No announcement yet.

Floyd DUCKED Winky Wright

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd DUCKED Winky Wright

I think it's hilarious that certain people (you know who) are claiming Pacquiao is ducking the lineal MW champion of the world. Just wondering what you consider this then...
    Wright-Mayweather bout is off as talks break down

It's back to the drawing board for St. Petersburg's Winky Wright as negotiations to fight 140-pound champion Floyd Mayweather fell apart Thursday morning at a meeting in Las Vegas.

"As of right now, it's no deal - they changed the money on me at the last second," said promoter Gary Shaw, who said he was close to finalizing the fight when he walked into Top Rank and Bob Arum's office Thursday.

But within seconds, he said, the deal evaporated.

"I walked in, I told him: "I believe we have a deal,' " Shaw said. "And Bob said, "so it's a deal - 55-45 (money split)'.

"I said, "Bob, that was never, ever discussed, no deal' and that was that."

The day before, Shaw said he and Arum had agreed to a 50-50 purse split as well as other requests from Mayweather's camp. He added that Wright adviser Jim Wilkes and Don King, who has an option on Wright's next fight, agreed as well.

According to Shaw, however, Arum said he did not remember that conversation. Arum was unavailable for comment.

Shaw and Arum were in Las Vegas to promote the Oct. 8 rematch between Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo. Shaw promotes Corrales; Arum promotes Castillo.

"There were requests made by Floyd Mayweather, we laid it out and I think they were fair requests," Arum told maxboxing.com. "Gary rejected them, so there's no fight. We have to sit with Floyd and we'll figure out (what we do next). Maybe (Antonio) Margarito. It's unfortunate as far as the Winky Wright fight, but it's not going to happen."

While Shaw said he agreed with just about all of the demands from the Mayweather team, principally regarding weight, he doesn't think the Detroit fighter, aformer Olympian, was behind the breakdown.

"I think it's Arum," Shaw said. "When Floyd normally calls someone out, he's serious about fighting them."

Mayweather, one of the sport's most vocal stars, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal Sunday that he was interested in fighting Wright, and Shaw wasted no time calling his bluff.

The next morning, he was in the Top Rank offices working on a deal.

"Remember, Floyd called Winky out; Winky didn't call Floyd out," Shaw said. "We were even willing to come down in weight to 154."

Because Wright, who prefers to fight at 160, could probably put on as many as 15 pounds between the weigh-in (the day before) and the fight and enter the ring as high as 165-170, Mayweather's camp requested a morning-of-the-fight weigh-in. That included a stipulation that Wright couldn't go more than eight pounds above the limit.

The undefeated Mayweather, who started his career at 130 and weighs 140 pounds, would be at a significant size disadvantage for the fight.

Wright (49-3, 25 knockouts) is still scheduled to fight Nov. 19 on HBO, provided Shaw can find a suitable opponent in the sparse middleweight field.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/22/Sp...ther_bou.shtml

Split of prize money holding up bout

Promoters Gary Shaw and Bob Arum were in Beverly Hills on Thursday afternoon to officially announce the Oct. 8 rematch between Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo.

But as that deal was finalized, a proposed Nov. 12 bout between Winky Wright and Floyd Mayweather fell apart as the two met at the Beverly Hills Hotel.

"M-O-N-E-Y," stated Shaw in spelling out the reason why this bout between two of the premier prizefighters in the world will not be taking place. "I thought we had a deal. I spoke with Don King, King was on board, Jim Wilkes was on board, Winky Wright was on board. We agreed to 154 pounds, we agreed to another morning weight because they were concerned about the weight -- Winky couldn't gain more than eight pounds above 154."

With all of Winky's representatives (including King, who holds an option on Wright after his victory over Felix Trinidad in May) in agreement, Shaw thought he would be signing contracts by the end of the week.

