Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gerald McClellan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was an amzing fighter. Full credit to Benn for coming back from a battering round one to win in the 10th via TKO. It was strange to see McClellan slump down onto one knee and be there for the full count. Waste of talent to sustain that amount of brain damage.

Comment

What you all are failing to point out....is the reason he lost to Benn....& why had he taken Benn out in that first round, he would have been easily beaten by Jones.
      The dude totally forgot how to box, by '95. Too many quick & easy KO's...& getting rid of Manny Steward.

He just threw the right, & occasionally follwed with the hook to the body.
      No real jab, no combos, no patience- whatsoever.

He had the ability, power, & foundation for greatness.....but things became too easy for him in the ring, & that cost him his career.

Comment

He didn't totally forget how to box, there was nothing wrong with him. The reason for this fights outcome is because he took Benn way to lightly and failed to realise he would actually need to box in this fight. If he had fought Roy Jones Jr, do you really think he would have tried the first round knockout stunt? He knew RJJ was able to withstand that, but not Benn (who turned out to be way tougher than anyone imagined). One question I always aked myself was why didn't Benn fight Jones? He'd just beaten McClellan, who was pretty much a stepping stone up to Jones..

Comment

Originally posted by supaduck
          He didn't totally forget how to box, there was nothing wrong with him. The reason for this fights outcome is because he took Benn way to lightly and failed to realise he would actually need to box in this fight. If he had fought Roy Jones Jr, do you really think he would have tried the first round knockout stunt? He knew RJJ was able to withstand that, but not Benn (who turned out to be way tougher than anyone imagined). One question I always aked myself was why didn't Benn fight Jones? He'd just beaten McClellan, who was pretty much a stepping stone up to Jones..
          Good question, and what a fight that would have been. To be fair though, the Mclellan fight ruined Benn and I think Roy would have made mince meat of him after it.

Comment

Oh its very interesting. Could you provide me more information ?

johntvery@operamail.com

johntvery@hotmail.com

Comment

Geralds defence wasnt great. As we saw in the Benn fight.

If a super middleweight Nigel Benn (kinda slow in my opinion, and without a great chin) can beat him, then i dont see Jones who was powerful and exceptionally quick at super middleweight would have had that much of a problem with Gerald.

Comment

He would have fought Jones if he didnt get beaten my Malinga.

Jones would have destroyed old Benn.

Comment

Geralds defence wasnt great. As we saw in the Benn fight. If a super middleweight Nigel Benn (kinda slow in my opinion, and without a great chin) can beat him, then i dont see Jones who was powerful and exceptionally quick at super middleweight would have had that much of a problem with Gerald.
                  Your forgetting that the fight ended because McClellan had a brain clot which could have killed him. Had Benn not thrown any rabbit punches or that headbutt, McClellan may have actually beat him

He absolutely nailed him in the first, but failed to land on the chin. Plus didn't McClellan beat Jones in the amateurs? I think in the pros McClellan probably would have beat him.

Comment

Your forgetting that the fight ended because McClellan had a brain clot which could have killed him. Had Benn not thrown any rabbit punches or that headbutt, McClellan may have actually beat him

He absolutely nailed him in the first, but failed to land on the chin. Plus didn't McClellan beat Jones in the amateurs? I think in the pros McClellan probably would have beat him.
                    I wouldnt say Benn headbutted him. Certainatly not on purpose, he fell over, and barley caught McClellan with his head. Plus that was at the end of the fight. The rabbit punches were bad. But he took huge right hands and left hooks for 10 rounds. Maybe they were more the cause of the bloodclot?
                    McClellan seemed to be in trouble from the 5th round. His breathing was very heavy and he started blinking later.

The Benn fight is not a great example of McClellan, because we dont know how early on he was in trouble.

But, he couldnt finish Benn off, plus wen he tried boxing, he wasnt effective. If Benn could catch him, Jones would have easily.
                    But like i said, McClellan wasnt right from early on.

Comment

If he had fought Roy Jones Jr, do you really think he would have tried the first round knockout stunt?
                      He promised that Jones Jr wouldn't last two rounds with him.

Comment

Working...
                      X