Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When something goes wrong around the house, who fixes it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When something goes wrong around the house, who fixes it?

Or do you call a profession. I ask cuz “handiness” or basic caprentry skills seems lost on this generation. When people come to the house to fix basic things I ain’t gonna lie I feel like a *****, but how do I learn?

Originally posted by MOMENTO MORI View Post
    Or do you call a profession. I ask cuz “handiness” or basic caprentry skills seems lost on this generation. When people come to the house to fix basic things I ain’t gonna lie I feel like a *****, but how do I learn?
    I fix it all, done tile, wood floors, bathroom demo's, just had a pita shower door hinge break. Plumbing, pretty much anything. My dad taught me a lot growing up as we didn't have money to pay people.
    That lead into my shop ECT. Once you get the basics all is cake.
    YouTube is a big help if you want to learn.

Comment

I'm pretty mediocre at being handy around the house. But YouTube has a lot of useful videos on how to do things, and the more you try your hand at some projects the better you get.

Comment

Or do you call a profession. I ask cuz “handiness” or basic carpentry skills seems lost on this generation. When people come to the house to fix basic things I ain’t gonna lie I feel like a *****, but how do I learn?
        I fix stuff. DO it all from years of real estate. YOu can't pay someone for everything or it gets crazy expensive.

Depending on where you live HOme Depot can have some former contractors that can talk you through stuff. There is also classes in some of the home depots. I never did the classes but years back I had a guy walk me through a bathroom renovation.

Comment

I learnt a lot from watching this guy.

Comment

I do most things apart from electricity related issues. Aint getting killed by messing with something you can't see.

Comment

What you starting with? Have you ever fixed anything? Ever used any tools at all... IDK bike repair as a kid. First step is having the confidence to just pick up your tools and have a go. Have you got any tools?

Comment

something straightforward you can youtube it, but if its involving remotely even death n disaster, like the boiler, I call someone (but not for obvious stuff obviously like "release this valve for 20 seconds" etc).

I appreciate tools can be an issue for those with hand problems, for instance. The older people must be a lucrative market for handymen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockybigblower View Post
                  I learnt a lot from watching this guy.

he fixed it for you when you wrre young, did he?

Comment

Originally posted by Gideon lock View Post
                    I do most things apart from electricity related issues. Aint getting killed by messing with something you can't see.
                    http://m.facebook.com/story.php?stor...26996250902274

I don't know how to link video.
                    Last edited by Rockybigblower; 01-15-2020, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X