Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking back.. why did so many pick Donaire over Rigo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
    P.Rican here. I'm only asking for a great fight. At first thought, I picked Donaire since he's definitely more proven on the professional level, but TBH I've slowly been changing my mind. I think Rigo will make it hard for Donaire to land. It's a high possibility of it being a boring fight but it could be a dominant performance for Rigo.

If Donaire is comfortable and is able to get in close and land, it might be a short night.

50/50 fight for me. Saturday can't come soon enough!
    Yup, I called it.

Comment

Well, I can only tell you why I picked Donaire over Rigo. I gave too much value on experience. I was splitting my hair over the predictions because it's not often when the two best fighters of a division go against each other. Both those guys seemed incapable of losing, and yet someone had to (if it wasn't a draw). I just thought Nonito had better ring smarts due to being more battle tested. I just thought he would impose his will over Rigo someway or the other. But I knew Rigo was vastly more skilled than Donaire. So it was experience vs skills to me, and I chose experience. Next time if such a opportunity arises again, I shall go with skills.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
        99% was on pure PRIDE from Donaire fans, can't pick fights with your PRIDE if you do that and your a gambling man, you always lose your money

stylistically I knew it was a HORRIBLE MATCH UP for Donaire after his fight with Omar Narvaez, also felt like the worst thing that happened to Donaire's career was the KO of Montiel...because after that fans would just go on to expect KO's EVERY FIGHT and that is exactly what happened

Rigondeaux like Pernell Whitaker in his PRIME, it is a style you can't look good against no matter what you do because they are just so clever and quick and is always under control so I would just laugh when I seen Donaire fans say "Donaire will knock him out in 4, or 6 or 8 Rounds
        The one thing I was confident of was that Rigo wasn't getting KOed. (I made three bets on it.) As for Guille winning a decision, which was the likeliest way he could win (especially after seeing how great Nonito's chin is), I didn't feel so confident. I thought a robbery might be in the cards. Even after a dominant performance, where he won ten or eleven rounds, "El Chacal" was awarded a fairly close decision. Is there much doubt who the winner would've been had Donaire put in a better account of himself?

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
          Naw, man. We saw all we needed to see in the first fight. All questions were answered. Rigo's chin is up to the task; his style counters Donaire; and his skills are greater than Nonito's. "Flash" might do better on a second go, but he gets beaten in a rematch.
          rigondeaux fought the perfect fight, he lowered his output, moved, minimised the risks as much as possible

donaire has plenty of room for improvement, in a rematch simply being more aggressive can win it for him, he showed he can play margarito vs rigo's power, in a rematch worrying about landing the straight right more than the left is another, plenty of things, rigo will have to fight the same way he did the first time, he can't go to war with donaire, no matter what you think you saw in that first round or the last(really dont think donaire was "hurt" in the classic sense, just took a mean punch to the eye)
          Last edited by SplitSecond; 05-03-2013, 05:56 PM.

Comment

btw, anyone know if Hook_84 is still alive?

Comment

Originally posted by Roey Haque
              Well, I can only tell you why I picked Donaire over Rigo. I gave too much value on experience. I was splitting my hair over the predictions because it's not often when the two best fighters of a division go against each other. Both those guys seemed incapable of losing, and yet someone had to (if it wasn't a draw). I just thought Nonito had better ring smarts due to being more battle tested. I just thought he would impose his will over Rigo someway or the other. But I knew Rigo was vastly more skilled than Donaire. So it was experience vs skills to me, and I chose experience. Next time if such a opportunity arises again, I shall go with skills.
              No such thing. Experience is something you can't teach. I think people just underestimated Rigo's experience cause he was "an amateur".

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

simple really : ..he had beaten no one pre nonito....

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC
                  Im more interested about Light Speed. The guy fell off the phase of the earth.

Hook_84 aka Rachel is focusing on delivering a healthy baby now.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

because he was the more reasonable pick among the two in a 12 round boxing match. vegas oddsmakers are not dumb people.

donaire had been doing some of the best work in boxing at the time. rigondeaux hadn't. rigondeaux was largely unproven until the donaire fight. we didn't know fully what he had, and we had to guess. i guessed wrong. i didn't hink he was that good.

it was really a pretty easy pick to make. i picked donaire to win the fight via knockout. it just turned out to be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
                      hahah i was gonna bump one of his threads, id be surprised if he was, his other name he made was angelo, i know because he made the same exact stupid threads all about donaire after he got banned. this was his last post

rip
                      Originally posted by Angelo89
                      Donaire 4-1

Comment

Working...
                      X