Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the swiss voting to end poverty: give every adult $33,600 a year...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrometheusBob View Post
    I think this makes sense. A lot of jobs that can be automated will get to be so without the need to feel bad about replacing those workers. Plus would leave people with the ability to pursue their interests more sincerely since they have the fallback option of making a living wage. If only there wasn't the caveat of how to pay for that program...
    NO. If things were getting automated, there would be no need for the Govt to tax, or print or borrow a bunch of Fiat paper money [which derives it's value from the productivity of a economy in the first place], because there would be mass deflation, and things would be cheap.

This is what a lot of these Leftist nations do. They artifically raise their income per capita rankings to look good [Ex: see Norway], but it's all NOMINAL, while in real terms the cost of living has gone up and your high income means very little as in one of our Blue States here in the U.S...where the 100k a year guy doesn't have a different standard of living than the 50k guy in a smaller Govt state.
    Last edited by One_Tycoon; 07-27-2015, 05:40 PM.

Comment

The concept is an interesting one in a post scarcity world. I don't think our level of automation is there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
        I remember reading Nixon propose a very similar idea here in America but it didn't go through.
        But Nixon gave us the "Nixon shock"...which is equally as bad if not worse. You can't do it all.

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyCage View Post
          yeah i noticed its 1 or 2 yr old...
          how about you whats your personal take on this?
          I don't know, ending poverty would be great in US, it would most certainly drop crime rate, burglary and theft, not eliminate it entirely but definitely would see a drop in crimes. It's a great idea, but why hasn't it happen is the question. What is the negative side effect.

Comment

33k is still not alot,can't live any kind of live on that here in Aus, not in a capital city, the vast majority of people will still want to work.

Lazy people are a bit of a myth imo, most of them have somekind of social or health issues often related to poverty.

Comment

Working...
            X