"When I was in Arum's office he talked about different splits," recalled Shaw, who said at that time the numbers he was told differed from the ones he had agreed to. "I started to yell, I said, 'It's gotta be 50-50.' He said, 'All right, all right. Why are you yelling? I'm just the messenger. Come back, we'll do the deal.' I walked downstairs here at the Beverly Hills Hotel, I said, 'We have a deal?' He looked at me and said, '55-45.' I said, 'No, 50-50. He said, 'There's no deal.' "

Arum confirmed that Wright-Mayweather is dead as of now.

"There were requests made by Floyd Mayweather, we laid it out and I think they were fair requests," said the veteran promoter. "Gary rejected them, so there's no fight. We have to sit with Floyd and we'll figure out [what we do next].

"Maybe [Antonio] Margarito. It's unfortunate as far as the Winky Wright fight, but it's not going to happen."

While Mayweather retains his Nov. 12 date on HBO Pay-Per-View, Wright has a date set aside for him the following week on HBO.

Did Mayweather and Arum come to the realization that in facing the much bigger Wright, that they were biting off more than even the "Pretty Boy" could chew?

"Floyd's been talking a lot of trash, saying he's going to knock Winky out; he told Kevin Iole he wants to fight," said Shaw. "He wanted the fight on Sunday. On Monday I went to Top Rank's office personally. My feeling is that Floyd never wanted the fight. He was just talking smack."

As Shaw and Arum gave their sides of the story after the Corrales-Castillo press conference, just outside the ballroom where it was held, Margarito's manager Sergio Diaz was meeting with Top Rank's VP, Todd DuBoef, about his fighter's future -- which doesn't seem to include Mayweather.

"Right now we just met with Todd and we're looking at October 1st," he explained to MaxBoxing. "The date is there, the opponent we still don't know. They've been mentioning Joshua Clottey, but Showtime doesn't know if they want to accept that opponent."

As for a bout with Mayweather?

"Mayweather has mentioned that he'd rather jump to 154 and fight Winky Wright than fight Margarito," Diaz said. "He says it's a better loss to lose against Winky Wright than it is to Antonio."

Diaz doesn't have much hope that even with the Wright fight not happening, that a bout between Margarito and Mayweather comes to fruition.

"No, not at all," he admitted. "To tell you the truth, at the beginning I was, we were hopeful it would happen. But now, it's already behind me."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2113721

SOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Looks like Money May, a 140-lber at the time, called out the MW champ for a fight at 154... with a morning of the fight weigh-in and restrictions on how much he can rehydrate to (how ironic, Roger says hello ). Then last minute priced himself out and STILL wouldn't fight Margarito.

What say you?

WAR Johnson‎!!!

Comment

Originally posted by skillswin View Post
      WAR Johnson‎!!!
      I'd love for the Road Warrior to win tonight, don't know if he will but he'll go out on his shield one way or another. Lots of upsets recently though and he's a cagey, tough veteran so you never know. Excellent night of boxing all around. I'm buzzing.

BTW, do you think the reason Floyd blatantly ducked Winky Wright after trying to drain him and putting a cap on how much he can re-hydrate to after a morning of the fight weigh-in happened because Winky wouldn't take the test?

Comment

damn lets see butt hurt *****s ignore this now

Comment

Selective reading at its finest. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Comment

For a dude you can't stand and want to go away you sure stay on his d1ck.

Comment

*Sniff* you smell that? That smell.....oh no not the BBQ Ribs I'm cooking on the grill for tonights fights, I'm talking about that other smell. It smells like desperation.

Comment

A Pac/Top Rank fan posting an article about Bob Arum changing his stance on negotiations.

You are not very bright.

Comment

This forum is starting to become ****. If Floyd isn't great, then Manny shouldn't be an underdog against him

the money is on floyd anyways

Comment

You have to very dumb.

How you make a thread about "Floyd ducked Winky".

and post an article, and bold:

"Remember, Floyd called Winky out; Winky didn't call Floyd out," Shaw said. "We were even willing to come down in weight to 154."

Comment

Working...
                    X