Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Martinez ranked above Ward p4p?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe Ward is beneath Martinez, because he couldn't close the deal against Allan Green (as both Johnson and Kessler could) and because he had big trouble getting the "W" against Bika. Wards greatest victory was against Kessler and although Kessler got clearly beaten, he lost not only because Ward is better, but also 'cuz Kessler was harassed in Cali and because he clearly underestimated Ward, thus he hadn't planned for the adversity that met him. Also have in mind, that Kessler couldn't see due to cuts and eyeproblems. It's not an excuse ('cuz Kessler would probably have lost anyway), but a victory against a blinded boxer is not that impressive.

I think Ward needs to beat another proven top boxer (e.g. Dawson), before he can be considered p-4-p top 5!

Comment

personally i'd place ward higher on the p4p list than martinez

i've also bumped pacquiao down, and marquez up, because i thought manny lost that fight

want to know why martinez is so damn high?

boom

Comment

Ward's a better fighter and you can make a case for him being higher but not at the expense of downplaying Martinez' accomplishments. He's stopped two pound for pounders--how many fighters have done that?

Comment

martinez is highly overrated for whatever reason. seriously!!! who has he beat?! pavlik? macklin?! wow! he got bounced around the ring against margarito.

im not that high on ward yet, he isnt very exciting to watch, got all of his fights at home.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            Ward's a better fighter and you can make a case for him being higher but not at the expense of downplaying Martinez' accomplishments. He's stopped two pound for pounders--how many fighters have done that?

who is the other one? maybe i'm forgetting something
            it's early and i've already lost out on 1000 in business this week

kelly went 12

and he stopped cintron 100% but he was no p4p at the time
            what a joke that was. if you complain long enough, man, they'll let you finish the fight after you get stopped

Comment

Originally posted by FirePunch View Post
              martinez is jumping up weight classes knocking bigger guys out .

What is ward doing ? Getting decisions against plodders his own size
              How many weight classes has he jumped? My goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                who is the other one? maybe i'm forgetting something
                it's early and i've already lost out on 1000 in business this week

kelly went 12

and he stopped cintron 100% but he was no p4p at the time
                what a joke that was. if you complain long enough, man, they'll let you finish the fight after you get stopped

Yeah, you're right Pavlik - went twelve. Why did I think he got stopped? Probably because he looked like a train wreck afterward. Anyway, yeah. Those aren't any small wins - two excellent wins at the time he had them.

Comment

Yeah, you're right Pavlik - went twelve. Why did I think he got stopped? Probably because he looked like a train wreck afterward. Anyway, yeah. Those aren't any small wins - two excellent wins at the time he had them.

fight could have easily been stopped late. he clearly couldnt see. and they had that joke of a cutman, too. remember that clown?

Comment

And that's the thing. Almost all fans of any given fighter tries to downplay an opposing fighters accomplishments to defend there man.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      fight could have easily been stopped late. he clearly couldnt see. and they had that joke of a cutman, too. remember that clown?
                      I think he made it worse . Pavlik's corner was a comedy show that night smh.

Comment

Working...
                      X