully loud claim to the title of this thread.
          Last edited by The Old LefHook; 12-21-2017, 09:04 PM.

Comment

i rather listen to joe louis who said he is happy clay wasn't around in his time right after the fight. u could see he was impressed by ali's performance, that's all i need.
            Louis was already suffering from early dementia, but ok, listen to him.

Comment

Louis was already suffering from early dementia, but ok, listen to him.
              what r u suffering from? joe louis with dementia is 1000000x more credible than a newf*g in an internet forum hehe. u shouldn't try to change history and stop living in denial.

Comment

what r u suffering from? joe louis with dementia is 1000000x more credible than a newf*g in an internet forum hehe. u shouldn't try to change history and stop living in denial.
                So Louis is the end all be all to this fight? He was paid to sit there and say nice things. At that stage of his life he needed every break he could get. Louis also said--prior to his dementia setting in--that he would have beaten Ali. Now what?

You're the one who is either afraid to read some books on boxing for fear of the truth, or you're just unable to. You get all your boxing knowledge from youtube and the internet. Don't be mad because your hero got some breaks early on and later in his career and wasn't The Greatest that he touted himself to be.

Comment

So Louis is the end all be all to this fight? He was paid to sit there and say nice things. At that stage of his life he needed every break he could get. Louis also said--prior to his dementia setting in--that he would have beaten Ali. Now what?

You're the one who is either afraid to read some books on boxing for fear of the truth, or you're just unable to. You get all your boxing knowledge from youtube and the internet. Don't be mad because your hero got some breaks early on and later in his career and wasn't The Greatest that he touted himself to be.
                  u know people write books to make money too, who buys a book that just tells ppl what actually happened? everyone loves conspiracy. i choose to believe my own eyes, u instead believe in hearsay and sound like a classical hater. joe louis didn't need to say that this was the biggest upset in history of boxing, or that the first round was one of the best rounds in a hw title fight in a long time. he said it because he meant it, but u can believe what ever u want, while i like to watch the fight and see with my own eyes how liston got schooled by a 22years old. i also saw u ranked ali at #7 in the best heavyweights of all time thread, that alone shows u have no clue what u r talking about, and u simply don't like him. liston just didn't know what to do against a hw that moves like a mw, ali's unorthodox style is the reason for his greatness in the 60s. his style was unique and the competition at the time didn't know how to deal with it.
                  Last edited by Schmerzen; 12-22-2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
                    Mike Tyson
                    Quick Tillis nearly beat him in the mid-80's. 6-4 on two scorecards, and Tillis was controlling a round until he got knocked down. Tyson deserved the W but it was extremely close.

Comment

Juan Manuel Marquez and Tim Bradley - they were robbed in every single defeat each of them ever had.

Comment

Working...
                      X