No announcement yet.

Amir Khan proposes a UK MMA league

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amir Khan proposes a UK MMA league

Boxer Amir Khan is planning to launch a team-based mixed martial arts league in Britain in 2017.

The Super Fight League will see eight teams from different parts of Britain competing in a league format.

"MMA is big and getting bigger," Khan, a financial stakeholder in Indian MMA promotion Super Fight League, told BBC World Service.

source: http://bbc.com/sport/boxing/38401445
    Last edited by sayf; 12-22-2016, 11:53 AM.

I'd take anything he says VERY seriously.

He says he can kick really hard, after all.

Comment

Lol, bless him I'd fear for his life in MMA. I like the guy, as long as he's just setting it up and promoting then good luck to him. if he's planning on fighting I'd advise against it

Comment

Say what you want about Khan but the dude should be a role model for those in the sport wanting to invest their earnings in an expansive portfolio of various businesses. Unless his wife take all his money like a money grubbing skank this dude should be WELL comfortable after his next KO ends his career.

Comment

Originally posted by AliBombaye View Post
          Say what you want about Khan but the dude should be a role model for those in the sport wanting to invest their earnings in an expansive portfolio of various businesses. Unless his wife take all his money like a money grubbing skank this dude should be WELL comfortable after his next KO ends his career.
          Gotta agree with you there. I think that's why he's going for the Brook fight, he knows that's probably his last opportunity for a huge payday, plus all the business ventures he's into. You have to respect a man who thinks ahead and doesn't let all the emotional stuff get him down.

I really hope he gets his family stuff sorted and teaches them to fix things in private and not on Facebook. Regardless of how weak his chin is Khan was good for the sport when he was at the top of his game and will hopefully continue to be good for it when he eventually retires.

Comment

They had a team MMA league in the US, but it didn't do well & eventually went outta business so idk about this idea. Although maybe they are more into the team format in an individual sport in the UK, but I'd bet against this working.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              They had a team MMA league in the US, but it didn't do well & eventually went outta business so idk about this idea. Although maybe they are more into the team format in an individual sport in the UK, but I'd bet against this working.
              Maybe with a name like Khan and the marketing power of Sky Sports it might make it big. It might even be worth trying to get it on prime time TV like ITV to get a bigger audience.

Comment

Originally posted by sayf View Post
                Maybe with a name like Khan and the marketing power of Sky Sports it might make it big. It might even be worth trying to get it on prime time TV like ITV to get a bigger audience.
                Idk about Khan's name being involved, but **** maybe. It always seemed to me that he thought he was more popular in the UK than he actually is...I mean lately anyway...I think after the Olympics he might've had a more solid rep than he does these days.

As for the rest of what you're saying you could be right. Could be a better time for it than when the US MMA team league was in play too.

Comment

Why do people think khan is going to take part? Lol l u swear some of you don't know how to read.

Anyway cage fighting /mma is. A decent ticket seller in the UK but lacks TV backing so this could work out really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Idk about Khan's name being involved, but **** maybe. It always seemed to me that he thought he was more popular in the UK than he actually is...I mean lately anyway...I think after the Olympics he might've had a more solid rep than he does these days.

As for the rest of what you're saying you could be right. Could be a better time for it than when the US MMA team league was in play too.
                    I think most people overestimate their popularity, but he's definitely a household name. Team fighting is always difficult to get behind because it's hard to find a stand out star to promote the sport like Paq/Mayweather or Connor Mcgreggor

Comment

Working...
                    X