Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good do you have to be before the gym approach you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good do you have to be before the gym approach you?

There is a difference between a boxer and someone who is good in sparring and excels in boxing training in general. These people who are so good training wise, why haven't they fought?

Also, I am 18 (19 in a couple of months) and weigh around 9 stone. I have abs and arms aren't too bad. Is this holding me back and do I need to bulk to help me along in boxing?

Thank you in advance.

No one is going to approach you. You have to put in the work and put yourself out there. Forget about your weight, height, etc. Forget about what other people are doing. Once you're training regularly, start taking amateur fights, then you might be able to get pro fights if your coach thinks you're ready.
    If you're training enough, your body will get in shape.

Some people train to stay healthy and/or have a hobby. Not everyone's goal is to go pro. In fact, very few people who train in a boxing gym these days plan to be a pro boxer.

Comment

Yeah, I've started to eat more. I have trained since last September and eat completely clean, cutting out alcohol completely. I do it for a hobby and to help improve boxing wise.

I have a six pack so obviously I train quite a bit, arms aren't bad but look big when I tense. I train 3 times a week at home, run in the freezing cold some mornings, 10 rounds of sprints on the treadmill most days, skipping, weights, general bodyweight exercises, boxing drills etc outside of general gym sessions.

I train a fair bit but I can see people older and better than me.

Comment

Originally posted by DugzBoxing View Post
        Yeah, I've started to eat more. I have trained since last September and eat completely clean, cutting out alcohol completely. I do it for a hobby and to help improve boxing wise.

I have a six pack so obviously I train quite a bit, arms aren't bad but look big when I tense. I train 3 times a week at home, run in the freezing cold some mornings, 10 rounds of sprints on the treadmill most days, skipping, weights, general bodyweight exercises, boxing drills etc outside of general gym sessions.

I train a fair bit but I can see people older and better than me.
        Sounds like you're doing a lot of good stuff. Keep at it. Now, it's just a matter of putting in the work and getting experience. Don't worry about physical appearance at all as that won't really matter. If you're training your body will get to where it needs to be.
        If you're not sparring, find people you can do light sparring with. Light sparring is the most educational thing you can do in your training. And, it's the springboard to bigger things. You can be a beast on the heavy bag but applying it in sparring on a moving target that hits back is a whole other world. That's where people get good.

Comment

There is a difference between a boxer and someone who is good in sparring and excels in boxing training in general. These people who are so good training wise, why haven't they fought?

Also, I am 18 (19 in a couple of months) and weigh around 9 stone. I have abs and arms aren't too bad. Is this holding me back and do I need to bulk to help me along in boxing?

Thank you in advance.
          Make yourself big. Make a name for yourself.

Guess what, it’s hard work, get into many exciting boxing matches, spar loads, create a social media presence.

Comment

Because the latter can't handle or want the pressure of a full training camp/fight night.

Comment

Biceps and abs won't help in boxing train you're brain above all else instincts and reflexes are far more beneficial then good looking arms or abs trust me bro.

Comment

Yeah I know, but it is evidence of training and eating properly.

Comment

You may want to start at the lowest weight you’re comfortable with. Don’t worry about bulking it’s really not gonne help you punch harder. Building lean muscle is always good. Work on your skills.
                  How tall are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
                    You may want to start at the lowest weight you’re comfortable with. Don’t worry about bulking it’s really not gonne help you punch harder. Building lean muscle is always good. Work on your skills.
                    How tall are you?
                    Yeah, I will focus on technique. I am 5 ft 9. When eat a little more I gain a bit of body fat so right now I am 9 st 4 lbs.

Comment

Working...
                    X